Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Driven boar shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'm just giggling about 'these pigs would piss over the average nz pig dog' story...
    I caught a pig today chaps. I'm happy but wet.
    Well done on the pig Dan. The European boar are huge! Not trying to take anything away from kiwi hunters, but the boar are double the size of ours. Wouldn't be impossible, but you'd need some serious dogs to stop and hold a European boar.

Kj

or a plurry good ball dog..... bigger they are to be sure but a good balling dog and bailer should keep one stationary long enough to sneak in and pop it.
    Ive watched heaps of these videos of this fella...yip he can shoot fast and well...BUT its a big calibre he KNOWS where pigs are going to run and you can bet your left nut the video you see is 5% of what is filmed
    give a fella who shoots a rifle for a living the same targets and they would do just as well. heck that's easier than some mobs of goats as they are going in same direction and range is 100yards or less.
    size of pig dogs isn't everything in fact at times smaller/ calmer/less aggressive is better. pig thinks "piss off will ya" and stands there as little shit bites his nuts if he moves, he not under huge pressure and thinks he has situation under control..right up till his final headache.
    put big agro dog or dogs there and he has two choices..fight really well or run like fuck.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'm just giggling about 'these pigs would piss over the average nz pig dog' story...
    I caught a pig today chaps. I'm happy but wet.
    well we didn't but got wet and gorse prickles thou, having said that even went for a deer first thing and same result.
    Danny likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    or a plurry good ball dog..... bigger they are to be sure but a good balling dog and bailer should keep one stationary long enough to sneak in and pop it.
    Ive watched heaps of these videos of this fella...yip he can shoot fast and well...BUT its a big calibre he KNOWS where pigs are going to run and you can bet your left nut the video you see is 5% of what is filmed
    give a fella who shoots a rifle for a living the same targets and they would do just as well. heck that's easier than some mobs of goats as they are going in same direction and range is 100yards or less.
    size of pig dogs isn't everything in fact at times smaller/ calmer/less aggressive is better. pig thinks "piss off will ya" and stands there as little shit bites his nuts if he moves, he not under huge pressure and thinks he has situation under control..right up till his final headache.
    put big agro dog or dogs there and he has two choices..fight really well or run like fuck.
    Yep. Well said. Big boars are often the easiest to pull up and bail IMHO.
    My dogs bail.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Dan M

cheaper vet bills as well
    Danny likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Yip, I ran a pack of 5 dogs for over 10 years myself and have caught one or two boars before. I mainly used bailers too, so I'm not just talking out of a hole in my arse.

Kj
    Munsey, Danny and Micky Duck like this.

Half a rifle there KJ
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop3r View Post
    Half a rifle there KJ
    Yeah mate, shot 2 pigs that day with it. It stated the day as a whole rifle, but didn't come home that way :-)

we didn't say you had a fat arse, your hunting pedigree is well recorded here. Your input is well received as along with your experience in your job, you have a lot to offer. Ha ha I had a shottie that ended up like that after a bad day with the dogs especially with one dog on possums. Man hug
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

love the HUGE tail wag in bottom photo...looks like he still bailing for the camera.