Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grouping

Grouping

I've been pretty unimpressed with my Benjamin Varmint .22 air rifle, as it often seems to need resighting in, even when using nothing but AccuPells.
    Preferred my Stoeger A30 but big bro has that now.

Today tried some H&N Terminators and they seem good, but from 10 metres away I can't get my grouping any closer than an 30mm apart. Isn't this a terribly large group at that short range?
    Considering my main prey is Rats..although every one I've shot has died pretty quickly, even the chest shots. Seems the max distance I shoot rats at is 10 or less anyway.

No wind today
    Cleaned the bore with a snake about 50 shots ago
    Scope is a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3 x 9x40 AO, all mounts tight, evenly spaced.

This thing recoils a lot, wondering if it's half the problem. I'm using a canvas gun bag full of rice as a rest so not rock hard.
    Should I oil the bore at all before I clean it out?

I'm loving the look of the Umarex Octane Elite with the shockproof system, seems to work really well judging by reviews..I'm tempted, starting to think the Benjamin is a Friday afternoon assembly job! Mind you it was bought online from an NZ company, and the seller didn't wrap the box or gun at all, so it arrived from the courier all shook up with the barrel shroud loose. Wish you could name and shame. He was a real cockhead to deal with.

Anyway enough moaning. At 10 metres what size groupings should I reliably expect?
    I've tried following pellets:

Accupel, gun seems to like them, about 15g
    H&N Barracuda, seem okay but obviously slower, about 18.5g
    H&N Terminator, ditto, about 18g
    Stoeger X Hunt pointed, seem good, about 15g
    Norica wadcutters, couldn't hit the house from 10 metres with those, unknown grains
    Gamo Pro Magnum, even worse than the Noricas, terribly inconsistent, I actually threw the tin out! 15.5 grains
    Cometa Exact (JSB)? seem good, 18 grains.

Name:  IMG_20190709_162024.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  3.13 MB

have you washed the lead out of the barrel ?
    i would then mark where the scope rings sit both on the scope and the rifle and see if anything is migrating

MB
    10 metres? I'd want one hole.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    10 metres? I'd want one hole.
    got the mrs a ruger airhawk awhile back for shooting rodents in her mates hayshed. and it shoots thumbnail sized holes at 10m for a cheap gun with a cheap scope

Cheers guys, although I'm pissed at that pathetic grouping, I'm glad you agree its bad..now I know for sure! But I did get a headshot on a Mynah this arvo..that HAS to be a fluke!!
    Incidentally the groupings with the other slugs are worse...

As for cleaning the barrel I've just used a bore snake only.

Got me beat. Online reviews of this particular rifle praise it's accuracy..I'm wondering if there is something a little off with it TBH?

I shoot using the gun rest bag, or the artillery hold if I can, I don't rest the gun on anything "hard"
    Don't rush my shots
    Watch my breathing, sounds stupid but I try to relax before shooting
    I don't drop, or knock the scope around, but good point about marking the scope, it does have aftermarket mounting rings, as the supplied were too narrow.

I would take the scope off, if the gun had sights, but it has none!
    It jumps a lot when firing. Have done the trigger mod as the original trigger was awful, so any screws undone are securely done up.

I know its almost a toy being an air rifle, but I thought it would group better. Seems to me its $400 down the plughole.

I've wondered if i'd be better off with a 1000FPS .177, as this is probably only doing 800FPS or so in .22? Prefer the .22 for killing power but if this is as accurate as it gets, I may as well throw dildos at the rats!

Anybody else shot it ? might establish if you're the variable.

Hi Max, yep I'm waiting for the next shift at work to start, as a mate there will take it and have a go...although he is used to proper rifles. He set up the Stoeger I bought a while ago. If he has any issues I'll $1 reserve it, and buy another brand. Waste of money, but I want to shoot the rats reliably and accurately..I have shot heaps of rats now with it, but with that grouping I can't "trust" my shots. In this $1 reserve scenario, I'll keep the scope as that's $150 by itself. I feel I've tried everything I can think of with it.

Is the scope rated for air rifles as the recoil is pretty serve with springer rifles?

Hi yeah I asked Craftys when I bought it about that, he reckons all good.

artillery hold???? Im guessing this is where it looks like you are hugging yourself eg offside hand is on rear of stock.....

looks like you still havent tried the winchester old school cheap ones yet.... Ive got a gamo 177 and happily shoot black birds and starlings at 10mtrs with open sights.... a workmate was having similar issues to yourself..I took his airgun home and tried it...swapped scope for a buggered/fogged 2 3/4 power I hadnt chucked yet...shot same as with his scope..I then tried diferent holding techniques.... it make a HUGE difference.