Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: F-Class vid (coached shooting)

F-Class vid (coached shooting)

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    cool video. makes me want to get back out there, damb work gets in the way of everything.
    we are using the electronic targets now. I actually prefured the old way like in the video, easyier to measure using the reticle and the spotter. (no spotter on electronic)
    I don't find it boring at all. at least I wont until every shot is a centre, (which wont happen)
    its interesting, I was told at trentham the open sight shooters were from memory as good, but im pretty sure better! scores than f-class. (maybe that was one person, I cant remember now.) but not having a scope doesn't give much away.

are you using flags shooting steel brads?
    No, our steel shooting is practice for hunting, so natural wind indicators only.
    Should add of all the deer that have been through the freezer none have been standing buy a flag.
    Last edited by BRADS; 23-08-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added two
    Kiwi Greg, Blaser, GWH and 2 others like this.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    No, our steel shooting is practice for hunting, so natural wind indicators only.
    yeah that's what I do. (shooting steel) a few target shooters in my local club scratch there head at that idea, there a bit lost without flags. (still using flags are good practice and you can compare to the natural indicators)

yeah that's what I do. a few target shooters in my local club scratch there head at that idea, there a bit lost without flags. (still using flags are good practice and you can compare to the natural indicators)
    Yeah that was what I wondered in my original post.....How do these guys do at 1000 lying on a tussock bush in the rain with no wind flags.

K95
    Yeah that was what I wondered in my original post.....How do these guys do at 1000 lying on a tussock bush in the rain with no wind flags.
    Who knows? Maybe some people who shoot F-class are also competent at long range hunting too. Depends if the individual likes hunting I guess.
    bully, Dougie and BRADS like this.

ebf
    Bully, the Trentham comment was probably comparing TR with FTR, and yes, the top TR guys can keep up with or beat FTR scores.

FTR is generally considered easier, requires less positional training, breathing control etc. Wind calling skills for both are the same, both use 308.

F-Open is a different animal. More equipment based, and less affected by wind due to caliber/speed.

From this year both FTR and F-O will be shooting ICFRA 0.5 MOA SUPER-V targets, which should make things a bit more interesting especially at the longer distances, and spread the field a bit more. We shot super -V at Hamilton last year, and it really showed up a lot of the competitors. Need to go this way as it will be the only way kiwi shooters can become competitive at world level, and brings us in line with US and AUS.
    Last edited by ebf; 23-08-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

ebf
    Ah ok, the flags are just an indicator. Things like body position, breathing, trigger control etc would all apply. At the really high end I think it gets a lot more subtle than just flags, it's mirage, watching grass/vegetation etc.

The focus might be a bit different, because it is continued prescision over an extended course of fire, not cold bore single shot like hunting. A lot of it also has to do with competition. There are some really good shooters, who fold completely in competition against other people. Or someone that might be a shit hot LR hunter but could not keep shooting at peak level for hour after hour or day after day, it is a different kind of concentration.

So far I have met more hunters amongst the F side of the sport, not a lot in the TR ranks. @DAF might have an interesting take on this question.

From my side it has definitely made me more aware of fundamentals, and also a lot more comfortable with shooting at distance. But I like it mostly for the competitive side, most of my shooting life has been as a competitor in different disciplines. Can easily see myself getting into clay target in future, purely from a mental stimulation point of view.
    Last edited by ebf; 23-08-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    BRADS likes this.

@ebf im kinda interested in getting into F-class for a bit of something different.

are there grades or is it just f-open.?

what is a good score, what is an ok score and what is crap?
    bully likes this.

AB Precision
    My next rig is almost set to go should have stock this week and going to give it good go with this new rig

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    BRADS likes this.

where are you shooting abe? i seen that tube stock of yours on trademe, good platform?

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    @ebf im kinda interested in getting into F-class for a bit of something different.

are there grades or is it just f-open.?

what is a good score, what is an ok score and what is crap?
    I don't even compete.
    I just take whatever calibre and shoot for practice and confirm my drops. you do have to have a scope that dials well though, and be fairly well on the money. theres no shooting from the hip. I shoot with the guys but I don't obey the rules as such. (I suppose I could fit under f-class rules. but for me its my personal standards im trying to improve not compete, its hunting practice)
    its great to talk to the guys, and have a place that is basicly an approved long range, range.

you want each shot to be a bulls eye or the next ring out (v or 5 ring) to be competitive. but just do your best, practice makes perfect etc.

ebf
    PerazziSC3 best thing would be to go to your local club once the season starts (mid sept) have a go and see which side of the sport you like.

FTR is scoped, rear rest, bipod, 308 or 223
    F-open is anything under 8mm, no muzzle brakes, scoped, fixed rests. Typically 7mmWSM, 6.5-284 etc

If you go to Malvern, let me know, there is an old bugger there that could teach you heaps

Scores, haha, depends on what everyone else is doing..

On last years system, good FTR score would be 49.nn or 50.nn, F-open good is 58, 59 or 60.

Crap scores is normally where I am at, hehe. Mid 40s at 300/500, low 40s at longs. I've shot a couple of 50s mostly at 500 and did well at superlongs, but am still serving my "apprenticeship" in the sport.
    Last edited by ebf; 23-08-2014 at 03:11 PM.

I don't even compete.
    I just take whatever calibre and shoot for practice and confirm my drops. you do have to have a scope that dials well though, and be fairly well on the money. theres no shooting from the hip. I shoot with the guys but I don't obey the rules as such. (I suppose I could fit under f-class rules. but for me its my personal standards im trying to improve not compete, its hunting practice)
    its great to talk to the guys, and have a place that is basicly an approved long range, range.

you want each shot to be a bulls eye or the next ring out (v or 5 ring) to be competitive. but just do your best, practice makes perfect etc.
    yeah i would prefer to go just to have the opportunity on a nice clean range. will look into it a bit

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    where are you shooting abe? i seen that tube stock of yours on trademe, good platform?
    Not to bad made much better one now tho that works better and ironed out all the bugs that had no that play one

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Bully, the Trentham comment was probably comparing TR with FTR, and yes, the top TR guys can keep up with or beat FTR scores.

FTR is generally considered easier, requires less positional training, breathing control etc. Wind calling skills for both are the same, both use 308.

F-Open is a different animal. More equipment based, and less affected by wind due to caliber/speed.

From this year both FTR and F-O will be shooting ICFRA 0.5 MOA SUPER-V targets, which should make things a bit more interesting especially at the longer distances, and spread the field a bit more. We shot super -V at Hamilton last year, and it really showed up a lot of the competitors. Need to go this way as it will be the only way kiwi shooters can become competitive at world level, and brings us in line with US and AUS.
    I remember what it was now. target rifle. d collings from our club won. her score would have won her ftr and got her 4th in f-open. which is pretty good for peep sights.

NZ Rifle Association Championship Final 2014 | National Rifle Association of New Zealand

ebf
    Better than "pretty good" - Di and Mike have been shooting for ages, pretty potent duo to have in a club

Club mate and I are planning on coming up for Te Puke champs in Oct, will be a new range for me.
    bully likes this.