Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: 22 Fun in the wind!

22 Fun in the wind!

It's confirmed - I'm a 22RF nut and the other day a CZ 457 Synthetic 20" pencil barrel" followed me home.

It shoots astoundingly well, I'm out of my "top shelf" ammos so I haven't reached its limits yet, but it has been shooting my good ammos such as Norma Tac-22 and S&B HP subs reliability into sub 0.5" groups at 50M - and I mean reliably!

It was blowing like heck here this evening ahead of the front - a boiling, gusting, rollicking rambunctious 40 plus km/h. Coming across my 50M range between 10 and 11 o'clock.

So I went out to shoot. The wind was sometimes rocking me on the bench. I got 3 groups shot in about 5 min in fading light. Shots were not timed for wind, I just let them go when I could hold target centre.

Here is the result:

Name:  20230405_195338.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  1.84 MB

Average is 0.89. That's a lot less than I thought it would be ( even at 50M) and it sorta makes one wonder why I'm so wary of sighting in and testing in the wind - I often postpone 100M CF testing when there's 10 Km/h or more and really it wouldn't make a big difference especially if shots were timed for consistent wind condition.

Cheers
    madjon_, mudgripz, zimmer and 3 others like this.

I am just getting enthusiastic about 22rf shooting again after an absence of just on a year.
    Quite keen on a CZ 457 but after my lemon 455 said I would never buy another CZ.
    Watching Pursuit Of Accuracy and others I may be tempted but will probably treat myself to a B14R, despite its poor bolt operation.

I usually set up targets at 50, 75 and 100 but if windy I sometimes don't even fire a shot at 100. With the availability of decent ammo I don't wish to waste it in windy conditions.
    @Tentman do you set up any windflags?

I recall one night up in mackenzie basin,shooting rabbits for commercial dogtucker as fundfaiser for Timaru NZDA @waimo may remember this as he was with us....howling NW wind,Kerry ORouke and I were still managing consistant hits but other guys gave up..I was aiming 3/4 of a rabbit length off into wind,8-10'' in order to achieve hits..... it was eye watering conditions that is for sure. one of those times when you just make most of it as the fuel expended came out of own pockets and profits were for club. fun times
    mudgripz likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters