Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: DIY Rifle Rest (AKA To Much Spare Time)

Bos

DIY Rifle Rest (AKA To Much Spare Time)

All started when I took the .222 out to have a look at some new reloads and see how they grouped. I set up on our shooting bench with the bipod on the front and the trusty daypack under the stock. Worked as well as it always does, but I got to thinking that there must be something in my shed just as good as those fancy Caldwell rifle rests. Turns out there was
    So its the smallest scissor jack you'll find, bolted to a concrete paver. Put a plastic knob on the jack adjustment, and bent up a bit of flat steel welded to the lifting point., Bit of rubber wound round and round the flat steel where the fore-end will sit, and held with a cable tie.
    Works a bloody treat, and didn't cost $300 odd bucks

Name:  Rifle Rest.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  80.0 KB
    Tahr, Trout, Puffin and 22 others like this.

Been using a very similar setup for years,being able to adjust the height is golden when sighting in off the tailgate of the Ute
    Bos and rewa like this.

Nice, might give it a go one day when I have time.
    Happy Jack.

Nice, have built the same but used a 6" nail instead of the turny knob thingy - I think your one looks better than my effort

I welded a bit of frame out the back with a monopod height adjustable with pins, basically a copy of the sled design, to set the height of the stock

Works ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    All started when I took the .222 out to have a look at some new reloads and see how they grouped. I set up on our shooting bench with the bipod on the front and the trusty daypack under the stock. Worked as well as it always does, but I got to thinking that there must be something in my shed just as good as those fancy Caldwell rifle rests. Turns out there was
    So its the smallest scissor jack you'll find, bolted to a concrete paver. Put a plastic knob on the jack adjustment, and bent up a bit of flat steel welded to the lifting point., Bit of rubber wound round and round the flat steel where the fore-end will sit, and held with a cable tie.
    Works a bloody treat, and didn't cost $300 odd bucks

Attachment 233218
    Love lateral thinking, gold right there. I brought a rip off version of the fancy pants for something like 37 bucks.

Bwaaahaha......

Name:  Rifle rest 2.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  145.8 KB
    308, rewa, RV1 and 1 others like this.

I made one as well but found it rocks side to side a little bit ruining groups

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    I made one as well but found it rocks side to side a little bit ruining groups
    Mine has a horizontal bar welded to the base to give left/right stability and at each end,a large nut welded to the top with a bolt that goes right through from the bottom to make adjustable feet. It also has a sliding extension bar that goes to the rear to hold the butt stock which also has a bolt foot adjuster.... I will try add a photo tomorrow .
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

What happens when Mums Corolla gets a flat tire.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    XR500 and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    What happens when Mums Corolla gets a flat tire.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Front end loader is faster. And probably easier for mum to operate.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Mine has a horizontal bar welded to the base to give left/right stability and at each end,a large nut welded to the top with a bolt that goes right through from the bottom to make adjustable feet. It also has a sliding extension bar that goes to the rear to hold the butt stock which also has a bolt foot adjuster.... I will try add a photo tomorrow .
    @timattalon. Any chance of a photo?

STC
    you people must have very heavy rifles...

Tomorrow? Sorry I got a little busy today....should be sorted soon.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    you people must have very heavy rifles...
    Not heavy rifles...just wobbly muscles......and lightweight holders move around too much under recoil....These mean that I can sight the rifle so it takes everything I do OUT of the equation. hat way I know the impact point lines up with the cross hair.

@ThreeO'Three try this.

The square hole you see in the centre of the bottm rail is where the "leg" goes through for the stock rest. The washer on the threaded rod on the right side of the bottom plate is clamp to lock the stock support in place.

I made it so you can use either hand to adjust the height.

It has a screw on pad for the forestock to rest on and a foam cover and recoil strap for the butt stock so that the metal does not contact or damage the stock.

The three points of contact (feet) are all threaded so they can be adjusted if on a less than flat surface.

Name:  Gun rest.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  1.15 MB
    NIMROD likes this.