Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 101
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: 257 roberts

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    223

    257 roberts

    any one shooting one ?
    how does it compare to the 25-06 and 22-250 thanks
    shooting .17 ackley hornet so size dos'nt matter

  2. #2
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,009
    With modern powders, and in particular H Hybrid v100, the .257 is right up the arse of the 25.06 for less powder and less drama.


    I've got one based on a small ring Brno Mauser and new trueflight barrel. You or anyone else can have it for $750 with rings. I'm cutting right back on the number of rifles I own and don't use.
    Wildman likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Posts
    36
    I shoot a .257 Roberts Ack Imp BSA Majestic action with a Douglas barrel. Tahr is right, with modern powders, ADI 2213SC and Norma 205, and Berger 115gr VLD hunting it will do anything the 25-06 will do.
    "Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting"

  4. #4
    Member Shearer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tasman
    Posts
    3,074
    It is not as good as either.
    Not as good for big game as the 06 and not as good as the 22-250 for small game.
    There is a reason it has faded into obscurity.
    It has novelty value but little else going for it.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

  5. #5
    Caretaker Wildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    It is not as good as either.
    Not as good for big game as the 06 and not as good as the 22-250 for small game.
    There is a reason it has faded into obscurity.
    It has novelty value but little else going for it.
    Not as good, it's better...
    The 25-06 is literally a waste of space...
    LittleDave likes this.

  6. #6
    Member Shearer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tasman
    Posts
    3,074
    Why?
    Because it will shot the same bullets faster?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

  7. #7
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,736
    257 Bob as good as 2506? really, yeah-nah, pass the Tui mate!

    Show me the .257 Roberts that can launch a 120gn Speer Grandslam at 3200, or a 100gn Swift or TTSX at 3400.

    The Roberts is a nice wee short to medium range calibre for small to medium animals.

    The Roberts to Remington comparison is pretty much the same deal as comparing .260 Rem to .264 Win mag.
    Shearer likes this.

  8. #8
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    It is not as good as either.
    Not as good for big game as the 06 and not as good as the 22-250 for small game.
    There is a reason it has faded into obscurity.
    It has novelty value but little else going for it.
    Were you disappointed with the one that you had when you compared it to your 25.06 on deer? What were its main draw backs in your opinion?

  9. #9
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,009
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    257 Bob as good as 2506? really, yeah-nah, pass the Tui mate!

    Show me the .257 Roberts that can launch a 120gn Speer Grandslam at 3200, or a 100gn Swift or TTSX at 3400.

    The Roberts is a nice wee short to medium range calibre for small to medium animals.

    The Roberts to Remington comparison is pretty much the same deal as comparing .260 Rem to .264 Win mag.
    Its not about how fast, its about being fast enough. At 2,900 with 120 grn, or 3000 with a 110 grn Interbond the 257 is fast enough to kill anything in this country.

  10. #10
    Member Shearer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tasman
    Posts
    3,074
    Never wanted to buy one as there were better options as a deer calibre imo. (and due to the lack of popularity of the Roberts, I am not the only one who thinks so.)
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    223
    looks like i opened up a can of worms
    everyone running for the ugly and whup arse sticks
    shooting .17 ackley hornet so size dos'nt matter

  12. #12
    Gone But Not Forgotten Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Posts
    11,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Why?
    Because it will shot the same bullets faster?
    Because its related to a .270 and thats reason enough to stay away
    Wildman, BRADS and Shearer like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

  13. #13
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Its not about how fast, its about being fast enough. At 2,900 with 120 grn, or 3000 with a 110 grn Interbond the 257 is fast enough to kill anything in this country.
    In any .25 cal, if you want to kill clean and fast at range, speed is everything because bc is lacking compared to say,6.5, I can reliably kill Tahr at +400yds fast and clean, I would be reluctant at 300yds with a Roberts on a strong bull, lots of yanks use 2506 on Elk, it is one of the top selling calibres in the US, but you don't hear about them using the Roberts on those or the Dall Ram ect, using your argument we could all dump our .308's and use 30-30's instead.

  14. #14
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,009
    Hang about. The 120 grn .257 has a higher SD and BC of the equivalent 6.5

    I just think you guys have got the hates on the .257 Roberts because it is low key, not flashy and not full of bullshit.
    Wildman and shooternz like this.

  15. #15
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hang about. The 120 grn .257 has a higher SD and BC of the equivalent 6.5

    I just think you guys have got the hates on the .257 Roberts because it is low key, not flashy and not full of bullshit.
    And what, is the G1 bc for the 123 Sierra Matchking and 123 Amax in 6.5? Was thinking about the usefull 6.5 bullets like 130/140 VLD and 140 Amax ect, heavy for calibre as is 120gn for .257.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 15ish .257 Roberts +P RNSP
    By EK9132 in forum Projectile and Factory Ammo Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 01:04 PM
  2. .257 Roberts wanted
    By nor-west in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 18-05-2012, 05:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!