Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Any neat tricks?

Any neat tricks?

Ok so I muffed the chance at a wall hanger yesterday. Kinda a long story but the short version is:
    Big sika stag answered a single call then came charging over the brow and stopping in clear sight at 300m.
    I tried to dial the elevation on my CDS turret only to find I didn't have enough rotation (only wanting 7moa) so obviously had done at least one, maybe 2 full rotations from zero.
    I kinda panicked and cranked it back a couple (maybe three) full turns but then the dial would still go round but kinda grind. I put the dial on zero, lined up on the big boy's front shoulder and hoped.
    The suppressed shot didn't even worry him, he stood for a few seconds before nonchalantly trotting into the scrub. I saw him a minute later standing not 100m away without a care in the world.

Question is, do you have any handy way to ensure you don't lose your zeroby being a full rotation or more out?
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Scope is a VX3i 3.5-10 non zero-stop
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    - Venbee

Get a zero stop scope
    tikka, GWH, Gibo and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Get a zero stop scope
    Never thought it would be necessary on my bush gun... shot steel out to 500 and turkeys at 450+, but this time it cost me my best sika
    - Venbee

R93
    You lost me. You needed 7 Moa?
    What cal and what range is it zeroed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    northdude likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

- Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    You lost me. You needed 7 Moa?
    What cal and what range is it zeroed.

7-08 throwing a big pill very slowly. Zeroed at 100yds...
    162A-Max @2285
    Stocky likes this.
    - Venbee

Count turns up from zero and remember it.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum and bully like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    I am still a bit confused as for argument sake you have a 26" drop at 300 with 100 yrd zero?
    And you went a few full turns in the heat of the moment to get 7 moa?

He must have been a big fella to get you so flustered.
    Shit happens tho. I know your pain.
    I missed my only chance at a huge trophy red by hitting a small tree in line with his leg, dead center after watching him for a good 5 mins in pretty open Bush.
    Could have neck shot the bugger 100 times over and should have on reflection.
    My only suggestion is to get a suitable scope to allow a quick shot at those ranges without needing to dial.
    Or go a lighter bullet with a 200 yrd zero and hold top of the back.

10-Ring and Moa Hunter like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

GWH
    He must have been a bloody ripper stag, if I recall correctly you shot a pretty big jap a year or two ago?

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I am still a bit confused as for argument sake you have a 26" drop at 300 with 100 yrd zero?
    And you went a few full turns in the heat of the moment to get 7 moa?

He must have been a big fella to get you so flustered.
    Shit happens tho. I know your pain.
    I missed my only chance at a huge trophy red by hitting a small tree in line with his leg, dead center after watching him for a good 5 mins in pretty open Bush.
    Could have neck shot the bugger 100 times over and should have on reflection.
    My only suggestion is to get a suitable scope to allow a quick shot at those ranges without needing to dial.
    Or go a lighter bullet with a 200 yrd zero and hold top of the back.

I didn't wind on too much elevation in a panic, I had obviously either done at least one full rotation at some point previously and not known, or not retuned it to its actual zero after shooting long range last time.

Thinking I was on the actual zero tried to dial 7moa but ran out of elevation meaning I probably already had at least 12moa dialled when I thought I was on zero... this caused me to get flustered and try to find my mechanical zero stop without realizing I didn't have one, and ending up totally lost.

I have a rifle perfectly set up for that kind of shot but took my light gun because lots of where I was hunting was high tussock and I thought an off hand shot was quite likely and I know I can reliably shoot that gun to 400 +.
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    He must have been a bloody ripper stag, if I recall correctly you shot a pretty big jap a year or two ago?
    Yeah I've got a 171DS jap on the wall from 2yrs ago. Hard to tell exactly but this guy was definitely in the same class. Looked to have more length and better tops, but hard to be sure at 300yds
    GWH likes this.
    - Venbee

Why dont you just go back to basic's like we have hunted for the past 50+ years? Sight it in for 200, know your holdover [if necessary] for 300, and then just shoot the bloody thing. All this dialing is causing so much confusion and mayhem, hear it all the time, add in no zero stop and you're asking for trouble. Any decent calibre will shoot to 300 or possibly further with a 200 or 250 zero, even the 7.08! Practice on gongs if you intend to shoot far away, practice, practice, practice, using holdover. And if its too far for you to comfortably shoot using holdover, then get closer, or be patient and use your calling skills.

1 Buy something like b&c reticle and learn it for your load or tape the turret with self vulcanising tape you can remove when you need to dial.

I have suffered your pain so now my hunting rifle wears a plain 2-8 Leupy with no exposed turrets and B&C Reticle, no more dial moved, parallax not set right for snap shot, magnification up too high etc. Point and shoot now

All my big heavy vari-powers are on my target rifles not where they should be

Banned
    This is how people miss quite consistently once your dialing. If you are shooting a 162Amax at 2200ft/sec, you have gone a bit extreme on the whole process, to your detriment. The ability to beat wind is great and you will shoot gongs all day like that, but the trajectory is still a bit limp for practical hunting ranges. I say this as the aficionado of heavy and slow for chambering projectiles.

You run into exactly what you have run into, 300m is too close to be shagging around and you don't need to dial. Just know your reticle. Have a look at my Ode to the 22LRF thread, where I am using traditional sighting in (what @Husky1600 describes) with an ordinary reticle, but being as fussy as you would be setting up to dial to 1000m. I'm knocking over game at silly ranges now.

Dialing is for further out. There is too much pressure on at closer ranges to get it right and you need too much elevation correction for that rifle. You basically turned a 300m shot into a 600m shot.

I don't know your scope, but if the turret rises with elevation, you can put a horizontal mark under the turret cap at your zero.
    Dorkus likes this.