Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I love my Rossi .357 levergun, but I don't shoot well with it.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    I think gunworks do a deal on suppressed 77/44s.
    Mate sent his 77/44 to Gunworks to be suppressed. Requested an over barrel suppressor. When he got the rifle back the barrel had been cut down to nine inches length. To say he was pissed would be an under statement , He`s a fairly relaxed sort of dude so eventually just accepted it though I think he contacted them to express his opinion. There had as I understand it been no indication from GW that the barrel would be cut back to that extreme. To rub salt into the wound the Suppressor wasn`t as quiet as the PVC one I had made and fitted to his rifle first. He had decided to spend the money and get it done properly something I know still Irks him.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Those 77s seem like a good option. Thanks for the info. I don't really need a .44, but I think that it is a great choice for a subsonic suppressed rifle and chances are I may eventually decide that I should get a rig like that.

I'm fascinated by your PVC suppressors Tasbay. Apart from photos of your suppressed rifle with game, are there any details posted anywhere on the 'net where I can take a good look at your system? It kinda reminds me of a suppressor that my Dad made for a Lee-Enfield .303 many years ago... long before I saw Kiwis commonly using suppressors on hunting rifles. He was inspired by the de Lisle silent carbine. Here's a link to a video showing the vintage suppressor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u7x4Ok52JU

Here are the only photos I have of the Lee Enfield suppressor. When my Dad and my Uncle were working on this project, I don't know what powder they would have used for their subsonic loads... I bet they would have loved Trail Boss.

I suppose I should have really started a new thread. I can do if necessary. Don't feel shy about advising me.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Name:  DSCF2088.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  3.00 MBName:  DSCF2099.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  2.83 MB

Coote: Similar set up to what your father built though internal baffles may differ. My own design so nothing on the webb I know of.

Did yah dad end up shooting anything with the 303?

Thanks Tasbay. I imagine that rig is pretty effective.

I don't ever recall dad taking that rifle out hunting. Although it was very quiet to shoot and probably accurate enough, I don't think he'd come up with his ideal ammo load. He was a metalworking engineer and loved to have projects. Like me, if I don't get out much to look for a deer I would choose my most reliable rifle for the job to maximise the likelihood of bringing home meat. So he would have probably left the little gun behind and taken out a rifle with a bit more reach and a flatter trajectory.

I loaded up a few cartridges with Federal primers today, then went and shot some groups. I got one pleasing group with Federal primers and round-nosed swaged lead bullets... but my next group with Federal primers and semi-wadcutter hollow swaged lead bullets was not so good. I also shot some round-nosed bullets with CCI primers and got acceptable groups.

I'd like to tame those semi-wadcutter hollows because they look good for the job... and because I have a couple of hundred of them. Never mind, perhaps my new Henry will like shooting them when it finally arrives. The wadcutters grouped well when loaded in nickel-plated brass using CCI primers, but when loaded in Starline brass they haven't been so good... while other projectiles shoot well enough from Starline. This isn't a straightforward business. But it is fun.

I don't have a bench rest for testing. So I either lie down and use a 'sandbag', or shoot resting on the bonnet of my Suzuki, or sit down and use shooting sticks. My sticks are just natural branches... one is barberry and the other is kanuka. I have a fairly loose lashing holding them together... and I can slide the lashing up and down with the sticks held parallel. When I'm shooting I spread the sticks apart to form an 'X' which I use as a rest for my left hand. I've only just started using them and I'm impressed. I might have to take them out when I'm next chasing rabbits... they'd be useful in a situation where I can't see the rabbits if I lie down to shoot.

The highlight of the afternoon was having a fantail land on the top of one of the sticks as I was taking aim.

I haven't done so much shooting for ages. Here is what I've concluded:

=Shooting is fun and pursuing the best accuracy with reloading can be perplexing.
    =While I'd like the Rossi to group better, its accuracy is perfectly adequate for bush stalking.
    =I might not get marvellous groups with the Rossi, but I get some very good groups with my open-sighted .22s.
    =There is a lot I don't know.
    =I should practice more, especially to train my eyes with open sights.
    =Too much ammo would be a very big amount.
    Tommy and Micky Duck like this.