Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: .577 snider enfield

Nice to see the old girls are still to there. I fondly remember some friendly banter at a black powder shoot between myself and Robbie Tiffen at the bandleaders one sunday morning black powder competition they had on, he had some fangled reproduction of some really unusual almost like a ferguson breach musket, i had my old NZ Marked Artillery Carbine, we paid each other out no end, i finally went in a comp shoot against him and won, I immediately retired that rifle as the undisputed champ, i was even paper patching the projectiles to get some purchase on the rifling, GREAT rifles to shoot, i must get some new brass for the old girl and get her back out to the range.

owww whilst reminiscing and just to prove that some people should never be allowed near them, i had one bloke come up to me, his eyes were big, "wow, look at that calibre, and look how well it shoots, you should really get a scope on that thing!" !!!!

Cole
    Quote Originally Posted by Tertle View Post

owww whilst reminiscing and just to prove that some people should never be allowed near them, i had one bloke come up to me, his eyes were big, "wow, look at that calibre, and look how well it shoots, you should really get a scope on that thing!" !!!!
    Shoulda slapped some sense into him!
    A330driver likes this.

Bus driver
    @Tertle... great story mate
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by dvk-kp View Post
    Shoulda slapped some sense into him!
    Nope..................There are some types not worth the effort. Like the 4 wheel drive shopping basket driver who pulled into the petrol station behind me when I was refueling my 1938 DX Vauxhall and wandered around oohing and aahing and then, when he saw me adding the upper cylinder lubricant from a my squirty container, said knowingly, "OH, two stroke."

They are great fun to shoot
    Lol @ indigenous
    Some were shot the other way too
    My short one has armed constabulary traced markings
    The MH are also good to shoot and surprisingly low recoil.

I shoot .600 round balls through mine,they are the most accurate out to 100 yards.

"Accuracy" being relevant as these were are huge step up in rate of fire from a Rifled Musket,Sniders seldom print the same impact point on different days it seems.I have four different Bullet molds for mine,the original Mini-Ball I have found to be the least accurate,the other molds replicate the BC of a round ball anyhow.I dip my loaded rounds in cheap Mayonnaise prior to firing,keeps the fouling soft.
    Moa Hunter, rewa and Boxton like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Tertle likes this.

Always found BP cartridge and muzzle loaders more pleasant to shoot than modern guns, sniders included. Definitely with their quirks, but very different recoil impulse and somehow a lot more relaxing to shoot.

Only thing is cleaning pitted bores.... if the bore has any pitting at all I spend hours trying to clean the fouling out and it still runs black at the end... that bit I don't like
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Apparently yes it did shoot a lot of the big five. If it’s all you had to hand then you use what you have.....not a great place to learn from your mistakes they aren’t called the big five just because their big
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I was at the Hamilhole zoo last weekend and was thinking on how one of my doubles would handle the Giraffe, tiger, or rhino. It would have to have been in my younger days, when I could run like a gazelle? They are big animal!!
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Loaded some ammo for one the other day, 70 grains FFG, guy had bought a commercial I.Hollis from the TGA Gun Show, Really nice rifle, early model with the suicide block!! Havent heard from him since he picked up the ammo?
    Iv got an artillery carbine, mk 1 (suicide breech)
    First shot went as expected.... sideways through the paper at 25m.

As expected until I tried to extract the case! the chamber had been 'necked up' to approximately 20ga.

Lucky I still have a face.
    Anyway, got the case out and now might be looking at making up some 20ga brass with .577 id
    Maca49 and Boxton like this.
    Use enough gun

From memory one of the family has one

There were some double rifles chambered in .577 as well saw one in a gunshop in Brisbane year ago,
    For stopping a Rilfe these are hard to beat,
    https://youtu.be/MDYtxxRU_cY
    https://youtu.be/SJvesjGissE

I run my Snyder Carbine on 60gr homemade black powder and a .600 round ball in a 28g shotgun case shortened to 2 inch. Cases just fire form and knock them out with the cleaning rod as the rims don`t consistently catch the extractor. Shoots well with almost pristine barrel apart from one pit. Just fun to shoot.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    There were some double rifles chambered in .577 as well saw one in a gunshop in Brisbane year ago,
    For stopping a Rilfe these are hard to beat,
    https://youtu.be/MDYtxxRU_cY
    https://youtu.be/SJvesjGissE
    Quick sell the children, the cat, and all the dependent relatives you have.
    rewa likes this.