Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Which is the best wind meter for wind estimation

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Rushy, it gets a whole lot worse. Wind can be toward or away from you, left to right, or up and down ... think fluid movement in 3 dimensions.

Bullets don't actually get blown of course. Drag causes a spin stabilised projectile to turn into the wind.

Your logic works for gravity, but wind is a very different story.

exterior ballistics or Applied Ballistics by Bryan Litz
    If it turned into the wind and didn't get blown off course you would impacting right in a right to left wind.

Everything gets blown off course even 100000 ton ships

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If it turned into the wind and didn't get blown off course you would impacting right in a right to left wind.

Everything gets blown off course even 100000 ton ships

Even Men have been Known to be blown of course

ebf
    That deep Neckshot

VC, here's Wikipedia's version, maybe they explain it better than I tried to:

Wind has a range of effects, the first being the effect of making the bullet deviate to the side. From a scientific perspective, the "wind pushing on the side of the bullet" is not what causes wind drift. What causes wind drift is drag. Drag makes the bullet turn into the wind, keeping the centre of air pressure on its nose. This causes the nose to be cocked (from your perspective) into the wind, the base is cocked (from your perspective) "downwind." So, (again from your perspective), the drag is pushing the bullet downwind making bullets follow the wind
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Banned
    That deep Neckshot

VC, here's Wikipedia's version, maybe they explain it better than I tried to:

Wind has a range of effects, the first being the effect of making the bullet deviate to the side. From a scientific perspective, the "wind pushing on the side of the bullet" is not what causes wind drift. What causes wind drift is drag. Drag makes the bullet turn into the wind, keeping the centre of air pressure on its nose. This causes the nose to be cocked (from your perspective) into the wind, the base is cocked (from your perspective) "downwind." So, (again from your perspective), the drag is pushing the bullet downwind making bullets follow the wind
    I was referring to the golf course

that's pretty techo, EBF. I just look at the smoke coming out of the house next door chimney. gives wind direction and speed kinda......works most of the time

ebf
    Yup, the old lick your finger and stick it in the breeze also works, just not that good for 1000 yard compos
    steven likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Gillie I will bow to you considerably greater knowledge on this matter. My understanding to now has been that wind has the greatest affect on a projectile's flight at the target end where the projectile is travelling slowest and dropping quickest. What I was alluding to above was that a hand held device cannot measure wind at target (unless you happen to be at the target) and that wind variables (speed, direction) could be completely different from those at the shooting position down at the target position. Bill999, however Gillie responds to this (or not) be guided by his advice over my comments.
    Although per inch moved yes the wind will deflect the bullet more at the end there are so few inches left to move it doesnt matter as much as the wind when it leaves the rifle. A small deflection when the bullet has 1000m to go makes a bigger difference...
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Yup, the old lick your finger and stick it in the breeze also works, just not that good for 1000 yard compos
    Did I show you my $18 anemometer one from dx.com? Im very impressed with it....

I bought an $18 one from dx,com, its good enough IMHO to get me onto the target....ie tells me the wind is varying 8~12kmh (say) so pick a mean of 10, I know the range so I have a band of MOA to choose from I look downrange and try to judge if it looks stronger or weaker or a different angle and pick a sighting shot MOA from that and off I go....For $18 its helped a lot IMHO...I really wonder that a $100 unit would have helped any more...

The other thing I do is a wander about looking around me and take a reading to try and get my eyes to better judge wind....not getting to far at the moment though.

Jkey should be nervious, I often check out the flag on top of the beehive.....I mean tell an assasin what the wind is doing outside his window why dont you....doh.

;]

If the wind blows the bullet will go off course if the wind dosn't blow it wont so you can argue that the bullet is indeed being blown off course or to put it another way yes the wind will cause the projectile to point into the wind(become weather cocked) which will increase drag but does drag create sideways movement ? If the body of air wasn't moving neither would the bullet.
    veitnamcam, Savage1 and kiwijames like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Great thread guys.

I'm a Surveyor, I understand the effect of air pressure etc on the travel of particles. We correct for this every day with lasers and distance measurements etc. Lasers are just like a whole lot of little bullets going really fast. The example Gilli has made, along with the survey example, once explained to the wife is the faster and easiest way to move the point of impact of the request to purchase a wind meter from "no way, you spend to much on this shit already" to "whatever, I'm going to sleep!".

This is prefect!
    StrikerNZ likes this.

The push argument is purely word twisting.
    As in there is no such thing as suction instead there is only the absence of pressure.
    Same same wind does not push a bullet off course it sucks (no such thing as suction) it due to the low pressure on its windward side where ever that may be.

End result wind blows left bullet impacts left.

And if your really bloody pedantic up a bit as well for most rifles

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I think the reason for describing the lateral force from the wind as a force along the altered axis of the bullet is 1) emphasises that the bullets axis does quickly change to align into the wind (also perturbing its' flight with "aerodymanic jump") and 2) to make it clear the airflow will be parallel to the bullets axis so the force on the bullet is from its nose, not the side. This means that the wind deflection depends on the ballistic coefficient, not its profile area, length etc. Litz explains this in his Applied Ballistics but its really best not to try to read it at bedtime in my experience.
    ebf and Matt2308 like this.

Or to put it simply wind blows ..shit moves.
    Savage1 likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Or to put it simply wind blows ..shit moves.
    Now that I understand Sneeze. Ha ha ha ha
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms