Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Close call!

.308 maybe????? controlled feed holds it in place and allows firing pin to hit........ the man is very lucky and the fella who designed rifle did good job,it blew up WITHOUT hurting user.

Fuck a new lego toy to put together............thats munted lucky guy.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

hmmm didnt think it was posible to get poohseventy round to chamber in .25-06..... poking a .300blackout into a .223 would be interesting outcome and they tell me its easy enough to do depending on projectile loaded.
    veitnamcam likes this.

You can salvage the sling, the trigger, the screws and some bits of the bolt maybe...

Well I for one had no idea you could accidentally put a .270 into a .25-06 and close the bolt and fire it.

I have heard of the .223 / .300 Blackout risk as mentioned above. Are they any other potentially catastrophic cartridge swaps anyone can think of? When you see something like this it will stay with you for sure, seeing as how I shoot a .270 occasionally and 2 mates use .25-06 its a bloody effective way to get the heads up and keep yer head in the game, in a bad kind of way...
    viper and Micky Duck like this.

Yikes!
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Close call!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Well I for one had no idea you could accidentally put a .270 into a .25-06 and close the bolt and fire it.

I have heard of the .223 / .300 Blackout risk as mentioned above. Are they any other potentially catastrophic cartridge swaps anyone can think of? When you see something like this it will stay with you for sure, seeing as how I shoot a .270 occasionally and 2 mates use .25-06 its a bloody effective way to get the heads up and keep yer head in the game, in a bad kind of way...
    There are a few that will do this, .308 will fit quite nicely in a .270 with the bullet ogive headspacing almost perfectly on the chamber shoulder!
    Makes a Big Bang! Although I have heard of one where the barrel actually managed to swags the cup n core bullet down to .270and it didn’t blow up.

I have seen my brother in law have a scare with a .308 round in his .30-06, luckily no damage aside from a bent extractor claw.

There will be quite a few more you can find, pays to be careful what you feed your pride and joy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Ron Spomer (american writer) fired a 7mm 08 in a 25/06

"Even more danger results when the wrong bullet diameter (caliber) is fired. I once, in a fit of distraction and stupidity, stuck a 7mm-08 Remington in a Dakota #10 rifle chambered for a .25-06 Remington. It went bang, no hole appeared in the paper target, and the chronograph displayed 400 fps more velocity than it had for two previous rounds. When I opened the action, the primer fell out. The head was black with soot, and when my befuddled brain finally read and comprehended the 7mm-08 Rem. stamped in the brass head, I about jumped off the bench.
    Gibo, Mooseman and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

PJC
    will a 308 chamber in a 7-08 or 243 if the projectile is seated deep enough?

Very lucky to come out of that one stug. It amazes me how often these things happen. My brother gave a guy a 7x57 round for a collection many years back when on a range and somehow that round ended up in this guys 270 rounds and was fired.
    The result was a very heavy recoil and the bolt was jammed but the rifle held together. I suppose the difference in this instance was a projectile of .284 going down a .277 so it didn't have to be forced to hard. ...still I wouldn't want to pull the trigger.

Seen a few interesting photos from rifles being fired with a cleaning rod in the barrel too.

Don't do that either.

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    will a 308 chamber in a 7-08 or 243 if the projectile is seated deep enough?
    Doubt it, but hard to say for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

shite...
    Not good
    Good warning about the 300 in a 5.56 chamber...
    https://www.windhamweaponry.com/bewa...ophic-results/

a howa you say -id say holy shit batman howabout that.bejasus with that luck id be off to buy a lotto ticket.phots like these need to be shown to new firearms users etc to illustrate the need to be very careful using em.
    all the beast to ya mate.

Looking closely at the picture, I would say a few things. Yes one very very lucky shooter.

From what I know about the Howa design, (But I am no expert) the venting holes in the bolt / action design are such that in the event of case failure or dare I say it, explosion, the bulk of the force is directed down through the mag well. Looking at the bottom metal and the way the stock has shattered, to me this looks like the design has done this. The action has clearly also split from the excess pressure meaning the remaining gasses etc could go somewhere away from the shooter. Not sure if these failures are intentional for situations like this, but one way or the other, it would still be as scary as hell.

I had a fellow shooting at the local range. He had just bought two new packets of 30/06 Hornady from a local retailer. He could not figure out why it wasn't hitting the target, He checked the boxes and they were 30/06, but when I checked the 3 fired cases they were 3x 270. He went straight back to the shop to sort out the swap issue because if someone had put the 3x 270 into his packet, it seemed likely the same person could have placed the 3x 30/06 into the 270 packet. Now I check my new boxes of ammo when I go to use them even if they are a new one.
    csmiffy likes this.