Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By johnd
  • 3 Post By Cyclops
  • 1 Post By johnd
  • 1 Post By Noswal
  • 1 Post By Cyclops
  • 1 Post By Beetroot

Thread: Accuracy targets when developing loads for F-class

Accuracy targets when developing loads for F-class

Just wondering what sort of acceptable accuracy people are looking to obtain when loading for F-class to 1000yds
    I know we all want to stack them up but there’s what we want and what we can repeatedly achieve.
    Is 5in @ 1000yds in good conditions done or would the more serious guys be pushing for better?
    Interesting to see what shooters are happy with.

5 inch group at 1000 would be a score of 60.10 (a possible) so I would think you would have to have that and less as your benchmark in good conditions.
    If your home range is Trentham not so much

I have managed 0.29 MOA at 600 yd for the first 7 shots opening out to .5 (vertical only....it was a bit blowy) but I wouldn't expect that @ 1000 from my present setup.
    Last edited by johnd; 30-10-2022 at 10:33 AM.
    Moa Hunter, janleroux and Noswal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Noswal View Post
    Just wondering what sort of acceptable accuracy people are looking to obtain when loading for F-class to 1000yds
    I know we all want to stack them up but there’s what we want and what we can repeatedly achieve.
    Is 5in @ 1000yds in good conditions done or would the more serious guys be pushing for better?
    Interesting to see what shooters are happy with.
    The X ring is about 0.5 MOA so would be 5 inches at 1000 yards (near enough).
    As @johnd said that accuracy would get you a 60.10 (perfect score) at 1000 yards.

Probably good enough for FTR, possibly not for F-Open.

Everybody wants better, but there are diminishing returns.

That said it would also depend on your set up - is your scope 1/4 MOA clicks or 1/8?
    Can you easily aim off with your bag and bipod (FTR) or F-Open rest.

What projectile will you be using?
    155 gr for FTR-Classic or heavier for FTR? The difference can be significant at longer ranges.
    My observation is that the heavier projectiles come into their own at longer ranges with higher winds - upto 50% less wind adjustment between a 155gr and 185 gr projectile (of the same brand and design) at 900 yards in strong winds.
    johnd, GWH and Noswal like this.

I'm shooting F-PR with a knock-off bipod and a squeeze bag so there are definitely some disadvantages there, but it works for me with my budget.
    I'm currently and the tail end of my development with 153.5gr Bergers in 6.5x284. Really just wondering how far I go looking for that bit better performance.
    If I could pick the perfect conditions, I'd confidently put money on shooting that 1/2-minute group but that's never the case on the butts is it. My strings today were both less than 1/2-minute vertical, but the wind kicked my arse.
    I'm pretty sure I'm gunna keep tinkering looking for that holy grail load lol. Is 0.3moa a reasonable target to achieve or is that elite level stuff.

PRS with it's associated class limits is always going to lower your stability ( shot to shot repeatability over sustained strings). Even with a high BC cartridge/projectile combo....maybe .3 is your limit....the only way to know is to test against an FTR or F Open rig or strap your current rig into an FTR bipod and rear bag or a F Open pedestal
    Noswal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    PRS with it's associated class limits is always going to lower your stability ( shot to shot repeatability over sustained strings). Even with a high BC cartridge/projectile combo....maybe .3 is your limit....the only way to know is to test against an FTR or F Open rig or strap your current rig into an FTR bipod and rear bag or a F Open pedestal
    Good point. I don't think it'd be too hard to use another range members gear at the end of a shoot and see if I get an improvement. Getting used to adjustment might be an issue with unfamiliar gear but to setup and shoot a group would be a great exercise.
    johnd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Noswal View Post
    Good point. I don't think it'd be too hard to use another range members gear at the end of a shoot and see if I get an improvement. Getting used to adjustment might be an issue with unfamiliar gear but to setup and shoot a group would be a great exercise.
    Check out the Ashburton & Districts Rifle Club that shoots (most) Sunday afternoons in Ashburton.
    There's generally a mix of TR FTR F-Open & FPR shooters present.
    Noswal likes this.

Competitive F-open guys would definitely want better than 1/2 MOA. For F-PR I would want an honest 1/2 MOA at a minimum, the smaller you can get the better obviously.

If you are finding that wind is messing up your scores it is unlikely a 1/4 MOA load will do much to help, I certainly wouldn't be wasting reloading components in the current climate if that is the case.
    You cold try squeezing some more velocity from your loads to get a little advantage but I don't think it'll make that much difference.

The only way to improve your performance in the wind is practise, you could look at doign some training with a 22lr to try hone your wind reading skills.
    This will help to some degree but the wind effects over a 1000yard range can be very hard to judge/anticipate, so more experience is really the only thing that could help.

Have read of these articles if you want to know where best to spend your time and energy.
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/...erall-summary/
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/...p-size-matter/
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/...bility-matter/
    Last edited by Beetroot; 01-11-2022 at 09:29 PM.
    Noswal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Check out the Ashburton & Districts Rifle Club that shoots (most) Sunday afternoons in Ashburton.
    There's generally a mix of TR FTR F-Open & FPR shooters present.
    I’m a member there. I hold my own ok.
    I’ve changed loads due to availability of pills and never really tested my previous load out past 700yds much.
    I’d also like to give the FO guys more of a challenge lol
    Last weekend my vertical was pretty solid 1/3moa, but my wind calls were poor. Took half way through my second string to get handle on it.
    I’ve added some graphite into the process to see if that helps with consistency. Will test those at the first calm opportunity.