Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 300 blackout

I love my blackout. I had a laser like Howa 243, but it was too heavy (hogue stock) and doing a lot of meat damage with a small permanent wound channel (I think I've got that terminology right?). Most of my shots were in the 150m-250m range. I got the 300 Blackout and quickly noticed less meat damage but a bigger more lethal permanent wound channel (so more usable meat). I like the short action size, the short barrel (16"), and the ability to switch between supers and subs easily (dial to 6 on my scope gives me a 50m sub zero). I've shot alongside a suppressed 223 and the blackout was quieter.

Once you understand the blackouts limitations it's a very useful package.
    tikka, MB and Bushwalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    I love my blackout. I had a laser like Howa 243, but it was too heavy (hogue stock) and doing a lot of meat damage with a small permanent wound channel (I think I've got that terminology right?). Most of my shots were in the 150m-250m range. I got the 300 Blackout and quickly noticed less meat damage but a bigger more lethal permanent wound channel (so more usable meat). I like the short action size, the short barrel (16"), and the ability to switch between supers and subs easily (dial to 6 on my scope gives me a 50m sub zero). I've shot alongside a suppressed 223 and the blackout was quieter.

Once you understand the blackouts limitations it's a very useful package.
    Yes the blackout supersonics is definitely quieter than a 223, a few grains less in powder capacity and burn rate.

Hey @shooternz - how does it go with cast bullets, can you tell us more about your "recipe"??? Thanks

edit never mind I haven't woken up yet

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    The hard part is finding Trail Boss,
    I have just had a .300 BLK built mainly as a cast bullet test rifle and a small game rifle I don't own an accurate .22RF
    and I don't want to waste Trail Boss, 3.5 to 6.0 grains of any fast Shotgun or pistol powder will do for sub loads
    the expense is in the primer.
    Yes indeed, been using some old ICI Nobel Shotgun No78 powder for exactly that. 12-13 gns max in my old 303 gives 1600-1800 fps with Walker 215gn (approx) gas checked boolits. Accuracy is not outstanding from the old girl but will hit and drop minute-of-goat out to 80m no problem.
    10-12 gns gives around 1400fps in my Marlin 30-30 with Walker 151gn GC HPs with better accuracy. They hit pretty hard too. Neither is suppressed- don't have much interest personally in subs other than for rabbits with 22lr. More interested in emulating 19th- early twentieth century woods style hunting for table meat out to 120m with least wastage. Think 32-40, 44-40 for e g. Whitetail size ( Fallow, Goats, here) and 30-30 for the bit bigger ( Sika, Reds, Pigs)
    Micky Duck likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hey @shooternz - how does it go with cast bullets, can you tell us more about your "recipe"??? Thanks
    i am just getting to do load development with it have been too busy and the weather has been crap,
    So far it looks good,
    The rifle is not the regular off the shelf type, Action is a Anschutz 54 .222 barrel is a Shilen 8 groove 1:13" taken off my Full-bore rifle it actually shot
    cast bullets very well
    It is chambered with a Dave Manson reamer
    I didn't plan on shooting heavy bullets up to 150 grain jacketed and 180 grain cast will do
    for subs I have my 151 HP, and I have just bought a new mould for it
    And a new Chronograph the old one died
    Got a bunch of powders to try, don't have to rely on Trail Boss for sub loads any pistol or shotgun power will work,
    Will keep you posted
    Bill999, Joe_90 and m101a1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    30tc/ 308/ 30-06 /300wm too
    theres nothing special about a 300blk to make it push a 30cal pill 1000fps

if you are able to handload any of your 30cal rifle will do exactly the same as a 300blk
    and with trail boss it is so simple
    Provided you have the twist rate to run the heavier projies, which most 308s etc don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Provided you have the twist rate to run the heavier projies, which most 308s etc don't.
    i used the standard tikka 1-11 in 308 and my brno had a 1-10 and stabilisation is not an issue with hollow point cast bullets till the went over 180gr

with the 151s exiting everything i dont see the need of putting more energy into the bank behind them

Id be very surprised if the 151s didnt stabilise in what ever you currently have
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    i used the standard tikka 1-11 in 308 and my brno had a 1-10 and stabilisation is not an issue with hollow point cast bullets till the went over 180gr

with the 151s exiting everything i dont see the need of putting more energy into the bank behind them

Id be very surprised if the 151s didnt stabilise in what ever you currently have

You are correct the reason I bought the 151 HP mould was because it will stabilise in standard .308 twists also it was designed sperficly for the .308 Win
    if crimped at the crimp groove the Gas Check is inside the neck,
    I already had a 200 grain FP that people have trouble stabilising in 1:12" twist barrels at subsonic velocity
    I still get asked for heavier .30 cal bullets; But there is no point the 151 HP exits on heart lung shots the only recovered
    bullets are from longitude shots and 100 metre shots,
    A few have shot two goats with one shot at close range,

The slower twist works better for lead bullets they can't handle high RPM, My .30 cal Cast Bullet rifles have 1:13" twist barrels
    and shoot accurately at 1800 -1900fps with bullets soft enough to expand
    Hard cast do not expand cast bullets have been shot to 3000fps but are like FMJ's totally useless for hunting
    Bill999 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    Yes the blackout supersonics is definitely quieter than a 223, a few grains less in powder capacity and burn rate.
    One of the rounds that works well for new shooters to centerfire rifles is a 150g FMJ 300 BO. Very pleasant to shoot.

223 while pretty much the same decibel level I'm guessing, I have found obnoxious on the ears.