Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: I finally managed a "sub MOA group"

I finally managed a "sub MOA group"

Hey team,

So I finally managed a sub moa group. Attachment 233018

A bit of back story, it's been over a year of shooting at least one competition a month at the local deerstalkers (having never shot rifle competition). I have shot for almost 20 years, mainly hunting, some long range gongs/rocks out to 1.4km. And plenty of informal shoots in between.

All of the competition has been 4P rimfire 50/100 and 50m F class, or 4P 100m centerfire.

Rimfire I shot a t1x vortex diamondback 4-16, centerfire, t3 in .243, but with a 1-7.5 sporter barrel, vortex strike eagle 5-25x56

I managed to win best aggregate for the hunting rifle for last season, so I was pretty stoked.

But never had I managed this "sub MOA" group that everyone online can get.

But today is the day I can brag to all the internet that I can shoot 1moa and lord it over everyone!!!

But let's be real, to do this I had to fork out for a Barnard action, hart barreled target rifle, this thing is far more capable than i will likely ever be.

Moral of my story is now I realize, the people who can do this every competition don't brag about it, the people like me who have finally managed to do it love to tell everyone about it.

Cheers lads
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Norway, veitnamcam, Trout and 22 others like this.

Well done and it's not one of those "phony" 3 shot groups.

Well done,now dont adjust yr scope.

I have a 3 shot group that looks phony - all three through the same hole. You can only tell by the very slight cloverleafing. I've never been able to do that again either!

Nice group though, frame the bugger.

Did that with my 416 remington over 25 years ago.
    I will concede it was only a 3 shot group but as it can only take 1 in the spout and 3 in the mag, I thought that was fine.
    An acquaintance used up my old box of woodleigh 340 grainers recently having a go with a middling load 2600ish fps) and got similar. Just a good rifle.
    Still have to say well done
    Micky Duck likes this.

Bow then podium. Awesome.

I'm hoping for great things with the new rifle, this was my first time shooting it, and only had 5 minutes of sighting in time, I was lucky with my bore sighting which helps.

10 shot group aswel.

its a tikka
    its a EBRG/twoforfree .243
    you have decent magnification....I would be surprised/looking for issue if you COULDNT do that....
    well done.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Congrats mate. Thats a really good group.

Well done something I have never done usually about 1.5 moa off a bag hasty rest etc good enough to 300 for me.

10 shot group? Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    its a tikka
    its a EBRG/twoforfree .243
    you have decent magnification....I would be surprised/looking for issue if you COULDNT do that....
    well done.
    Dunno Mickey ..he mentions a Barnard action to achieve this.... might not be a T3 Tikka anymore.

But great shooting none the less!!

Correct, I couldn't do this with my tikka with a sporter profile barrel, three shots occasionally, but not consistently and never 10 shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrygoat View Post
    Correct, I couldn't do this with my tikka with a sporter profile barrel, three shots occasionally, but not consistently and never 10 shots.
    What sort of rest?
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

see a 10 shot group is simply 10 shots...and that can be shot over 2 minutes or 2 hours or 2 months and its still a 10 shot group..arguably over 2 months is the most reliable and 2 minutes will be the worst due to barrel heating up..but this is a 243 and they are ALMOST without exceptions plurry accurate and easy to shoot.
    a light profile sporter barrel was never designed to shoot long string of rounds quickly and accurately..one or the other for sure but not both together. same with a lightweight mountain rifle...by concept/design its to lug around for hours and days then one or two shots ,hopefully with good rest and technique..... a varmit rifle opposite...little carry much shooting....
    75/15/10 black powder matters