Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Accuracy is Relative

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Your quite right in that accuracy is relative to the shooter/owner of their guns!

I like my guns to be as accurate as possible and they shoot well so I know if I something doesn't go according to plan then it's only me to blame.

I have a mate who bush hunts and as long as he can hit a KFC box at 50 mtrs then he's all good to go and he's shot ALOT of critters!
    A friend of mine dropped lots of pigs, wallabies, goats and probably deer as well using a Mini14 in 223. He said it was capable of minute-of-milkjug at 100m.

As long as you can make a good fatal shot on an animal at ranges you are comfortable with that's all you need, whether that range is up to 200 yds or further that's up to the individual. Now that I've been forced to revert back to a bolt action my current rifle , .223 , is good enough to consistantly hit std clay targets out to 400 yds. More accurate than I need. Have shot goats out to 328yds , most shots under 50 yds mainly bush shooting. And it has to group well enough for 6 shots, rifle capacity, when dealing with a mob of goats. As a side note my old semi was a better shooter than this Howa.
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

hi i am playing with the 9mm devistator 125gn hollow point mold in my rossi straight lino type alox lube in 38spl 5 gns ap50 and also tried 5 gnains of unique best group with tang aperture sight was 3inchs at 50meters my overall best group was inch and a half at 50 meter 195gn round nose with 3.5 grn unique great to see some one else playing with the 38/357 havnt tried 357 cases yet cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    A friend of mine dropped lots of pigs, wallabies, goats and probably deer as well using a Mini14 in 223. He said it was capable of minute-of-milkjug at 100m.
    Minute of pie plate is my average hunting accuracy.
    Max Headroom likes this.

I can see that point that one three shot group doesn't necessarily prove anything, but if that first careful shot misses.... chances are that emptying the rest of the magazine at a running target might not be wonderfully successful. Nevertheless, it is good to have a rifle that will group well with a number of cartridges being shot in a short period.

Do you eat wallabies Micky? Any good?

Blue Cod... interesting. Where did you get the 195 grain projectiles?

wallaby tail makes an awesome VERY rich casserole/stew...find an oxtail recipe and go from there...cut it close to base so you get plenty meat.... steaks are ok roast ok but I found it very bland...like lamb or young goat but with darker meat.
    Coote likes this.

hi i make my own cast bullets 195gn round nose bullets if you want some i can make you some to try out in your gun 5 gns unigue works a treat

That's a generous, friendly offer thanks Bluecod. I might just take advantage of that when I've experimented a bit more. What mould is it and where did you get it? Do you use .357 brass or .38 Special?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    how often would you expect to FIRE five shots at animals at once??? yes I will at wallabies but VERY VERY seldom would at deer....cant think when last I fired 3 off top of head....must be a while back thats for sure.
    Match the number of shots used to determine accuracy to the likely number that will be required for the game that rifle is for ?

Most rifle/ammo combinations shoot better than most of us will shoot unsupported.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    how often would you expect to FIRE five shots at animals at once??? yes I will at wallabies but VERY VERY seldom would at deer....cant think when last I fired 3 off top of head....must be a while back thats for sure.
    one of my early reloading manuals....pretty sure its the 1st edition Nosler suggests that for hunting rifles you fire first shot well aimed then next two as fast as you reasonably can....which if you think about it gives you a hunting senario type group which if its a hunting rifle is all that really matters.
    there you go Puffin.....put quote IN CONTEXT and it makes sense....accuracy is relative is the title of the thread...hunting accuracy is relative to hunting...a 3 shot group is arguably more relative to hunting senario than a five shot group.

i use 38spl 358430 lyman mold #2 alloy size 358

Thanks Bluecod.

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    While what I've found out about accuracy on the internet has made me feel a bit inadequate at times, I'm pleased that there are dedicated shooters out there who are striving for perfection. ]
    A feeling shared by most at some stage or other. I always brush it off with "only the field really matters"

You are right Norway. Another topic that gets a lot of attention on the internet is knives and sharpening. A bewildering range of blade alloys are discussed and judged, and the 'proper' ways to sharpen are presented. But I wonder how many of the internet knife expert panel members actually have a way of life where they have to use a knife regularly. There are some nice fancy knives out there, but a bit of bandsaw blade with a kanuka handle jammed in a polypipe sheath doesn't cost much and it generally does all that is required after being rubbed on a cheap, coarse whetstone.
    Norway likes this.