Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 300 blackout

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Yep, just thought I'd clear that up in case anyone thought Sub-X were suitable for classic heart/lung shots as advertised.

This heart shot didn’t help me at all as this pig ran past excuse the vertical knife cut

I imagine deer and goats could be different but I don’t like tracking bleeding animals so wouldn’t take a shoulder shot given the opportunity with a subsonic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post

This heart shot didn’t help me at all as this pig ran past excuse the vertical knife cut

I imagine deer and goats could be different but I don’t like tracking bleeding animals so wouldn’t take a shoulder shot given the opportunity with a subsonic

Yeah, I've had some goats fall down with chest shots, but some didn't and then I stopped using Sub-X for anything other than head shots. It's a shame it didn't live up to the hype.

Yeah, I've had some goats fall down with chest shots, but some didn't and then I stopped using Sub-X for anything other than head shots. It's a shame it didn't live up to the hype.
    Im such a fan boy of it and think its the tops and moved up from 22lr subs to 165gr ballistic tips at 1000fps to this then on to 44s and 45s and the subx 190gr is still the best iv used

Iv smacked pigs out of a mob and all the others do is go and sniff the fallen one while I just pick another one off
    they start to catch on after the second one but two is already too many for me to carry
    Micky Duck likes this.

I'm looking to import some peregrine projectiles

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Im such a fan boy of it and think its the tops and moved up from 22lr subs to 165gr ballistic tips at 1000fps to this then on to 44s and 45s and the subx 190gr is still the best iv used

Iv smacked pigs out of a mob and all the others do is go and sniff the fallen one while I just pick another one off
    they start to catch on after the second one but two is already too many for me to carry

Just out of interest, do you think the more easily obtainable and cheaper typical FMJ 200+ gr subsonic 300BLK ammo would work for what you do?

MB
    Also came across this, might be worth a go.

https://belmontammo.co.nz/product/30...p-subsonic-50/

Just out of interest, do you think the more easily obtainable and cheaper typical FMJ 200+ gr subsonic 300BLK ammo would work for what you do?
    Subx just gives a little more margin for failure

My tikka 308 barrel and Brno 308 both probably wouldn’t stabilise the 200gr range as they are 1-10 twist so I couldn’t go heavier than the 165 ballistic tips I was using that were left overs essentially as they are too expensive to use to get fmj performance

Either way a cast lead projectile like the 151s Robert sells are perfect as everything exits and more energy into the environment behind them helps nothing

All the 300blk offers over subsonic 22lr is penitration
    And it seems to smash bone and things that would stop the 22lr wth ease

So long story short I haven’t tried them but don’t see them as any better than the 165s that would zip right thru anyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    tikka, Micky Duck and MB like this.

Im going to give the 160 ftx s a go shortly as my loads are all going super out of the 16 barrels the honady 205s factory were very accurate and quiet but that was out of a ar 10in baby killa , now long gone

As Mikee has said, Lehigh Defense 168gr controlled fracturing from Dean Masie. Has 3 petals a centre pin and base that all separate and cause separate wound channels. Will need a1:7 or 1:8 twist barrel to use them. I have put up photos of these projectiles in past posts.
    A mate and I have use theses on a small mob of deer (4) out to 280m on his farm, 2 300BLK in rem700 and my tikka 300BLK. The fatherest went 60m . Rangefinder and dialup scopes are needed along with trajectory validation to maximum shooting distance is a must. Most shots are under 60m to 20m and closest 3m on a bedded stag.
    I've just got myself a new pup and will be using the 300blk a lot until the pup is fully trained up.

Had very mixed results with 190gr sub-x and I don't really recommend them for body shot deer, too much tracking needed 1.5 km, not ideal without a good dog and not good on the animal.

Even if you don't run subsonics the 130gr and less supersonics are still a good option and a couple of mates prefer them than a 223rem for goat culling and for deer and quieter than a 223rem because of less powder being burnt.
    Micky Duck and MB like this.

