Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 22LR Technique or Rifle Issue?

@Growlybear it's just resting your hand on top of the scope. In theory it reduces some of the movement from breathing, and consistently settles the rifle into the bag. Which may help with first round shots. Disclaimer: the 22 seems to like it, and my Swede hates it.
    @Micky Duck applying rearward pressure with both hands, or just the forend?
    Growlybear likes this.

Greetings,
    .22 RF rifles have a long barrel time (the projectile takes a while to get to the end) and punish any lack of follow through (keeping the hold the same after the shot) severely. Get someone to watch you shoot the rifle to see if you are lifting your head or flicking your finger off the trigger at the shot. You may not be aware of it but an observer will spot it right away. Shooting at 35 metres needs a scope free of parallax at that distance rather than a high power scope. I don't think it is the rifle.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Barry the hunter and Arced like this.

The other thing I've noticed over the years when i take someone out and observe them is a lot of people close their eyes just as they fire the shot and they dont even know they are doing it..
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Just an idea , get someone else to shoot it and that will eliminate you out of the equation.
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Growlybear View Post
    Not being an arse, but why would one hold the scope?
    Bipod technique. It works (if done right).
    Growlybear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Bipod technique. It works (if done right).
    Well, bugger me. It seems an unnatural way to hold a rifle, but I don't use a bipod.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetite View Post
    @Growlybear it's just resting your hand on top of the scope. In theory it reduces some of the movement from breathing, and consistently settles the rifle into the bag. Which may help with first round shots. Disclaimer: the 22 seems to like it, and my Swede hates it.
    @Micky Duck applying rearward pressure with both hands, or just the forend?
    forestock only....you holding it firmly..not squeazing it to death...the trigger hand is far more relaxed or will twist things.
    breathing SHOULD take Xhairs up and down through bulls eye...time it so you have a mini pause of breath as centre it and squeaze off...that technique is as old as the hills....
    if you think your posture/hold is good. close eyes for a count of 20 and when open them,the Xhairs will still be on target.
    john m, Magnetite and Hugh Shields like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Banned
    I would be getting another competant shooter to shoot your rifle. Compare results .

Often times its the nut behind the butt , although its natural to blame yourself last.

A very hold sensitive rifle is not an accurate rifle.

What is the rifle?
    Bagheera and Grey Kiwi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jusepy81 View Post
    Just an idea , get someone else to shoot it and that will eliminate you out of the equation.
    More helpful would be for the OP to put up some groups fired from a known good rifle.
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

If you have no clearance between barrel and rifle stock then I'd look at free floating the barrel.
    Although you are 'resting' the stock on the rest, if the stock is touching the barrel then you are effectively also resting the barrel on the rest.
    What 'front rest' did you use? (though I'm fairly sure it's not a SEB or a Farley).
    What padding did the front rest have...any at all, hard, soft, etc?
    How good is the trigger? Hard to pull, lots of travel, etc? Can you adjust it to be better?
    What rifle? Ruger 10-22? (rough guess there).
    That ammo should be fine, but .22 rimfire rifles are picky. But your targets suggest other problems before looking at ammo choice.
    Bagheera likes this.
    Artillery...landscape adjustment since 1300AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Kiwi View Post
    If you have no clearance between barrel and rifle stock then I'd look at free floating the barrel.
    Although you are 'resting' the stock on the rest, if the stock is touching the barrel then you are effectively also resting the barrel on the rest.
    What 'front rest' did you use? (though I'm fairly sure it's not a SEB or a Farley).
    What padding did the front rest have...any at all, hard, soft, etc?
    How good is the trigger? Hard to pull, lots of travel, etc? Can you adjust it to be better?
    What rifle? Ruger 10-22? (rough guess there).
    That ammo should be fine, but .22 rimfire rifles are picky. But your targets suggest other problems before looking at ammo choice.
    hang on whoa up before ya go at it with angle grinder and a large hammer get someone who is a good shooter to see what they can do with it - my intuition tells me this is a breathing or hold or technique issue and not a mechanical problem

That 2nd photo where you held the scope was damn good except for one shot however I have never heard of anyone doing that and nor would I ever do it myself but it would suggest the riffle can group.

I also thought your barrel must have been touching the front rest but you have ruled that out.

Shooting group too fast, hot barrel?

Windy perhaps?

If you could replicate target 2 off the rest I would say it is sufficent.
    When hunting think safety first