Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: bolt failure P14

@gundoc I would also like to ask if you can crack test them yourself with industrial crack testing methods (aerosol type)? have used these a bit here and there over the years at work.
    Otherwise I'll stup up the 20 bucks or so and give them to Zac for squiz.
    I have a couple that it would pay to get looked at, although the reports seem to say the actions are the weak points usually not the bolts

NRT
    Christmas decorations up a bit early this year

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
    mucko likes this.

Holy moly.
    Glad you are ok Mucko.

Personally I wouldn’t rechamber 102-103 year old receivers in a Magnum chambering.
    But you wouldn’t expect that of a Mauser action.
    mucko and Russian 22. like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @gundoc interesting.

So in this case (obviously a bit more investigation needed) it wasn't actually the action that has failed? More so the case and that has found the weak point, in this instance a possibly weak bolt?
    @mucko that's shithouse but thank feck you are ok.
    On a lighter note you don't have a slightly used 264 barrel for sale?
    i have a douglas #6 profile in mint condition. 1-9 twist $$$ offers
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    A full inspection of all the bits is needed to come to any conclusion, however I wouldn't mind betting it was an Eddystone action. They are notorious for being as hard as the hobs of hell and a bit on the brittle side.
    interesting ...... good having experts around i was looking at the pic and thought the steel looked a bit too porous almost like cast but i dont know anything about these things so thought i would wait and watch with interest...... is it normal for the steel to be so porous?
    Moa Hunter likes this.

mmmmm
    called my bluff I think. I was going to tap you up for a 303 barrel. that would probably be cheaper
    264 win mag......be nice to wack on the 25-303 if that turns to shit
    mucko likes this.

Commercial crack testing does work OK but it cannot reveal inherent hardening problems with steel itself, only existing cracks. In this regard the Eddystone actions have always been a precarious proposition for high intensity cartridges (a bit like the low number Springfields). Frankly, the prices of modern magnum caliber rifles are so cheap that they are a far superior basis for a custom rifle. If you just want a good shooter then you are spoiled for choice these days. A dollar saved in the wrong area is not always a wise investment!

Commercial crack testing does work OK but it cannot reveal inherent hardening problems with steel itself, only existing cracks. In this regard the Eddystone actions have always been a precarious proposition for high intensity cartridges (a bit like the low number Springfields). Frankly, the prices of modern magnum caliber rifles are so cheap that they are a far superior basis for a custom rifle. If you just want a good shooter then you are spoiled for choice these days. A dollar saved in the wrong area is not always a wise investment!
    whats your thoughts on the 6.5-06 in a P17 action and also 30-06ai.

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    whats your thoughts on the 6.5-06 in a P17 action and also 30-06ai.
    Make sure its not an Eddystone

Any good condition M17 will handle either cartridge well but I made sure I built my own .30/06 long range rifle on a Winchester M17 action. M17 actions by Eddystone, Remington and Winchester were made of nickel steel as opposed to the carbon steel of the earlier P14.
    mucko and csmiffy like this.

Banned
    That's it mucko, back on the horse
    veitnamcam, mucko and Friwi like this.

Hell Mucko that was a bit close for comfort. Glad there was no major injury involved. Might be a bit shy to pull the trigger again on the 264 Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @gundoc interesting.

So in this case (obviously a bit more investigation needed) it wasn't actually the action that has failed? More so the case and that has found the weak point, in this instance a possibly weak bolt?
    @mucko that's shithouse but thank feck you are ok.
    On a lighter note you don't have a slightly used 264 barrel for sale?
    the fracturing bolt allowed the case to seperate it looks like the recoil lugs let go.

Any good condition M17 will handle either cartridge well but I made sure I built my own .30/06 long range rifle on a Winchester M17 action. M17 actions by Eddystone, Remington and Winchester were made of nickel steel as opposed to the carbon steel of the earlier P14.
    the 6.5/06 is running psi in the 50's the 30/06ai i dont have pressure data but its pushing 200ft/sc faster then standard 30/06. would x raying them be of any benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Hell Mucko that was a bit close for comfort. Glad there was no major injury involved. Might be a bit shy to pull the trigger again on the 264 Mag.
    hey mate, once i sort a new action it will be sweet. its just a barrel now action good for parts as it bent. in every way.