Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Help me learn and understand if you will

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNAS View Post
    Gidday Rushy, I hope you get things sorted. I got this from the user manual for your scope online.

They say it in a nut shell for you.
    ESTABLISHING EYE RELIEF
    Because of the safety considerations associated with proper eye relief, Leupold
    strongly recommends that you mount your scope as far forward as possible.
    Beyond that, follow these steps:
    1. With the scope as far forward in the mounts as possible, hold the rifle in
    your normal shooting position (Variable power scopes should be set at the
    highest magnification for this process).
    2. Slowly move the scope to the rear just until you can see a full sight picture.
    3. Position your scope here for maximum eye relief.
    4. Proceed to COMPLETING THE INSTALLATION.

One you get this sorted there is a focus/paralex knob on the left hand side of the scope,you should use this to fine tune the paralex when looking at the target.

There is a bit that goes into longrange shooting but, getting the basics right from the start is all ways a recipe for success in the future.

RUNAS
    Thank you RUNAS you are to kind. You could have just as easily said read the bloody manual you daft old bugger. I appreciate it.
    Barefoot likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Ejected
    Like they have mentioned for sight image Rushy, but also don't sit there staring for too long, look away at regular intervals so your eyes don't adjust too quickly. This is probably more so for when your adjusting the sharpness of the reticle and adjusting parrellax. When you have a good sight picture setting parrelax is making sure that no matter where you move your head the centre of the cross hairs don't move from the aim point. Adjust the knob and then move your head up and down, left to right.

If you have a 16gb usb stick pm me for an address and I can load it up with a few handy shooting vids for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Like they have mentioned for sight image Rushy, but also don't sit there staring for too long, look away at regular intervals so your eyes don't adjust too quickly. This is probably more so for when your adjusting the sharpness of the reticle and adjusting parrellax. When you have a good sight picture setting parrelax is making sure that no matter where you move your head the centre of the cross hairs don't move from the aim point. Adjust the knob and then move your head up and down, left to right.

If you have a 16gb usb stick pm me for an address and I can load it up with a few handy shooting vids for ya.
    Yes thats good advise! It takes approx 7 sec before your eye will start to stress looking through a scope.
    During a competion it will very unusal for me to look through a scope for more than a few seconds, however say in a 17 shot string like yesterday even my 38 year old eyes start to get abit stressed being the combined time, to over come this I look at my left elbow to refocus my right eye, I find if conditions call for it I keep both eyes open when I shoot to keep the other on the wind flags if the wind is switching quick, this really plays havoc on them but thankfully when conditions are like this shooting is done slower.

RUNAS

I like to put the scope forward enough on high power so I have to strain/lean forward a little to get the full sight picture lying prone on flat ground.

Then when you have a crappy position in the feild whilst shooting uphill at a target you are much less likely to get a "Weatherby eyebrow"

Do you wear glasses Rushy? I wear skinny progressives and they are a pain when using a scope. I have some old one with a bigger lens and that fixes the problem. Just noted you said you were an old fart hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by RUNAS View Post
    Yes thats good advise! It takes approx 7 sec before your eye will start to stress looking through a scope.
    During a competion it will very unusal for me to look through a scope for more than a few seconds, however say in a 17 shot string like yesterday even my 38 year old eyes start to get abit stressed being the combined time, to over come this I look at my left elbow to refocus my right eye, I find if conditions call for it I keep both eyes open when I shoot to keep the other on the wind flags if the wind is switching quick, this really plays havoc on them but thankfully when conditions are like this shooting is done slower.

RUNAS
    RUNAS I am not sure what you and Nibblet are trying to tell me. The left hand knob only seems to alter focus (sherpness of image) and makes no difference to the black tunnel effect. When I have a good sight picture my eyes do not seem to change no matter how long I look through the scope (or at least I haven't noticed them tiring or feeling as though they are straining).
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Do you wear glasses Rushy? I wear skinny progressives and they are a pain when using a scope. I have some old one with a bigger lens and that fixes the problem. Just noted you said you were an old fart hahaha
    Maca49 I only wear glasses when driving. At all other times I do not wear them. I have never had difficulty seeing through a scope and today the issue was that I was not getting an immediately clear sight picture. I could get a clear sight picture but I had to work for it rather than it coming naturally when my cheek met with the rest. I will do as the others here have suggested and then spend a bunch of time practising / dry firing until it comes without the need for unnatural positioning. I am viewing this very much as a teething issue. It would appear that simply bunging the scope on the rifle wasn't quite enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    The left hand knob only seems to alter focus (sherpness of image) and makes no difference to the black tunnel effect.
    The black tunnel effect is because you eye is not in the right position to look through the scope, to far forward or back generally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    The black tunnel effect is because you eye is not in the right position to look through the scope, to far forward or back generally.
    Thanks KG.

Sounds like you need someone on hand to walk you thru setting up the scope and showing the tricks and function.

I like to set the rifle up where you can look thru the scope as you are doing it so on bipod and near a door you can look out ect, and during the day.
    Thankfully leupold scopes are very generous in the eye relief department so there is a bit of play you have up your sleeve.

I use just the bottom part of the rings on the rifle and get into shooting position and move the scope without scratching the scope tube till i can see thru in both low and high power then softly put the ring tops on and check again, as well as checking it is perfectly vertical.

If the scope is too high is can cause issues too. Can we have a picture?

RUNAS I am not sure what you and Nibblet are trying to tell me. The left hand knob only seems to alter focus (sherpness of image) and makes no difference to the black tunnel effect. When I have a good sight picture my eyes do not seem to change no matter how long I look through the scope (or at least I haven't noticed them tiring or feeling as though they are straining).
    Yep the black tunnel effect is a simple fix, move ya scope Im not sure on the Mk 4s but my Leupolds have got a rear focus with lock ring, if its got that you may want to have a play before you undo any screws.

Dont mean to confuse with the ya rest fella, just trying to give ya some options on why things may seem not right.

RUNAS

You'll sort the foucus thing out later Im sure!

Ejected
    Yeah sorry to confuse you rushy, parrelax knob won't effect your 'tunnel vision' thats purely eye relief issues. Like you said it adjusts focus, but if your focus isn't perfect and your head not completely centered you may be aiming slightly left/right/high/low. Further out you shoot=worse result.

Fulla
    iv found this video very good iv watched it a few times. I think its exactly what you need.

Set up Your Scope for Success - Rifle Shooting Technique - NSSF Shooting Sportscast - YouTube
    POME likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    iv found this video very good iv watched it a few times. I think its exactly what you need.

Set up Your Scope for Success - Rifle Shooting Technique - NSSF Shooting Sportscast - YouTube
    That is brilliant thanks Bully

Maca49 I only wear glasses when driving. At all other times I do not wear them. I have never had difficulty seeing through a scope and today the issue was that I was not getting an immediately clear sight picture. I could get a clear sight picture but I had to work for it rather than it coming naturally when my cheek met with the rest. I will do as the others here have suggested and then spend a bunch of time practising / dry firing until it comes without the need for unnatural positioning. I am viewing this very much as a teething issue. It would appear that simply bunging the scope on the rifle wasn't quite enough.
    Your lucky not to wears glasses, I've worn them since I was 18, great in the rain! I've read thru this thread and there's some good points I will try, maybe glasses are not all of the prob. Thanks