Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Help a newb: No firearm experience -> Long range precision rifle

hey greenhonn, good to see you are keen.

But forget all what you have read, start with a good second hand .22 bolt.
    Shoot thousands of rounds through it, learn how to shoot and safely handle a rifle and yourself when using firearms first.

The ONLY way to become safe and proficient is through practice and a .22 is the way and the light.

If you jump straight into the deep end you are only going to dsisapoint yourself and/or waste a bunch of money.

With time in the scene, you will learn what is a good deal and become 'one of the boys' and advice and a helping hand will most likely follow.

Welcome to the sport man : )
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I think you would be better off starting with a good quality, accurate out the box .22 bolt action rimfire (not a 10/22). Cheap ammo, recoilless and quiet. You will learn the basics of marksmanship before moving on to bigger calibres, plus everyone needs a .22.
    Not a 10/22? I see they come in bolt-action as well and they seem well recommended. What would you recommend as an alternative?

Thanks 40mm, good to see that the advice is unanimous on getting a 22lr bolt first. Looking up models right now.
    Last edited by GreenHorn; 02-07-2022 at 04:06 PM.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    Not a 10/22? I see they come in bolt-action as well and they seem well recommended. What would you recommend as an alternative?
    A Ruger 10/22 is a semi-automatic and the standard versions are not famous for accuracy. Ruger make a basic bolt action rimfire called the "American" and the slightly more upmarket Precision Rimfire which may be of interest to you. Good manufacturers to consider are Anschütz, CZ and Tikka. I'm sure other forum members will make more suggestions if prompted.
    GreenHorn likes this.

Cheers MB, will take that on board and look at those brands as well

the b.a is a 77/22.
    and a good 10/22 is a great rifle. i own 2 of them. some are better than others though. find a 2nd hand one with the alloy trigger guard. they shoot far better.
    GreenHorn likes this.

Welcome aboard, @GreenHorn - great intro.

Getting a centrefire isn't a great idea until you have mastered the fundamentals in a few different shooting positions. It is too easy to develop bad habits and the worst of those is probably flinching in anticipation of recoil. Rimfires are a cheap training platform and great fun in their own right. It is also a lit easier to find a 100m range than a 600m+ one as well. Good luck!
    40mm and GreenHorn like this.

you would be better served by by getting a 243 howa off here or tardme and getting something like a WOOX chassis than an RPR. the difference in cost would go towards a better scope.

the 243 doesn't use an unholy amount of powder, projectiles are available, it is not too expensive atm and you can shoot deer with it too.

RPR are very heavy. really heavy and the fun PRS events involve moving and more hunting style targets/uncomfortable firing positions.

that's my 2c anyway. it is what i'll be doing when funds allow
    GreenHorn likes this.

How long after you first started did you feel you were ready to move up a level?
    How long is a piece of string, I still don't know if I'm ready it is a full on learning curve at 54 and who knows I might only have 10-20 years left to learn it all in.
    GreenHorn likes this.

MB
    Regarding the shift from .22 rimfire to centrefire, how about when you can shoot clover leaf groups at 50m every time? Accuracy is somewhat dependent on the rifle, but the shooter is more important. Both may require work, but I would see it as part of the fun and a learning process.
    Bol Tackshin and GreenHorn like this.

Hi, have a look at a member called Norways videos, the principles of marksmanship remain constant irrespective of the rifle.
    Shoot a 22 rimfire to 200 yards in field conditions and a 308 at 1000 yards will be easy
    jakewire and GreenHorn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Yep .22 is what I started shooting with a couple of years ago, now also own a 22-250 but then also got given a full reloading setup which I should be out playing with right now as its such a nice day.

However Wuflu won't let me go out.

Next for me is a 7mm08 I think as my main hunting rifle but who knows, money is tight right now so have to save for anything I want to buy.
    Guinness drinkers should never own a 7-08 get a 7mmRM and big boy pants
    T.FOYE likes this.

Ah damn thats a shame. I was pretty sold on that being the next stepping stone. Do 2nd hand come up much?
    tbh i have not seen an RPR in that calibre here since they were released, but that's not to say it cant happen. plenty up on tm currently in 6.5 and 308 around the 2k mark
    GreenHorn likes this.
    Good, Fast, Cheap....choose any 2.

"Regarding the shift from .22 rimfire to centrefire, how about when you can shoot clover leaf groups at 50m every time? Accuracy is somewhat dependent on the rifle, but the shooter is more important. Both may require work, but I would see it as part of the fun and a learning process."

I like this idea. Will make it the litmus test of when I move ahead. Been looking up rifles most of the day, have whittled down 6 rifles to either CZ 457 or Tikka T1x but will sleep and stew on it a bit longer.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I started off with a 7mm08 when i got my FAL and only got a .22 a couple of years later. I find the larger calibre rifle easier to be precise long-range with, but I can feel my bank account crying out in pain every time I shoot a group.
    Money wise, and shoulder pain from recoil wise, the .22 is more fun to play with at the range.
    Bol Tackshin and GreenHorn like this.