Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Let's see those 284s

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Could that box fit a REM model 7?
    Unfortunately not mate only rem 700 short or clone

Banned
    Cool long box on the remmy. My winchester has mag length of 3.070...I had preferred to keep COAL length at around 3.000 as it's easy to plug the rounds in...might revisit a longer high BC projectile such as your lrab at 3.030

Just looking into options down the line. I have a t3 in 260 with an 18" bbl, long mag and long bolt stop. From what I understand the bolt face is the same so is it as easy as a gunsmith just reaming it out? 284 is like catnip to me haha

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Just looking into options down the line. I have a t3 in 260 with an 18" bbl, long mag and long bolt stop. From what I understand the bolt face is the same so is it as easy as a gunsmith just reaming it out? 284 is like catnip to me haha
    Different bore size man. Would be a rebarrel job. Not many gunsmiths doing the work on tikka barrels anymore either.
    Tbh though inside 400 odd the 284 isn't going to do anything the 260 can't do, and the 260 will do it with significantly less recoil.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    JoshC likes this.

So what buy an aftermarket barrel? Thought I read something about rem my barrels being able to be fitted into tikka actions? I plan to have one gruntier rifle to do all so a 284 superpig ticks all my boxes. 1000m+ targets and good killing power to 800m~ ideally

So what buy an aftermarket barrel? Thought I read something about rem my barrels being able to be fitted into tikka actions? I plan to have one gruntier rifle to do all so a 284 superpig ticks all my boxes. 1000m+ targets and good killing power to 800m~ ideally
    Cleland gunsmith could rechamber your .260 to a 6.5x284 other wise it's a new barrel to get a straight. 284.

Yeah man. I believe the duleys use rem take off barrels. If I was going to all that trouble id spend the extra couple hundy on a reputable custom barrel.

I had the same thoughts when I purchased my 284, but the reality of my hunting actually is that 500+ is a fuck of a long way. And while I've got grunt out to 800 odd I'd never dream of shooting an animal that far away. Reading wind at those distances is a real challenge.

By all means if you want one go for it, but if your anything like me then the current rifle you have will do the job fine.

25/08IMP, superdiver and csmiffy like this.

Banned
    I would keep the 260 and build a 284 with a std length barrel in a c.f. stock for jollies

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    I would keep the 260 and build a 284 with a std length barrel in a c.f. stock for jollies
    Exactly what I'm doing now. Just with stug for stock work and shes all finished

Banned
    Cool, wish it were me. What action are you using?

you using?

It's a reamed tikka 7mm 08. Cleland gunsmiths did the job several weeks ago. Load development once it's back from stug now that my brass and dies have arrived.

I’ve got a Tikka barrel that’s been reamed to 284 that shoots real well. PM me if Keen
    superdiver likes this.

Pm'd