Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: 223 for deer hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Is that you chomping on the supplejack VC?
    no that is bald bob

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    no that is bald bob

Solid unit
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Yes as I was saying that was a problem inn places like the Ureweras where we did a lot of shooting. It was mostly slip and riverbed shooting there. But when a deer carrying a bit of lead made it into the podocarp it was not that easy to finish off unless you had the AR15 handy.

Ah I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Solid unit
    He is the DonKey (private joke on many levels )

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    He is the DonKey (private joke on many levels )
    Enough said
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Banned
    I have 90 grain hollow point loaded for 223 they work well

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by kawekakid View Post
    I have 90 grain hollow point loaded for 223 they work well
    I have over the years developed an affection for the hollow point. Kawekakid I have been eyeing the hollows that xring is making with interest. I just think a 60gr hollow point projectile would be the best in my rifle.

Mostly this is just intuition but I have this feeling. Up until recently I Have been using the lighter hollow points on deer with good success but I feel they are a bit frangible.

a couple of months ago scribe did a great article on the 222. seeing the bullet hitting the deer through the scope . when using a 223 with 75 gr to 90 gr bullets is that still possible and also what about a 243 with 85gr. cheers

yes and yes

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftrevor View Post
    a couple of months ago scribe did a great article on the 222. seeing the bullet hitting the deer through the scope . when using a 223 with 75 gr to 90 gr bullets is that still possible and also what about a 243 with 85gr. cheers
    I have not had a 223 that I thought would stabilise a 75 to 90 gr so don't use them. Current rifle is 1 in 12 twist so 60's are the highest I go. I have such success with the fast 55's and that is what I am currently loading.

These suit my method of shooting through the ribs admirably. It doesn't take a heavy bullet to break in and the organ damage from the 55gr is something to see. Rib shots give a wide margin of error. (Base of the neck to last rib)

On a long shot I might hit the shoulder, though I curse the loss of meat as both shoulders are often destroyed.

Now I content myself with one deer at a time. But if I want a second I will shoot the lead animal on the last rib back destroying the liver but keeping it on its feet for the few seconds necessary to kill the other.

Head and neck are a sometimes shot and I have no complaints with the 55's there either.

If I went back to the 243 (though that is not likely now) I would continue to use the 85 sierra HPBT because we had such success with them over the years.

This may be an old fashioned view. But dead is dead and as far as I know there are no degrees of dead. It is a long time since I wounded a deer.
    Last edited by Scribe; 26-11-2014 at 12:30 PM.

second part of my question is. I bought my rifle brand new 50 years ago, a parker hale 270. it is a great accurate rifle but I have never seen the bullet hit the deer. it is the only rifle I have used is this normal or is it bad technique.I have toyed with the idea of getting a 223 but not if I am not able to see the bullet hit the deer.

Never under estimate the mighty 223. Ive shot all my deer with it up to 180-200m and all have been accounted for with the 55gr. Shot placement is key, but it makes you a better hunter I believe.
    gadgetman and Dougie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftrevor View Post
    second part of my question is. I bought my rifle brand new 50 years ago, a parker hale 270. it is a great accurate rifle but I have never seen the bullet hit the deer. it is the only rifle I have used is this normal or is it bad technique.I have toyed with the idea of getting a 223 but not if I am not able to see the bullet hit the deer.
    If you are able to follow through on your shot and watch it you should be able to see the bullet impact on the deer. Generally though at closer ranges with a higher powered rifle you won't see the bullet impact as in the time it takes for you to recover from the recoil it has already hit the deer. A rifle with less recoil allows you to watch the shot a bit easier.
    Dougie likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

nothing wrong with 223 deer cullers used 222 for years.... as others have said shot placement is important as with any rifle but more so as you go down in cal
    my advice would be plenty of range time I would do shooting at all distances starting at 25m and working in 25m increments 25,50,75,100,125,150 and so on so and write it all down
    for example
    25m 1" high
    50m 1/2" high
    75m 1/4" high
    100m dead on
    125m 1/4 inch low
    and so on you could even tape the info to your butt for quick reference so you know exactly where your shot is going at said distance so you can be dead on the mark when you need to make it count
    Happy likes this.

I have not had a 223 that I thought would stabilise a 75 to 90 gr so don't use them. Current rifle is 1 in 12 twist so 60's are the highest I go. I have such success with the fast 55's and that is what I am currently loading.
    Dad and I use the sierra 63gr SMPs - they are simply deadly on deer. As you mention the worst bit about shoulder shooting them is you loose the meat. My 223 is a 1:9 twist and Dad's a 1:12 twist. Both stabilise the 63gr projectiles fine.

If I went back to the 243 (though that is not likely now) I would continue to use the 85 sierra HPBT because we had such success with them over the years.
    Yep, using these in my .243 at the moment. And I thought my 223 was bad for damaging meat! The 85gr Sierra HPBTs kill stuff dead - very impressed!