Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: 257 roberts

Ejected
    What one did you buy?
    Don't take anything to that green place. The gunsmith is whoever is handy in the shop....
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hang about. The 120 grn .257 has a higher SD and BC of the equivalent 6.5

I just think you guys have got the hates on the .257 Roberts because it is low key, not flashy and not full of bullshit.
    gotta compare apples with apples,,had one 45 yrs ago now run a 6.5 wildcat

I brought a new weatherby stainless vanguard in 257weatherby and got it shooting good with 110grn accubonds at around 3400 it was the shnizzle on goats but it weighed a ton traded for a tikka t3 6.5x55 which was way more sensible and quieter.
    Jimmynostars likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    What one did you buy?
    Don't take anything to that green place. The gunsmith is whoever is handy in the shop....
    No, I just got my money back. I am too old to buy project rifles.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    If you don't like it because you think its 'obsolete', that's fine, but I think you would have to get creative to make an argument that you couldn't hunt anything you liked in this country with one and do just as well as any other high powered rifle cartridge, except with less recoil. But people who think that way are usually .308 or 7mm-08 owners, and shouldn't be allowed on threads about interesting cartridges.
    That's good.

I don't really see the point of 25cal guns, seems like a random projectile size that no companies seem bothered about. 2506 obviously has a bit of a following and is readily available in new guns, but unless you already owned one, theres no real reason to get a 257 Roberts or a 250 Savage, that is unless you just want to be different.

In that range of the caliber spectrum, if you wanted the most practical rifle possible you'd be better off to go for a 260 and load lighter bullets. The 120gr bullets have similar BCs to the equivalent 25cal ones and will do a similar speed to a 2506. But you then have the ability to load heavy bullets and have an awesome longrange rifle that'll take down anything in NZ.
    2506 might have better factory ammo choices, but Ive honestly never looked.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    You also said you'd be mad to use 120s in a 6.5?
    Now I don't know what to believe....
    Why would anyone use 120g in 6.5? For varmint/rabbit control???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

257 roberts

My two cents for fun... I have no experience with 257 nor 22-250. But my experience with .25-06, while I used to think it was an awesome calibre, I've seen and heard too many deer get away, even with very well placed shots (i.e. Straight through both third ribs).
    If reading between the lines of ego and preference from some of you, I pick out the crucial differences between the cartridges, it seems to me the 257 typically travels a bit slower and therefore packs a bit more punch, more successfully putting deer on the deck.
    I've had similar experiences with my old .308 where I'm now fairly convinced that projectiles travelling in excess of 3000fps are going too fast to generate the internal trauma required to put a large animal down so it stays down. These days I prefer my 6.5x55 because I'm yet to see any animal get up from a 140g SPBT, and I've recovered the last three mushroomed projectiles from my last three deer, with two of those just under the skin on the far side of bullet entry. My projectiles are doing 2560fps at the muzzle.
    Each to their own of course, but my unfounded love of super velocity calibres like .25-06 and .22-250 died quite some time ago.
    If I was long range target/varmint shooting however...hmmm

Last edited by Hunt4life; 10-07-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    Why would anyone use 120g in 6.5? For varmint/rabbit control???

Because they kill everything from big red stags and wap crosses down. And they do it well.
    25/08IMP likes this.

My two cents for fun... I have no experience with 257 nor 22-250. But my experience with .25-06, while I used to think it was an awesome calibre, I've seen and heard too many deer get away, even with very well placed shots (i.e. Straight through both third ribs).
    If reading between the lines of ego and preference from some of you, I pick out the crucial differences between the cartridges, it seems to me the 257 typically travels a bit slower and therefore packs a bit more punch, more successfully putting deer on the deck.
    I've had similar experiences with my old .308 where I'm now fairly convinced that projectiles travelling in excess of 3000fps are going too fast to generate the internal trauma required to put a large animal down so it stays down. These days I prefer my 6.5x55 because I'm yet to see any animal get up from a 140g SPBT, and I've recovered the last three mushroomed projectiles from my last three deer, with two of those just under the skin on the far side of bullet entry. My projectiles are doing 2560fps at the muzzle.
    Each to their own of course, but my unfounded love of super velocity calibres like .25-06 and .22-250 died quite some time ago.

Sounds like bad choice of projectile ive used .25 cal for years with projectiles doing over 3000fps and never had a deer run off.
    Hunt4life and 257weatherby like this.

^ only factory ammo used

Think you will find, that any given bullet, will carry more energy if travling faster, suspect your poor results are more to do with poor bullet choice or placement, A tsx or bonded bullet in a small deer may not expand fully, before exiting, or may need to strike bone and heavy tissue, ie threw the shoulder rather than behind the shoulder, like wise a varmint or too light a bullet, may not reach vitals,
    I tend to shoot threw the front shoulders, rather than behind, Right now I am in Canada, and most everyone up here shoots behind to save more meat, due to restrictions on tags, and amount of game that can be taken. But you don't get any runners, with both shoulders broken.
    If you have had a bad run fair enough, move on, personally, I think the 6.5- 7mm bore is more versatile for NZ conditions. love my M70 7x57, and .260
    Doesn't much matter what cal you use, if you put the wrong bullet in the right place, or the right bullet in the wrong place, results are generally poor.
    veitnamcam, mikee and 25/08IMP like this.

sneakywaza I got
    My 2506 kills everything I point it at,120gn Speer Grand Slam at 3200fps as the top round in the mag, in case it is close or tough or a bad angle, and 117gn Sierra Gamekings up next for past 350, never needed a second shot yet, including on Tahr out to nearly 500yd. Dunno about this shooting at the ribs carry on, I want animals to die fast and on the spot. I can punch the Grandslam clean through 10mm mild steel plate at 300yds, guess what happens to an animal shot through the shoulders........... irrespective of calibre (within reason) placement is everything, assuming sensible choice of projectile for the game hunted.
    25/08IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    but unless you already owned one, theres no real reason to get a 257 Roberts or a 250 Savage, that is unless you just want to be different.a
    You could be talking about the 6.5x47 fad that swept through here a few seasons back...

But since we are talking quarter bores here's my .25 worth. ...

The .25 calibers are so intrinsically gay that you may as well own one of the cuter oddball ones like the savage or the roberts, which are ironically more practical and just as useful. Then you won't need to defend the fact you own a a quarter bore

All this coming from a 250 Sav model 99 owner
    mikee likes this.

The 250. Now that's a whole nother story...

Pointer likes this.
    Dan M