Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: How do you judge range?

According to my wife I can't judge the range from the end of my dick to the toilet bowl......
    I bought a pair of Swarovski EL Range binos and use them for everything (except having a leak which evidently I still struggle with!)
    Jaco Goosen and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by duckdog View Post
    According to my wife I can't judge the range from the end of my dick to the toilet bowl......
    I bought a pair of Swarovski EL Range binos and use them for everything (except having a leak which evidently I still struggle with!)
    Sit down! Steadies your binoculars too.
    duckdog and Jaco Goosen like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Practice, practice and a little more practice on a regular basis. That works for me. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to adjust my "gut feel" for distance as I've only recently moved to NZ. But I'm keen to join the guys on the range and in the field. It will be a hole new experiance for me and my boys.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Even if you are really really good at ranging using your eyes and reticle, in my would guestimate that you can do no better than within 20% margin of error on both side. That is, if you think the range is 400m, it can be anywhere between 320m to 480m.

If you are a soldier, you only need to hit your enemy and you want to hit your enemy before he hits you, then ranging using your eyes is fine. Even with the additional drop over extra 20% distance the bullet could still hit a human sized target. and if you miss you can always try again.

But as a hunter, you do not just want to hit the target. You want to - A, hit the killzone; and B, on the first shot. Estimating range using reticle is simply too unreliable. for soemone who lives in the city, each hunting trip is very valuable in terms of opportunity cost, petrol cost and accomodation cost. You are lucky if you have 1 opportunity to take a good shot at a deer on each trip. Why taking such a high risk missing?
    Cordite and uk_exile like this.