Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Which is the best wind meter for wind estimation

ebf
    Come on Gillie, wade in, it's FRIDAY
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Damn you all.... :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    There seems assumption that if the wind has blown the bullet off 1 inch at 100yd it will be 10 inch off at 1000yd without any more interaction from wind after the 100yd. To me this doesn't seem right because that would mean that the bullet would have had its direction of travel changed, I think that it would more likely be blown onto an almost parallel course one inch off its original path, not perfectly parallel but certainly close.
    Short answer: The wind changes the direction the projectile is travelling in. It is an angular defection not one parallel to the original projectile path.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Wouldn't the projectile slow down more so over time it will blow further? So it wouldn't be moving at 1 inch every 100m it would be more the further it got out
    Can’t remember if the projectile slows faster or slower over time. I suspect the projectile slows down slower over time. Yes, the slower the projectile the more the wind will affect its path.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    fukit, here goes anyway
    Damn you… I should never have responded.

if you type in 10mph wind from 90 degrees in a ballistics calc like JBM, that means 10mph average, right ?

so 10mph blowing across the entire range the projectile is traveling ?
    Yes.

so if 10mph right wind gives 1 inch left deflection @ 100m (not actual, just for argument sake), some folks are saying that the deflection @ 1000m will be 10 times the 100m deflection i.e. 10 inches...
    This is wrong unless the 10mph wind is only acting between 0m and 100m.

but if wind causes a deflection because of sideways pressure on the projectile (like the large ship example mentioned), would the effect not be compounded as opposed to linear ? test it for yourself, to me it looks more linear than compound, so maybe something else is going on ?
    While wind is still acting it is compounded. Just about nothing in life is linear.

i think the danger is looking at a projectile as if it is a large polystyrene ball, and thinking that the force vectors involved with wind have a similar effect as those of forward velocity and rotational stabilization. now think of a modern hpbt design projectile, with very high forward velocity, high degree of stability due to rotation, and how those forces are working against any deflection due to wind...
    You lost me with this but I will offer one little bit of insight – ballistic coefficient.

something else to ponder... if you take a "yacht" shape, and put a dowel or mast thru it from top to bottom, exactly in the center. now imagine it pivots on that dowel. put the shape in a stream of flowing water. will the pointy bit (bow) turn upstream or downstream ?
    Don’t change the subject

a) 10mph right wind between 0 and 500. deflections at 100 and 500 ?
    So sticking to the 1” deflection at 100 for a 10mph wind – the deflection is 1” at 100. The deflection at 500 will be more than 15”.

b) 10mph right wind between 0 and 100, no wind between 100 and 500. deflections at 100 and 500 ?
    So sticking to the 1” deflection at 100 for a 10mph wind – the deflection is 1” at 100. The deflection at 500 will be 5”.

c) 10 mph right wind between 0 and 100, no wind between 100 and 400, 10 mph left wind between 400 and 500. deflections at 100 and 500 ?
    So sticking to the 1” deflection at 100 for a 10mph wind – the deflection is 1” at 100. The deflection at 500 will be a little less than 4”.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    whether the force is short (impact of another ball) or of longer duration (wind on a projectile) the result is the same..
    Ouch – no comment

I repeat: damn you all for dragging me into this
    ebf and Toby like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Got it. The angle of the dangle changes proportianate to the slope on the rope and the pitch in the ditch.
    Toby likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

ebf
    LMAO Gillie, it's a drag a tell ya

My yacht example example if very close to your BC insight...

We having prize giving at the rifle club tomorrow, will pose some of these theories to two current 300m NZ team members, and report back if the evening does not get too raucous
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

This article covers it well A Scientific Basis For Evaluating Variable Crosswinds The idea is what is the difference in a 10 mph wind from 0 -500 yds at 1000 yds vs a 10mph from 500 - 1000yds at 1000 yds. Basic answer is the 0-500 10 mph causes twice as much drift as the 500 -1000 yd wind.
    Matt2308 likes this.

ebf, i think your yacht example has something to do forcing a natural stability onto a shape/mass by forcing it to pivot round a point not it's natural center of mass. I am certainly not a ballistics expert though. Read Bryan Litz's books... well i think they should help i haven't actually read them myself

Banned
    more time hunting less time reading google wikipidia an fuckn books.you guys sound like geeks..............sound impressive but still geeks.........seriously though go for hunt and shoot a deer at 100yds and forget about the fuckn wind.
    Brennos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    more time hunting less time reading google wikipidia an fuckn books.you guys sound like geeks..............sound impressive but still geeks.........seriously though go for hunt and shoot a deer at 100yds and forget about the fuckn wind.
    It is hard to forget about wind when I have been farting so much this morning I drove myself out of bed
    Neckshot likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    It is hard to forget about wind when I have been farting so much this morning I drove myself out of bed
    I have heard GeoNet have your house and a 5km radius around it marked as a false quake reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Matt2308 likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have heard GeoNet have your house and a 5km radius around it marked as a false quake reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Ha ha ha ha True story that.

Buy a 338 DCM and just hold a little to the left or little to the right without actually holding off the target and your good to go👍
    7mmsaum, Kiwi Greg, Blaser and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Buy a 338 DCM and just hold a little to the left or little to the right without actually holding off the target and your good to go��
    Except at 1800 yards a Cam then you wish had a 375
    Callum likes this.

Sam Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Except at 1800 yards a Cam then you wish had a 375
    I've had time to look into why I was having trouble with that plate and I have a whole page of excuses to let rip for next time👍
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    I've had time to look into why I was having trouble with that plate and I have a whole page of excuses to let rip for next time👍
    Gold mate just don't use my excuses I will need them all.
    338 likes this.