Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: im a bitch with a flinch

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Blinking is a natural thing as opposed to closing your eyes in anticipation of the shot which is what some people do. I focus on trying to see the impact of the bullet through the scope and find that helps keep my eyes open throughout. If you want to have a bit of fun at a party with blinking then bet someone that you can make them blink and then when they take the bet tap them in the centre between their eyes just above the bridge of their nose. I do not know anyone that can stop themselves blinking when that happens to them.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I suppose at least im not blinking before I pull the trigger, it could maybe be because im keeping my eyes open for the shot that once I hear the bang I just blink or maybe its that bang makes me blink idk, its not affecting my shooting so it cant be a big problem.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I also suffer from ''little bitch flinch'' syndrome.

My cure is to focus on where I'm going to hit the target - and not how much it’s going to hurt.

Works a treat, as the shot just happens without me realising now.

kj

Yes it's strange isn't it, it doesn't hurt to shoot, I've been smacked in the head a few times - that hurts, I have been scoped 3 times, maybe it comes from that, I used to hunt with a muzzle braked rifle without ear protection - maybe it's from that? It was some time ago though
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Re: im a bitch with a flinch

I had a short barrel 300wsm that kicked like satan that gave me a flinch. Really did a number on my confidnce shooting 22s is great for keeping the eyes open.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

ebf
    good advice here.

random dud round to confirm, mag either loaded by someone else, or shuffle the rounds yourself.

consistent, continuous trigger pressure. practice releasing the trigger under control as well. semi-auto/pistol you can reset it without letting go of all the slack.
    lighter grip on the stock
    figure out what works better for you, holding your breath or slowly releasing while applying trigger pressure
    lots and lots and lots of dry-fire

Banned
    adjust yor trigger, maybe make it a little lighter so you arnt consentrating on the pressure you neeed to aply to it thus less thinking on the trigger pull that might help?.

Could be a result of recoil & you've become conditioned to it .Flinch is due to anticipation it.
    Which could of come about from not mounting the rifle properly against your shoulder.If not held firmly enough
    its going to hurt you even a smaller caliber will boot. Larger cal; can do damage to your collar bone .
    I'd try a 25m target off hand concentrate on pulling the butt hard into your shoulder ,focus on center of target & gentle on the trigger.
    Gun control means using both hands

I had a bad flinch - cost me a few deer I reckon.
    Got a muzzle brake - problem solved.....

Do whatever this girl does

KIRSTI SHOOT'N 44 MAGNUM - YouTube

She doesn't even bat an eyelid.

Chris

Muffs and Plugs sure does help, Mate was used to shotgun shooting and used to flinch from noise, plugs and muffs helped him. I get the odd flick going testing groups with the light SAUM but a few rounds with the 223-243 and some self talk about being a pussy soon sorts it
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

R93
    Didnt see any flinch yesty. You shot very well Smiddy. That 7mmsaum of yours is a nice accurate bit of kit. Still, the shitty old blaser shot the tightest groups of the day. Funny that I spose the rest were just testing loads and Bob was fighting off a korean war, human wave, as usual

I was a bit concerned to see the way creeping deaths .284 and whistleling wings rifles were cleaned. Fitting a bit of 200 grit sand paper to a jag and drill then running them up the barrel a few times must be the west coast way of lapping them?
    Both those Bogans will be happy with there gats I spose. They did shoot well until the sand paper treatment.
    Smiddy likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Re: im a bitch with a flinch

Stirrer :p. I heard it shot well

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Stirrer :p. I heard it shot well

Yeah it did shoot well. With a bit more load dev it will be pretty sharp.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Smiddy - the fact you're conscious you're flinching means you are half way there - seriously. A lot of people develop a flinch and don't know they have it - they miss and wound animals without knowing why. As humans we have an aversion to getting huge amounts of noise and a decent punch in the shoulder (note - this can be a punch in the cheek / face if your rifle doesn’t fit properly etc). Gimp despite his name is on the money with the hearing protection piece – control the controllable – eliminate the noise it’s a real powerful association with any other discomfit you experience during the shot. Your suppressors will help this a lot. Make sure your rifles fit you properly – get someone who know what they’re doing to have a look and make any required adjustments. A good recoil pad also helps. Reload some really mild loads for your usual hunting rifle as well as firing plenty of rounds through any light recoiling rifle to get practise doing it right (just like a boxer sparring with head gear and big gloves to get used to getting punched in the head  ). Focus on getting damn tight groups (which you’ll never get flinching) which will be the litmus to where you’re at. Finally I recommend developing a routine prior to squeezing the trigger where you tell yourself to relax. How is it all going? A good mate of mine developed a flinch a few years back – after we got our hands off our dicks and the macho crap he became a really reliable good shot.