Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: 223 for deer hunting?

You don't automaticly have to discard the shoulders if shot there, usually the actual damage is confined to a 3 inch diameter circle, yes there will be blood between the muscles but the muscles themselves will usually be fine if separated and trimmed.

just saying

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    GWH likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    You don't automaticly have to discard the shoulders if shot there, usually the actual damage is confined to a 3 inch diameter circle, yes there will be blood between the muscles but the muscles themselves will usually be fine if separated and trimmed.

just saying

Some shoulders are of the yearlings I have shot are real bad. I am not picky but I even have trouble persuading the Labs its edible. It smells like meat but it sure doesn't look like or have the texture of meat that I would eat.

Usually a few razor sharp slivers of copper with pulverised shards of bone are mixed in with it that I would hate to bite on or swallow. I gnashed a piece of steel shot recently that nearly knackered a tooth and sent me out of my seat hollering like a Bantu.
    scotty and Northlander like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    I gnashed a piece of steel shot recently that nearly knackered a tooth and sent me out of my seat hollering like a Bantu.
    Oh the mental image that conjures. I have broken more than one tooth through sitar experiences. Not fun at all.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Dad and I use the sierra 63gr SMPs - they are simply deadly on deer. As you mention the worst bit about shoulder shooting them is you loose the meat. My 223 is a 1:9 twist and Dad's a 1:12 twist. Both stabilise the 63gr projectiles fine.

Yep, using these in my .243 at the moment. And I thought my 223 was bad for damaging meat! The 85gr Sierra HPBTs kill stuff dead - very impressed!
    I was wondering if anything over sixty grains would stabilise in the 1.12 twist Gillie. Thanks for that information. Yes those Sierra 85 hollow point can make a mess. Shoot ribs or head and neck.

Whats the easiest way to work out the twist rate of your barrel if you dont know it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Whats the easiest way to work out the twist rate of your barrel if you dont know it?
    a tight patch on cleaning rod.
    mark its depth and rotation then pull out slowly till it has done one turn and mark.
    measure between marks, 12 inches would be 1 in 12 or one turn for every 12 inches.

Carpe Diem likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

mark its depth and rotation then pull out slowly till it has done one turn and mark.
    measure between marks, 12 inches would be 1 in 12 or one turn for every 12 inches.

+1

Or if its a modern rifle google it, most manufacturers will post their twist rates.

What rifle is it?
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Dad and I use the sierra 63gr SMPs - they are simply deadly on deer.

Yep, using these in my .243 at the moment. And I thought my 223 was bad for damaging meat! The 85gr Sierra HPBTs kill stuff dead - very impressed!
    @Gillie would you mind sharing powder and starting point load data ?
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Its a ZKK 601 brno 223. I knew how to do the rod thing but have only a pull through so not sure if it will work properly.

Very Useful Cam - especially if you suspect it may have been re-barrelled.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Its a ZKK 601 brno 223. I knew how to do the rod thing but have only a pull through so not sure if it will work properly.

I am pretty sure those had a 1:12 twist.
    No, the pull through won't work
    Rusky likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    @Gillie would you mind sharing powder and starting point load data ?
    @Happy

In the 223 with the Sierra 63gr SMPs i am using BM2 powder. Starting For a starting load i would recommend 24gr and work your way from there.

In the 243 with the Sierra 85gr HPBT i suggest you work with your reloading manual. I am running a relatively hot load with these.

Nakihunter
    Came upon this old thread as I have just bought a Tikka T3X Superlite Aspire in 223Rem. I love the rifle & have tried 2 bullets - Hornady 55 gr SP cannelure & Sierra 60gr HP. Just 60 rounds fires in 5 shot groups & some promising 1 inch groups could be fine tuned. The Dierra 60gr HP does not feed properly as the HP tip hits the barrel edge and does not feed into the chamber.

I also have some old bullets - 55 gr Nosler Flat base SP and Sierra 60 gr SP. I think the 60gr SP will feed like other SPs and may be good on fallow deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    I have over the years developed an affection for the hollow point. Kawekakid I have been eyeing the hollows that xring is making with interest. I just think a 60gr hollow point projectile would be the best in my rifle.

Mostly this is just intuition but I have this feeling. Up until recently I Have been using the lighter hollow points on deer with good success but I feel they are a bit frangible.

Good to see my opinion from 11 years ago was correct
    7mmsaum, nor-west and Micky Duck like this.