Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Double grouping

so Im guessing it sits in the stock and isnt bedded as such???? do you own a hot glue gun?????

northdude
    yep i was thinking of pillar bedding it as ive done with a few of my rifles

I was thinking quick hot glue bedding job to "see" what happens,my little wallaby rifle still sitting in the hot glue job I did 8 years ago and still shooting tiny wee groups. you can always bed it properly afterwards if so desire.

northdude
    how do you do it is it permanantly glued together

PM inbound...

northdude
    cool cheers

Good to see the pic. I really dont like having other people shooting on my targets. It's like stirring someone else's porridge.

I do remember now I've had this myself once where the scope base screw had come loose ( two piece base and ring system). Had more of a random wandering up and down over 15cm than actual double grouping. The other time was a mate's P14 just got it sighted in at "25" and the check shots were a foot away. Sighted those in and after a while found we couldn't hit a rolled out close cell foam. The wood in the stock had split. Sorted by buying a new rifle and never looked back ...

Anyway I dont think you've said, "bases screws- check !" Yet. If youve got it apart for the hot glue job you might as well dismantle the whole mount system and reassemble it with loctite while you're about it.

northdude
    The bases are screwed an epoxied to action they were like that when i got it

Epoxy deteriorates after 5 or 10 years. It's easy to replace it.
    Some people would recommend a loctite 600 something that acts as a filler and adhesive for bonding the rail or mounts to the action.

northdude
    Ok maybe a full dissasemble and reassemble migh be needed ill look at doing that when i find a half decent but not the price of a car scope to put on it given its just happened maybe the budget scope has crapoed out

First point of call for double grouping would be bedding.
    Followed by scope, rings, base setup.
    If you bed it make sure you use something stiff..something not like hot glue, lol.

ChrisW I take it you have never taken a 90s winchester lightweight model70 out of its stock then???? the way they were FACTORY BEDDED is almost eggzachary what you achieve with a good hot gluegun quicky....it will tell you if its worth taking time to do bedding properly....and its quick..really quick...no 48hour wait for araldite to set and hoping like stink you greased action enough and havent got it pernanently stuck in place.
    erniec likes this.

Micky duck, I take it that model winchester would usually shoot 3 or even 5 shots under an inch straight from the box ?

In 25 years it hasn’t become a very widespread manufacturing technique.

Has anyone here used hot melt glue as a successful indicator that bedding was the problem and then got good results from formal rebedding alone ?

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    this one survived typical of what it was doing Attachment 116519
    Thanks for the pic northdude. Did that rifle ever shoot 1/2“ or 1“ groups in the past ?

To state the obvious: this thread has a lot of good things you can do to try and restore accuracy in a previously good rifle. It’s not just „double grouping“ they’re meant for.