Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 243

why not just rebarel to 308 and all your problems solved
    A330driver likes this.

wash your mouth out you heathen you!!!!!!!!!
    Jaco Goosen likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if she shoots straight......plenty heaps of love..... one thing for sure it will have a heap more soul than a spastic plastic T3.
    hears hoping.... the buy was a bit of a gamble the photos didnt say much and the description was a little vague, dont know for sure what model it is even......so could be something special ...or not
    best case its a rare one (if there is such a thing) worst case its shot out and needs a rebarrel

lifes an adventure
    Micky Duck and blip like this.

any second hand rifle is a gamble
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Fiocchi.

Bus driver
    I use the 80gr TTSX…….was told ther 80 grain was not good or intended for deer!!!??….not sure where that information came from or was even correct……Ive had NO issues with dropping deer…..most will advise somewhere between 85-100 gr……have a play
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Bus driver
    …..forgot…..95 grain Nosler Ballistic tip or Accubond ….the Nostler Partition ,or hornady 95 gr using SST or Barnes TSX bullets……..great accuracy and penetration
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

so what im hearing is stay under 100gr and 80-87 is the sweet spot in general terms......so i will start from there and try a few different brands and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    …..forgot…..95 grain Nosler Ballistic tip or Accubond ….the Nostler Partition ,or hornady 95 gr using SST or Barnes TSX bullets……..great accuracy and penetration
    yes ii know someone using the SST with good results.....an option for when i start reloading for it

wash your mouth out you heathen you!!!!!!!!!
    I knew I would get a bite

If you end up going with lighter projectiles make sure they are sturdy enough for big animals. The Blitz and Vmax types aren't designed for big game. They will work on light animals but you will likely loose a few big animals with them. I religiously ran 100grain Hornady and always had a good run with them. Still run them in one rifle.
    In another rifle I now use 87 grain Hornady spire points, and 85 grain Interbonds if there's a bit more at stake. These both shoot in the same group at a hundred yards.
    The only projectiles I had a bad run with were Lapua Mega 90 grains. I had to give a number of stags a second shot with those. My mate I hunted with at the time commented on how deer that shouldn't have were getting up.
    Micky Duck and A330driver like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

If using Vmax on say goat, fallow where is folks preferred POA? Say at 150-250m
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    If using Vmax on say goat, fallow where is folks preferred POA? Say at 150-250m
    two choices.....dead in the crease if angle is right..or head/neck...if those arent on offer,let it walk..... not a heck of a lot different from using same family of projectiles in any cartridge.

yip you MIGHT get away with shoulder shot 9 times out of 10 , but that 10th one will haunt you.... those pills designed to break up fast so exploding inside chest cavity or partial decapitation are the most reliable killing shots.
    Jhon and Roarless20 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

two choices.....dead in the crease if angle is right..or head/neck...if those arent on offer,let it walk..... not a heck of a lot different from using same family of projectiles in any cartridge.

yip you MIGHT get away with shoulder shot 9 times out of 10 , but that 10th one will haunt you.... those pills designed to break up fast so exploding inside chest cavity or partial decapitation are the most reliable killing shots.
    or re barrel to 308
    A330driver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    not hearing a lot of love for the dirty old PH......... surely there was a good one made once ...... maybe on a tuesday before lunch at the pub?
    Very serviceable mauser 98s I like them. I'm fond of the 303 sporters as well.
    Micky Duck likes this.