Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 22 LR ammo test

When I was competing the “ Big Dogs “ mostly used Eley Black box ammo and had special chamber reamers to suit it .
    My rifle seemed to prefer the Lapua / SK line of ammo which suited me because of the greater selection, with the Harrel barrel tuner dialed in accuracy was superb.......... but then the wind started to blow

Rimfire accuracy is an absolute mind bender with many emotional highs and lows .
    muzr257, 10-Ring and MB like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Interested to see the velocity results Greg. Tested a shit load of some of the best names out there through my CZ Varmint and that Eley Black match came out trumps. Literally 5 shots through the same hole at 50y. Only really shoot CCI std velocity through it now though as it shoots small ragged single hole groups.. at half the cost per brick its a no brainier for my rifles 90% bunny busting purpose.
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    When I was competing the “ Big Dogs “ mostly used Eley Black box ammo and had special chamber reamers to suit it .
    My rifle seemed to prefer the Lapua / SK line of ammo which suited me because of the greater selection, with the Harrel barrel tuner dialed in accuracy was superb.......... but then the wind started to blow

Rimfire accuracy is an absolute mind bender with many emotional highs and lows .
    Shooting a benchrest 22 at 50 metres outside is a truly humbling experience, flags & all.......

We are looking at doing it a 100

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    So true, just when I think I've cracked it, I can't repeat my results.
    Cordite likes this.

I find cci-subs, most accurate over a range of different makes and years of .22's, moderated or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rewa View Post
    I find cci-subs, most accurate over a range of different makes and years of .22's, moderated or not.
    Just bought a small brick of those two days ago... you have filled me with advance confidence.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

MB
    I've settled on CCI Subsonic. Tried a few. CCI Standard and Eley Subsonic grouped slightly worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I've settled on CCI Subsonic. Tried a few. CCI Standard and Eley Subsonic grouped slightly worse.
    Makes sense for longer range, the supersonics may have gone through (or be in) the transonic wobble by the time they reach the target, with a resulting drop in accuracy.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

MB
    All the ammo I've tried seriously have been subsonic. The CCI Standard are subsonic - stupid name! I don't see the point of supersonic ammo in 22LR. It's less accurate and if you're going to make that much noise, then why not 17HMR or 22WMR for flatter trajectories?

I thought that I might use subsonic for close range and supersonic for longer range, but having two points of aim is confusing. Also, I never got adequate accuracy with the supersonics at long range and fiddling around with 22LR rounds at night was impractical.

I've come to the same conclusion. If you do have enough money for two rifles the 17hmr should p**s all over the supersonic 22LR. I haven't even fired supersonic ammo through my new 22.

I did get better killing from the supersonic (winch powerpoint) than their subsonic. Just that bit easier to connect well I think.
    I was fortunate that my old norinco would shoot subsonic with suppressor to 25 HD zero on the same sight setting that put the PowerPoint without suppressor bang on a 50. Very convenient.

I use CCI velocitor a bit when hunting hares over open ground,will post a photo tomorrow of how it groups in my Brno,the CCI subs are my go to for most small game though.

Huge subsonic SK Gold box fan, but even their cheap "magazine" ammo is outstanding at 100 yds through a 10" Anshultz pistol. A bit greasy so might gum up semi-autos after a while but bloody accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by ihmsakiwi View Post
    Huge subsonic SK Gold box fan,
    The old gold box Std+ is much better than my new yellow box Std +

CCI subs shoot the best in my old Model 1 of the ones I have tried , stingers were terrible

Old days shooting comps, eley tenex (red box) was the bees knees. Eley match (black) was next. Shooting a anshultz 1913. Was a good Wednesday made barrel and action though - the factory test card was 1 hole... the shooter let that rifle down......

Now days, ruger 10/22, cci subs, rough 1 hole groups at 50, and only slightly bigger at 100 if the nut behind the trigger does their job. Need to try some eley to compare....

Winchester subs, power point, - crap.

However Winchester subs are great from daughters savage rascal. Cci subs not so great

Goes to prove, rifles can prefer some ammo.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....