Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: howa 223 at ranges

A great book to read through is Red Deer in New Zealand by Roger Lentle and Frank Saxton. (ISBN 9781869536466)

You can often find it in the local library.

Heaps of useful information in this book including a worthwhile chapter on shot placement.

YouTube has heaps of channels that look at bullet construction, and what bullets to use for what game. Quite a lot of the information presented is tainted by opinion which varies hugely from bloke to bloke. Some of the American guys for example will insist that you need a bonded bullet or that you must use a mono metal bullet like the Barnes.

The bottom line is that New Zealand red deer hunters have been using standard softpoint hunting bullets in .22 cal since the 60s and they didn’t have YouTube or Internet forums to tell them they were doing it wrong. Episode S07E02 (Back to School) of NZ Hunter Adventures had Willie Duley using an old Sako .222 with 50gr softpoints - watch that on the TVNZ app for an example of how to drop 3 deer for 3 shots, and where specifically he shot them. It’s no different to how you’d use your .223.
    veitnamcam, viper and Micky Duck like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Don’t use the .223 on deer if you are flustered or rushed. It’s a caliber for cool heads and steady hands. But on the other hand it can teach you to shoot well and make correct bullet placement decisions.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I see you are in Otago, I recommend shooting rabbits with your 223. You get plenty of shots in and will be putting plenty of trigger time in.
    I was running a 223 for rabbits and it really gets you into the zone of trigger control, body position, breathing and ranges , they are small at 250 - 400 mtrs plus . I learnt a huge amount varmint shooting.
    It won't teach you where to shoot a deer but you will learn to be accurate and form some solid techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by bs762 View Post
    awesome thank you might have to try that ammo at some point but probably need to practice shooting at shorter ranges for now anyway, good to know shoulder shot is ok to do though
    I just tried the Targex 80grn in my Howa mini.223 they seem to shoot pretty well and same POA as the 69grn so it goes to show the Howa do shoot just fine

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Tahr, viper, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    I just tried the Targex 80grn in my Howa mini.223 they seem to shoot pretty well and same POA as the 69grn so it goes to show the Howa do shoot just fine

Hey mate, what sort of speed are you getting with the 80gr, I'm hoping to put together a similar rifle to yours, it's looking promising

Quote Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
    Hey mate, what sort of speed are you getting with the 80gr, I'm hoping to put together a similar rifle to yours, it's looking promising
    2824fps from a 20" with 2206

c-dog likes this.

2824fps from a 20" with 2206

Is that a quite hot load? Most I could get with 75gr ELDM in same rifle is 2750fps. Realize every rifle is different, makes me tempted to try the targetx 80grn!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Is that a quite hot load? Most I could get with 75gr ELDM in same rifle is 2750fps. Realize every rifle is different, makes me tempted to try the targetx 80grn!
    It's .5 above book max but seems ok in my rifle

Hunty1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    A great book to read through is Red Deer in New Zealand by Roger Lentle and Frank Saxton. (ISBN 9781869536466)

You can often find it in the local library.

Heaps of useful information in this book including a worthwhile chapter on shot placement.

YouTube has heaps of channels that look at bullet construction, and what bullets to use for what game. Quite a lot of the information presented is tainted by opinion which varies hugely from bloke to bloke. Some of the American guys for example will insist that you need a bonded bullet or that you must use a mono metal bullet like the Barnes.

The bottom line is that New Zealand red deer hunters have been using standard softpoint hunting bullets in .22 cal since the 60s and they didn’t have YouTube or Internet forums to tell them they were doing it wrong. Episode S07E02 (Back to School) of NZ Hunter Adventures had Willie Duley using an old Sako .222 with 50gr softpoints - watch that on the TVNZ app for an example of how to drop 3 deer for 3 shots, and where specifically he shot them. It’s no different to how you’d use your .223.
    perfect will have a look at that thank you, seems very useful and will watch that episode too thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Don’t use the .223 on deer if you are flustered or rushed. It’s a caliber for cool heads and steady hands. But on the other hand it can teach you to shoot well and make correct bullet placement decisions.

awesome thank you for that will keep in mind

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I see you are in Otago, I recommend shooting rabbits with your 223. You get plenty of shots in and will be putting plenty of trigger time in.
    I was running a 223 for rabbits and it really gets you into the zone of trigger control, body position, breathing and ranges , they are small at 250 - 400 mtrs plus . I learnt a huge amount varmint shooting.
    It won't teach you where to shoot a deer but you will learn to be accurate and form some solid techniques.
    yup I am, that's a good idea sort of been thinking of it but havent done it yet. that's good ill give it a go
    viper likes this.

aw awesome thank you that's good!

TLB
    I have a Howa mini action also. It is cut down so the suppressor just about touches the stock. It has taken a lot of animals perfectly fine, hundreds of goats and a fair few deer.
    I personally have a self imposed limit of 250 yards on deer as a little bit of wind drift or shooter error with the .223 is not ideal.
    A good 55gr factory load is definitely the Hornady soft point stuff. The hunting and fishing branded ammo is just repackaged Belmont and I do believe the last batch of Belmont were made with Speer projectiles vs the usual Hornady 55gr. These do not shoot as well in my rifle as the Hornady ones and I have found they don't kill smaller animals such as goats as well as they are a bit hard.

I too am a fan of the heavier projectiles, 75gr eld and 77gr tmks. These are limited to hand loading however.

End of the day shot placement is key and as far as shoulder shooting goes not all projectiles are created equal and a shoulder bone on a big red deer is quite an ask for a little projectile particularly if it isn't of stout construction. Personally I would sooner slip it into the lungs.
    viper and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    I have a Howa mini action also. It is cut down so the suppressor just about touches the stock. It has taken a lot of animals perfectly fine, hundreds of goats and a fair few deer.
    I personally have a self imposed limit of 250 yards on deer as a little bit of wind drift or shooter error with the .223 is not ideal.
    A good 55gr factory load is definitely the Hornady soft point stuff. The hunting and fishing branded ammo is just repackaged Belmont and I do believe the last batch of Belmont were made with Speer projectiles vs the usual Hornady 55gr. These do not shoot as well in my rifle as the Hornady ones and I have found they don't kill smaller animals such as goats as well as they are a bit hard.

I too am a fan of the heavier projectiles, 75gr eld and 77gr tmks. These are limited to hand loading however.

End of the day shot placement is key and as far as shoulder shooting goes not all projectiles are created equal and a shoulder bone on a big red deer is quite an ask for a little projectile particularly if it isn't of stout construction. Personally I would sooner slip it into the lungs.
    awesome thanks for that good to know

Barnes TTSX lifts a 223 to the next level. Shot a few red and fallow with that combination with no problems - but I passed on a few shots as well as deer not relaxed and calm. Limit myself to 175m on deer. Load the Sierra #1455 as well for the 223 and can take out most small things to 250m easy. Got a license this year to shoot pukekos on maize block and longest was 300m on calm spring evenings sitting on the hill - great fun.
    Micky Duck likes this.