Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: .308 ammunition advice

It might just need a real good scrub in the bore too.
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

As good a place as any to start
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    It might just need a real good scrub in the bore too.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Some rifles just don't shoot well.
    My mate had ruger m77 mk1 243 that a gunsmith rebarrelled into a 308 and bedded the action. He spent years trying to sort a load for it but it was never any good.
    I fought with it for awhile to help him out. Fixed and sorted out heaps of if issues with it (bedding, reloads, mounts, scope and suppressor(on or off) and the typical ruger binding mag box etc) and got it shooting a tight 3 shot group at 100m everytime. As soon as you fired a 4th or more shots it would group like shit until dead cold again. I'm guessing it had something to do with the action/barrel not being true/quite right.
    Thankfully he sold that rifle and bought a new rifle that shot mint from the box (tikka ).
    Some headaches just aren't worth hanging onto.
    Williamfga likes this.

Greetings,
    I looked at the Sako data for the Game head and the low BC suggests that the projectiles are flat base, likely why they shoot OK. It looks as though your rifle is a lot like my old Remington. The rifle has quite a long throat compared with current rifles and has staunchly refused to shoot anything with a boat tail that I have tried. Flat base projectiles are fine and this is probably your best bet. Finding factory ammo other than the Sako loaded with flat base could be a problem. Although the BC of the Game head looks a bit ho hum by todays standards it is still adequate out to 300 metres or so. Sako does do a 165 grain Game head loaded with Sierra 165 grain SPBT projectiles which might be an option but these are likely to shoot to a different POI.
    I would be interested to know what the long range rifle is.
    Regards Grandpamac
    RugerM77 likes this.

What I was really trying to say is that if it keeps shooting the sako game head good then all is well

But if it keeps being fussy on ammo after all the gunsmith work you had done to it then maybe it's just a "headache" rifle.
    RugerM77 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roarless20 View Post
    What I was really trying to say is that if it keeps shooting the sako game head good then all is well

But if it keeps being fussy on ammo after all the gunsmith work you had done to it then maybe it's just a "headache" rifle.
    You might be right, just stick to the sako

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    I looked at the Sako data for the Game head and the low BC suggests that the projectiles are flat base, likely why they shoot OK. It looks as though your rifle is a lot like my old Remington. The rifle has quite a long throat compared with current rifles and has staunchly refused to shoot anything with a boat tail that I have tried. Flat base projectiles are fine and this is probably your best bet. Finding factory ammo other than the Sako loaded with flat base could be a problem. Although the BC of the Game head looks a bit ho hum by todays standards it is still adequate out to 300 metres or so. Sako does do a 165 grain Game head loaded with Sierra 165 grain SPBT projectiles which might be an option but these are likely to shoot to a different POI.
    I would be interested to know what the long range rifle is.
    Regards Grandpamac
    Thanks for the advice, will try the 165s. other rifle is under the "projects and home builds" thread Carbon Tikka 6.5 PRC. shoots bloody well.
    grandpamac likes this.

is this the model 70????
    now if you had said for close work I would say winchester180grn power points all day long...but not much chop out long..well they possibly are with right drop.... they are awesome up close.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Will be using up a box of Fed blue at the range hopefully this week then I will have enough to reload some projectiles I have, the Feds shoot ok but think I can get something better in my short .308
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    is this the model 70????
    now if you had said for close work I would say winchester180grn power points all day long...but not much chop out long..well they possibly are with right drop.... they are awesome up close.
    Yeah, its currently away getting cerakoted and i want to have a good go at finding a good round for it once i get it back