Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By garyp

Thread: Guidelines for schools developing a firearms safety policy

Guidelines for schools developing a firearms safety policy

Released this morning.

You can find them here Guidelines for schools to develop or review a firearms policy | Education in New Zealand

I was a member of the sector group (by choice). In my opinion, there is nothing in the guidelines that restricts what some of us already do in our schools. However, there is perhaps greater emphasis on gaining parental approval for firearm related activities, specially live-fire activities.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Released this morning.

You can find them here Guidelines for schools to develop or review a firearms policy | Education in New Zealand

I was a member of the sector group (by choice). In my opinion, there is nothing in the guidelines that restricts what some of us already do in our schools. However, there is perhaps greater emphasis on gaining parental approval for firearm related activities, specially live-fire activities.
    Except that students, teachers, parents, caregivers, volunteers etc etc. are prohibited from handling any police or NZDF guns.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Except that students, teachers, parents, caregivers, volunteers etc etc. are prohibited from handling any police or NZDF guns.
    I suppose that just clarifies law? They can't legally handle sporting purpose MSSAs either.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I suppose that just clarifies law? They can't legally handle sporting purpose MSSAs either.
    Police and nzdf are exempt from arms act though so moot point

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Where does the law say people, including school children, can't handle police or army guns?

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Where does the law say people, including school children, can't handle police or army guns?
    You said do yourself in a earlier post...??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The armed forces would not use MSSA's, simply by definition. They are military firearms so not 'styled', therefore not covered.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    You said do yourself in a earlier post...??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    By the new policy, not by law. I could have been clearer.

I actually have no interest in the firearms that the police and NZDF are issued, they are not in my landscape.

However, to allay the apparent bias against NZDF that was the catalyst for the development of the guidelines, via the senior NZDF personnel on the sector group, I invited NZDF to visit my school to present career options to our Y7 and 8 students as per the National Administration Guidelines 1 (f).

Personally, I am thankful to NZDF. My eldest son met his future wife and mother of 4 of my moko during basic training!

Our High school in Napier has a pistol shooting team and for activities week at the end of the year all of our year 9 students do a 2 hour pistol shooting activity using the school's target air pistols. The students absolutely love it and all go away smiling. Some kids are a bit tentative at the start but as soon as they see others doing it they always all join in. They blow up a balloon, and put up a few cans and a paper target each. They have to pop their balloon and knock over a couple of cans before they are allowed to shoot at the target. Then they have a teams activity in which they have to shoot a hole in all the squares of a 3 by 3 grid. All in all the kids shoot about 50 sshots each in the 2 hours. We have no trouble recruiting shooters the following year. Many take their targets home at the end to show their parents.
    gadgetman and Pauli like this.