Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: .308 ammunition advice

.308 ammunition advice

Morning all, am after some advice on .308 ammo. I dont reload and with the cost of box ammo i would like a few opinions before i spend money on a couple of boxes to try. Winchester. 308, 16" dpt suppressor.
    Have so far tried precision hunter and superformance, nither of which grouped particularly well. Have since gone to sako gamehead which groups ok but has all the aerodynamics of a brick. Have a vx3hd and am comfortable dialing. Hope to make this a 3-400m max gun. Dont need to stretch out further as i have a dedicated long range setup for that. Any and all advice appreciated

Have also tried american whitetail which it absolutely hated

Iv used some Hornaday whitetail 165gr sp out of my 18"tika.Deadly accurate,better than the superformance ssts.$70pkt its worth a try.

Greetings,
    So far you have tried three types of ammo and none shot better than OK. Perhaps the next step is to get the rifle checked over to see if there is a problem. The .308 will shoot any half decent ammo well. Some info on the groups you have achieved and the projectile weights would help. One of my .308 rifles has a long throat and shoots flat base projectiles much better than boat tails and does best with heavier projectiles. More information would help with suggestions.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    So far you have tried three types of ammo and none shot better than OK. Perhaps the next step is to get the rifle checked over to see if there is a problem. The .308 will shoot any half decent ammo well. Some info on the groups you have achieved and the projectile weights would help. One of my .308 rifles has a long throat and shoots flat base projectiles much better than boat tails and does best with heavier projectiles. More information would help with suggestions.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Fair enough, rifle has been pillar bedded and free floated, shortened / Crowned and checked over by a very trusted gunsmith. The sako gamehead 150g groups around 1moa, Lab radar averaging 2598fps. the other 3 Hornady ammo was anything up to 6" groups. (150g american white tail, 150g SSt, 178g ELDX) happy with having 1moa accuracy on this particular rifle but would like some slightly higher BC projectiles. Hope that helps.
    11mms likes this.

Banned
    Check your scope mounts and scope itself - issue may not be the ammo at all.

Quote Originally Posted by winchesterM69A View Post
    Check your scope mounts and scope itself - issue may not be the ammo at all.
    hi, yep have done, brand new rail, vx3hd and luepold mounts all fitted and leveled by same gunsmith. Shot the same with old scope and mounts that were on it but changed to the vx3 for dialing capability. cheers

Have you tried without suppressor or with different muzzle device
    Micky Duck and Williamfga like this.

Quote Originally Posted by feratox View Post
    Have you tried without suppressor or with different muzzle device
    nope, but bloody good idea, will do.

Federal blue box always went well for me before I got the reloading bug,150g ,killed well and around Moa in all the 308s I have had over the years,model 7 ,midland,charter arms and now sako A7.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamfga View Post
    Fair enough, rifle has been pillar bedded and free floated, shortened / Crowned and checked over by a very trusted gunsmith. The sako gamehead 150g groups around 1moa, Lab radar averaging 2598fps. the other 3 Hornady ammo was anything up to 6" groups. (150g american white tail, 150g SSt, 178g ELDX) happy with having 1moa accuracy on this particular rifle but would like some slightly higher BC projectiles. Hope that helps.
    Greetings again,
    The Sako ammo shooting around MOA suggests that the rifle is capable of decent accuracy and does better with the blunter projectiles which have more bearing surface. I did a load series in my .308 recently using 125,150 and 165 grain projectiles and various powders. The best accuracy was with the 165 or heaviest projectile so this may be worth trying. The problem with factory ammo is that you get what you are given. Some of it is good or even very good but batches may differ. You are running at least two rifles so you may want to consider handloading, especially in the longer term. If you could buddy up with a current handloader this could help with set up cost.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    RugerM77 and Williamfga like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Federal blue box always went well for me before I got the reloading bug,150g ,killed well and around Moa in all the 308s I have had over the years,model 7 ,midland,charter arms and now sako A7.
    The last three .308's I've worked with recently all shot Sako gameheads at or under MOA. They also shot fed Blue Box and Rem Coreloct at near to MOA. IMO stick to the Gameheads in the short term, fine out to 400. Rifles are often referred too in the feminine gender which may well explain why they will do one thing well but not another for no apparent reason. I wouldn't rush spending lots of dollars on different brands, wait until the opportunity arises.

FWIW I load 308 for a young mate, 150 SSTs over AR2206H after advice from this forum to emulate Hdy, Factory Superformance with same 150gn SST. He has a 16 in, X-Bolt, Superlight, suppressed. Using his once fired Hdy brass he is shooting near touching groups of 3 at 100m, 3 all adjacent to each other on a 6in gong at 300m. Wish I could shoot as good. On my old chrono they average around 2730fps.
    Williamfga likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Sometimes those older Winchester just don't shoot.
    Not all rifles will shoot under or near MOA

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    Sometimes those older Winchester just don't shoot.
    Not all rifles will shoot under or near MOA

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Yeah just trying to get the best out of it, with any luck ill find something it likes