Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Forum member DAF wins Ballinger Belt series F Class champs at Trentham!

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Your rifle has me thinking DAF... (thats not a good thing for my wallet...)

Are you going to run it as a switch barrel between the 7mm/300WSM and the Lunatic? Or just swap over the barrel and be done with it?

I have basically the same setup as you in a Lunatic, but have been thinking about getting something a little less hot for volume shooting. Would be good to use the same stock etc for familarity. Thinking the likes of a 338 Norma, or a 300 Norma possibly. Maybe even a 7mmSAUM as I have dies and a reamer for this... What sort of velocity are you getting with the hybrids out of the 7mm/300WSM? What length barrel?

Cheers.
    G'Day,
    Yes, I have been thinking for a while of running it as a switch barrel at this time, I do have another action/stock I was going to drop this in but it currently shoots so damn well I don't want to frig with it.
    I am getting an average 3140 from a 32 inch barrel, its a very accurate load, which kind of surprised me when you look at the rifling with a bore scope (very ugly)

If you want/need 7mmSAUM or 7/300WSM reamer which suit the 180 Berger Hybrids, I have a couple of reamers coming (the SAUM one should arrive any day)

How is your scope holding up to the lunatic?
    I am a bit concerned putting my March on top of one as I see you guys run extra rings
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Cheers for that. Yep I'd be keen to see the specs anyway for your 7mmSAUM reamer. Probably will be throated longer than my one I imagine. Is it setup for the Norma 300SAUM brass?

My scope (NXS 5.5-22) is holding up fine. No movement that I can see. I initially had one set of rings on it (only because I was looking for a set of older, matching NF ultralights the same as the ones on it). Never had an issue with one set on it either (Prob fired 60-70 rounds like that). More just piece of mind really, I have one set hard up against the front of the grooves in the rail, and one hard up against the back of the grooves, as it probably deccelarates as fast as it accelarates under recoil (which is pretty tame for what it is, light guns have a nastier recoil)

Cheers
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

DAF
    I will PM you the full specs once I find them.
    Yes its long throated for the 180 Hybrids but setup for 7mmSAUM Brass.
    I have a heap of the new Nosler 7mmSAUM brass here so I found no need to go the 300SAUM route.
    the Nosler brass out of the box has a .3146 neck with a 180 Hybrid Berger seated and I found my SAUM likes about 3 thou clearance
    ( I also found the rem brass pretty good once its sorted and neck turned which I personally feel is a must as they have a very thick neck and I have heard prone to splitting because of this)

Cheers

I was there, saw the man keep his cool, place his shot. 900 and 1000 yards in massive winds, thunder, lightening and hail. This wasn't luck, this was skill. I've watched him do the same in the field when shooting animals too. Well done Colin. You're far too modest about your achievements.
    DAF and LegaSea like this.

Good on ya ...ya tin arse!!!! That one looks a lil too big to take on the fallow trips, even though both of you seem ok to shoot from ridge, miss a ridge, to ridge

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by savageshooter View Post
    Good on ya ...ya tin arse!!!! That one looks a lil too big to take on the fallow trips, even though both of you seem ok to shoot from ridge, miss a ridge, to ridge
    cheers, speaking of fallow, the freezer is getting a bit low, must be getting time for another fallow trip soon

Quote Originally Posted by DAF View Post
    cheers, speaking of fallow, the freezer is getting a bit low, must be getting time for another fallow trip soon
    That sounds like a plan, mate! And I'll bring one (1) extra beer along. You deserve it after your win...

DAF likes this.