Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Indoor range

Greetings All,
    I have a range on our small block. It is only used occasionally and I had previously spoken to all of the near neighbors and do so to the new ones when properties change ownership. I limit myself to 10 or so shots to each session and not on consecutive days. This means that if a neighbor hears some shots they know they will stop soon and there won't be any tomorrow. One of the neighbors asked if I could let him know prior to shooting so he could put his noise averse dog in a room with the radio on. Done. My range is in a small valley, with the bench in a grove of trees and our property extends to the ridge line on three sides so there is likely some noise abatement from that. Recently I started fitting suppressors to my rifles and this has helped greatly. Even my wife only hears one shot of two only about 30 metres from the bench. These days I also save the un suppressed rifles for our club range days as much as possible.
    I think the message here is to keep the din down, as much as possible, in both volume and duration and talk to your neighbors before blasting away.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by r87mm View Post
    Talked to owner more and got more info. Council got involved and ended in a court ruling of 55 decibels but not sure where measurements are/ were taken from. Anyway using a modified container with sound proofing materials he got the initial blast noise etc down but the disturbance of the bullet passing through the air to the target produced 65 decibels. As said digging a trench and roofing it will be probably be the best and cheapest option. As luck would have it I may have found about 50m worth of old precast concrete slabs. Will be following up and then maybe make some forms up and make the rest. Thanks for you guys input. Will post the outcome if we give it ago but will be a few months at least.
    Have you contacted Shane? He managed to get signed off on a 25 mtr indoor range within cooee of residential etc, so probably has the good oil
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

He's in a building with a range built into it as part of the build so a bit different. This person has already had history with the neighbor and has court ruled conditions to stick to. It's not so bad if you look at it. They haven't said he can't or shouldn't do it and he's been set rules and limits that are quite achievable. Just a matter of meeting them in the best and most cost effective way. Even wondered today how cool store panels would go as a roof on a trench? Concrete lidded trench would be the longest lasting and cheapest. Cement and mesh would be the only real cost
    Pengy likes this.