Maybe to save the OP some effort, I tried to get some subsonic ammo with Lehigh projectiles put together by a commercial operator. No one wanted to take my money.
    Its not easy to just load and shoot as too many variables with subsonic ammo. If you had a 308 with fast twist I would be happy / could give you some of mine to try but whether or not they would be subsonic in your rifle is anyone's guess.
    MB likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Its not easy to just load and shoot as too many variables with subsonic ammo. If you had a 308 with fast twist I would be happy / could give you some of mine to try but whether or not they would be subsonic in your rifle is anyone's guess.
    Very nearly bought one at the weekend

Pulled this from a red. Lehigh 168gr CF by far the quickest killer for body heart lung hilar shots on red deer, are a lot more forgiving if shot placement is a little off because of the fracturing petals damages more organs than a standard mushrooming projectile.
    Had many bang flops with them.

Lehigh Defence 168gr Controlled fracturing and 198gr maximum expansion.

Roberts 151gr HP cast for daytime possums the dog points out and goats.
    208gr eld-m long range subs for 250m head shots.
    Lehigh Defence 168gr CF for deer only.
    And if I want to make some noise 125gr Nosler BT supersonic for everything

Bill999, Micky Duck, MB and 1 others like this.

https://www.tiktok.com/@peakviewrang...73687899915777

https://www.tiktok.com/@peakviewrang...73687899915777

This is a goat we xray'd after it was shot with a 150gr SST impact velocity was 1750fps at 110m

I do a lot of shooting with the blackout but when using sub sonics be prepared for a search like you would bow hunting.

Mmmm... I watched a Gunblue59 vid a while ago, last year sometime, where he dismissed the Blackout as the least useful/appropriate calibre ever sold to hunters. Does nothing well enough that existing calibres don't already do and better. Best left for its intended military purpose- an AR platform round for quiet close quarters fighting. Well that was his opinion anyway - after a lifetime of military and police weapons training, hunting and gunsmithing. Some validation for that view in this thread so far (ducking and diving)

But each to their own and if soneone wants to lend me one I'll happily try it out lol
    Micky Duck likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Mmmm... I watched a Gunblue59 vid a while ago, last year sometime, where he dismissed the Blackout as the least useful/appropriate calibre ever sold to hunters. Does nothing well enough that existing calibres don't already do and better. Best left for its intended military purpose- an AR platform round for quiet close quarters fighting. Well that was his opinion anyway - after a lifetime of military and police weapons training, hunting and gunsmithing. Some validation for that view in this thread so far (ducking and diving)

But each to their own and if soneone wants to lend me one I'll happily try it out lol

Yes and no. To use modern woke terminology, my 300BLK "journey" started when I went rabbit shooting with a forum member many years ago. He turned up with an AR15 in 300BLK. I thought, yeah whatever, but he explained that he used subs on rabbits and supers on goats to good effect. I wasn't the slightest interested in the AR platform, but the cartridge intrigued me, seeming to be versatile. Roll on a few years, Hornady released the Sub-X round supposedly designed to expand at subsonic speeds which was of interest because I don't reload. Around the same time, I had a landmark birthday, so bought my novelty gun, a Bergara BA13 in 300BLK with a 16.5 inch barrel. Loved the format of the rifle, but found the Sub-X rounds extremely lacking at killing animals when taking classic chest shots, even at short range. Switched to supersonics (Hornady FTX) and it's been great. Despite things not turning out as intended, I have a very short, capable, relatively quiet bush rifle with low recoil. For reference, energy levels are around the same as .223, but obviously the ballistics are very different. Muzzle energy is 1303 ft.lb. It does fall off very quickly, but that's not an issue for close range bush hunting. I've yet to have a goat not fall down with the FTX rounds. Others use suppressed, subsonic rounds to good effect when taking CNS shots under more controlled circumstances. I wouldn't write it off.
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.