Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bad technique

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Who is dumb enough to expect good results, when trying precision shooting with a light but heavy recoil rifle, without a break or at least a suppressor?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately most people that by a modern synthetic rifle or light weight rifle.
    Look at for sale threads and the likes, the first question is usually how heavy is it.
    Everyone that owns a rifle wants precision don't they...

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Who is dumb enough to expect good results, when trying precision shooting with a light but heavy recoil rifle, without a break or at least a suppressor?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Who is dumb enough to carry an anvil of a rifle on top of mountain to take just one or two shots...?
    The brake or the suppressor makes the shooting more comfortable, but the " primary" recoil that act while the bullet is still in the barrel is the same with or with out the above accessories, and the " secondary" recoil that comes in while the gazes escape the muzzle have no influence on the bullet. It had already left the barrel. ( primary and secondary are part of the same progressive action, I just did not know how to express my idea with exact terms).
    Seeing the good number of people who spend money to lighten their rig as much as they can, one has to wonder if they shoot as well or worst than before the rig diet? And if their shooting is not has good, perhaps changing the shooting form or technic might get them back to a satisfying level of accuracy.
    Puffin, GWH and sambnz like this.

I would suggest going along to a small bore range, its pretty cheap and usually in town , so you dont have to travel far.
    You can shoot for groups and experiment with sling position or off of sand bags.
    You get to do all the basics, breathing control, trigger release, recoil control.

If you dont want to spend serious time shooting thrn you wont be able to build up serious experence. So you need to review the basics and apply them as best you can.

Practice technique wih .22RF is best value for time and money. Then dry fire with your big gun. Next is a thorough ckean out check and sight iin your big gun.

We cant explain all details of technique here on a short post and it is hard to find them in print too. I ll try and set some out in a couple of posts below.

First train in the 5 classical positions:
    Prone
    Sitting
    Kneeling
    Standing (all unsupported)
    Prone or bench with sandbag or bipod
    (For rifle testing, sighting in and trajectory)

Then work on cunning. Getting and using rests well. You should seldom be using unsupported positions while hunting. Get a copy of Jeff Cooper's book "the art of the rifle". Always first use his advice: "If you can get closer then get closer. If you can get steadier then get steadier". This is effective shooting technique.

PRINCIPLES COMMON TO ALL RIFLE SHOOTING

Support rifle with left arm. Shouldrr elbow wrist in triangle in same vertical plane. Wrist straight under foreend.

Butt in right shoulder between clavicle and deltoid. Moderate pressure counteracted by left hand gently pulling back (different for bench rest).

Right elbow between horizontal and 45deg down.

Right hand moderate firm grip like a townies handshake. Index finger tip at 90 deg to trigger, on middle of pad. Squeeze trigger finger directly back . Gradually but steadily increase pressure for a suprise break.

Breathe steadily, fire during natural pause when breathed out. Stop only for up to 10 sec.

If time check natural point aim by looking away then look vack and see where sights are pointing. Mostly adjust aim by moving body position not by pushing rifle around.

Verify it is the correct target and safe to shoot. Concentrate. Hold it still. Aim small. Follow through.

STANDING
    Benchmark: 15cm@25m
    Feet shoulder width apart. About 20 -30deg from direction to target.
    Left upper and lower arms each 45 deg from vertical.
    Variant for target shooting: left upper arm rests on chest (if suitable body shape) body leans back at hip. Lower arm vertical. Forend balanced on fist.

KNEELING
    Benchmark: 25cm@100m
    Left lower leg vrttical and toe turned slightly in. Left arm upper and loer both at 45 deg to vertical, same as standing.
    Left elbow triceps tendon flat area resting in knee between patella and medial head of quadriceps (see wikipedia for explanation anatomical terms but they are the most unambiguous way to describe positions).
    Right knee on ground with leg 60 to 90 deg from direction of target.
    Buttock weight is on right heel. Right foot can either take weight on toes (high position) or be flexed (in line with lower leg) with weight on front /top of ankle and foot on the ground (low).
    Right elbow in air horiontal to 45 deg below same as standing position.
    Varint for target shooting: sit on side if foot twisted flat. Considerable variation may be needed depending on the relative lengths of legs and back.

SITTING
    Benchmark: 30cm@200m
    Sit buttocks in ground.
    Left leg towards or left of target.
    Right leg about 45 to 90 deg from target.
    Left elbow triceps tendon on medial side if patella . Similar to kneeling.
    Right elbow resting on medial side of right knee.
    Variant: crossed legs.
    Variant for target shooting: left elbow hooked around knee and foreend rests under its own weight on side of arm.
    Some variation depending on arm and leg length and back flexibility.

PRONE
    Benchmark: 25cm@200m
    Spine 20 -30 deg from direction to target.
    Both elbows on ground.
    Left shoulder elbow wrist also 20 -30 deg and in vertical plane.
    Right elbow shoulder elbow wrist plane about 45deg from vertical, supporting body.
    Right knee bent slightly, so more weight goes on left side of pelvis to ground. Lower ribs taking a little weight unless belly is large.
    Both shoulders same height above ground.
    Adjust aim and position by moving hips and belly forward/back and left/right pivoting around left elbow.
    Variant: right leg straight.

