Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Guys, please adivise...re discharging a firearm...

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Tangent from this thread.... What are restrictions regarding ammunition storage when travelling? In a pack under supervision.... In your pocket.... Back of an unlocked truck out of sight....
    Separate from mags and guns is the way to go. Maybe not so much law. But defs common sense.

Hunting on DOC land this is what it states
    No firearm shall be discharged:
    in the vicinity of huts, tracks, campsites, road-ends or other public places
    within 500 m of a Great Walk hut or track
    in a manner that endangers, frightens or annoys members of the public
    in a manner that endangers any property.

Plus obeying anything in the firearm act. Is 50m deemed to be in the "vicinity... more than likely. Is 500m deemed in the 'vicinity"...unlikely but i suppose it depends where and who

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    what are the rules with shooting from boats? is it just the same as above? i can't see anything in the firearms code nor anywhere else
    A year or 3 back i have seen a condition of shooting in a boat where it was stated that you could only hold/discharge a loaded gun when the boat was at anchor only,not drifting, not aloud to be under motor/power. this was on a permit i had from the waikato DoC.

Just found this http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8711...-duck-shooters
    LOC likes this.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    That is viewed as internal magazines by many. It hasn't been interpreted by a NZ court yet (AFAIK).

A loaded magazine, not attached to a firearm is not viewed as "Loaded" in TOETs or drills in either the military or NZ Police, or even civilian range commands. So how could it be interpreted otherwise?
    Wasn't this the prob with the Auck gun store owner who stopped a machete cutting him up by having a loaded mag ready to go? Strange law but at least he survived.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Wasn't this the prob with the Auck gun store owner who stopped a machete cutting him up by having a loaded mag ready to go? Strange law but at least he survived.
    I think it was more that the loaded magazine was already in the pistol and sitting in the top drawer of the desk.

A couple of years I went into the shop while in Auckland. The bullet hole in the glass was still there and the fired case was on display in the gun room with a t-shirt saying "Don't take a machete to a gun fight."

[QUOTE=223nut;521886]As an aside, I have been told that pilots are allowed to carry a loaded firearm on-board if there are live animals being transported!

Asked the wife about this. She has a LOT to do with international transportation of horses.
    1 The first thing they do is lower the oxygen levels if the animal plays up. There all in individual boxs.
    2 If it's still going nuts then bolt gun.
    As far as she knows the pilot would not need to carry the gun it would be the groom our vet that would handle the bolt gun.
    Which makes sense as pilot would not have time to get to the hold.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I know a vet who had a bit to with air freighting horses "way back".
    He reckoned the best way to deal to a horse with issues on a plane was a quick man with an axe.
    How did he get that through the X-ray machine? oh smuggled inside the horses