Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I love my Rossi .357 levergun, but I don't shoot well with it.

I would like get a mount to use a small 2moa red dot (off one of my Voldemort guns) on one of my Rossis, using the threaded holes hidden under the factory rear sight (sight uses a dovetail, but they have a hole or two under there). It would be a lot easier to just carry on with life and use a legal gun, but my government overlords are determined to make things as hard as possible: Can't get one in, dealers don't carry them, they are like $25-50 in the states. Maybe @DPT could make one?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

SOMEONE DOES IT...... Ive seen one done....

TAKE MY MONEY
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Would a 27" .44 barrel with a rifling twist of 1-18" be any good, What is the twist rate of the lever guns in .44mag.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I wondered when you would chime in Mate.....

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    I've never tried ballistic tips in any caliber, but it seems they are good for extending the 'point blank' range. I am fairly busy for the foreseeable future, but I hope to do a whole lot of reloading and shooting before too long and ballistic tips would be a good thing to try.

I reckon those glasses might be good for competitive long range shooting where iron sights have to be used.
    Lyman used to make a little aperture that you could clip on to your glasses especially for that reason. I made something similar from some soft alloy sheet, with my ageing eyes it really sharpened the sight picture

That's interesting about the Lyman 'clip on'. I seem to recall reading, years ago, in a very old American hunting magazine, about using a disc with a hole in it to sharpen the sight picture. My father had a stack of 'American Rifleman' magazines... it was probably one of those where I saw the article.

OK I googled it, for the .44mag normal twist rate is 1-38" but to stabilize 240gr bullets you need 1-20", or maybe 1-18". The truth will come out one day as I`m rifling a .44 barrel now to 1-18" , no you can't have it, it`s for an order I`m filling, word of mouth is getting out there.
    Micky Duck and Scout like this.

found it...nz guns n hunting #169 nov/dec 2018 page 70
    eyepal peep sight system

Thanks Micky. I just Googled it and came across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVeEwVFAWME

Always found the Rossi’s to be on the heavy side considering the size of them,had a 77/44 and it was way lighter.nice little actions tho.

Hey The Bomb, how would you rate that 77 for accuracy and reliability? I've heard good things about them.

A Ruger 77/44 sold on TM for $1300 on Saturday. You don't see them come up very often

Bloody good for bush hunting,I suppressed mine and shot heavy cast into an inch @50m,270g would shoot thru any stag in nz I reckon,killed a huge pureora red last year with a front on chest shot at30m and the slug still exited..reloads in 240g hornady killed well also,I used a red dot most of the time but scoped it was easily 2moa out to 100m.i bedded the magazine well which is the way to do it as there is no recoil lug and that tightened up the groups and made it so I didn’t have to resight it after stripping for cleaning.

I think gunworks do a deal on suppressed 77/44s.