REST AND BIPOD
    Benchmark: 3cm@100m
    Prone recommended because most similar to hunting. Minor differences in mean point of impact due to nit gripping with left hand are compensated by much tighter groups so this should be sed for sighting in.
    Sitting at bench is also ok and is comparable to sitting and kneeling positions used hunting.
    Right elbow on ground / bench as for prone. Use carpet square to avoid scraping elbow on concrete in recoil.
    Left elbow on ground as for prone.
    Left lower arm flat on ground and left hand at butt. Manipulate butt with hand to do fine aim.
    Pressure on butt is less than unsupported positions. Slight forward pressure from shoulder to
    Load bipod.
    Right hand grip can be lighter. Thumb should be vertical behind tang not wrapped around pistol grip in "axe" position.
    Variants: commercial bench rest, sandbag or bipod for foreend.
    Rear sandbag at butt. Sand filling is most inert.
    Spine straight in line with target. (Prone)
    Left hand gripping foreend as for prone position.
    Right hand very loose with thumb not contacting stock.

NATURAL RESTS FOR HUNTING
    Improvise.
    Try to base positon on a standard unsupported one.
    Hold foreend wih some fingers and use pads of other fingers and palm to grip or make contact with the rest. Avoid bone on back of hand or direct rifle stock or barrel contacting the rest.
    Preferred position is sitting and gripping a small tree with left hand. Next is prone over a daypack or a rock / log with clothing on top. Ideally grip the daypack with a few spare fingers. Standing and kneeling with rest have a tendency to waver from side to side so try to rest another part of your body as well as left hand.
    Dont shoot before youre ready. If youve got a rest and the animal is stationary the odds are on your side.

OK mate thats it. Core principles jotted into an obscure internet thread for future reference.

Wow! And yet I am still unsure from the sparse posting from the OP what the exact problem is and what advise is most suited. Even what type of shooting the OP mostly does, or types of firearms involved. Rather than tie him in knots I have offered no advise, except to say someone with a bit of expertise needs to get aside with him at the range and evaluate/identify/discuss his issues one on one.
    gadgetman, R93 and 25/08IMP like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Wow! And yet I am still unsure from the sparse posting from the OP what the exact problem is and what advise is most suited. Even what type of shooting the OP mostly does, or types of firearms involved. Rather than tie him in knots I have offered no advise, except to say someone with a bit of expertise needs to get aside with him at the range and evaluate/identify/discuss his issues one on one.
    Yes. At the range it is only shooting off a bench. Last time I checked he only has the 308 though he was also looking at a shottie.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

gadget -im inclined to agree -It may be he needs another shooter wirth him to gradually work up to achieving his stated aim.plenty of constructive support and feedback as things progress may well prove effective.all this advice whilst well meaning may well be overwhelming under present circumstance. at the endof the daythough persistence and practise lay the foundations.
    gadgetman and zimmer like this.

Reach into fridge.
    Pull out beer.
    Make sure beer is of correct temperature.
    Open beer.
    Take a long drink.
    Make sure you follow through.
    Reach for next beer
    mayfly and LOC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    gadget -im inclined to agree -It may be he needs another shooter wirth him to gradually work up to achieving his stated aim.plenty of constructive support and feedback as things progress may well prove effective.all this advice whilst well meaning may well be overwhelming under present circumstance. at the endof the daythough persistence and practise lay the foundations.
    Too right kotuku. Might have a word with my niece and arrange a trip.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Jeebus thats a lot more interest than I was expecting. Ill have to have a proper read through and reply over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    It is easy to make a video to tell the public exactly what you want it to hear.( like shooting a plastic duck at 800 m in bad conditions , if you throw enough lead toward it you will eventually get it).
    I think you will be very happy to see that a large segment of the new "Longrange 2" (for lack of better title) is about me tearing down my own reputation, exposing my weak sides, showing how transferable shooting skill is and lifting up other shooters.
    Since I am well aware of the "duck theories", it was also deemed prudent to demonstrate the more effective/accurate during an official match. Shooting in front of three judges and an audience encouraged to film (to create unabridged versions of the shooting) was a very effective way to negate further duck theories and maintain some credibility as a shooter.

This is my technical source, it is the book I used to recover my shooting after the accident. Although everything is not relevant for a hunter (like the "last 10 seconds"), Olympic level shooters are the manifestation of technical perfection. It's not magic or special skills, it is just work routines. Ways of the Rifle 2009 (£36.00)Edinkillie Sport Services

For the record: There was nothing faked about the longrange duck shot I did for Zeiss. It was a true first shot hit. They had to do a re-take on the closeup after the shot due camera limitations.

+1 on Ways Of The Rifle. It is and has been for some time the go to book on correct positions/techniques. I got my copy locally here Books - Accessories

It is expensive but well worth the money for both learners and experienced alike.

All written by European experts.