Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: long range 338 tests

fair enought to Claw ,still always good to meet and shoot with other keen longrangers -maybe next year!

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    We all know Shane from when he started all this.

Claw, when I get back, we will have a free shoot at my place with all the steel and a laugh for a weekend. Sound good?
    Yeah mate. When do you get back?

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Tapatalk 2
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Hey Tussock how far you shooting out to and what kinda toys will you have .? Shane has done a good thing for longrange shooting especially travelling the comps from Island to Island and doing a good job being organized for shooters to turn up compete ,share a meal and talk about the things we enjoy and leave until the next one .Cost a little but it has been worth the cost to meet and shoot with some great guys from both North and South Islands.
    Its great to see also some state of the art weaponary arrive at the shoots with the latest AX Accuracy Internationals and Vectronix 21 LRF's -not to forgot some older style rifle also .

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Hey Tussock how far you shooting out to and what kinda toys will you have .? Shane has done a good thing for longrange shooting especially travelling the comps from Island to Island and doing a good job being organized for shooters to turn up compete ,share a meal and talk about the things we enjoy and leave until the next one .Cost a little but it has been worth the cost to meet and shoot with some great guys from both North and South Islands.
    Its great to see also some state of the art weaponary arrive at the shoots with the latest AX Accuracy Internationals and Vectronix 21 LRF's -not to forgot some older style rifle also .
    So hes doing a great thing with LR because he runs these comps???................oohhh you are right i dont think we would be here without it

We have held twice as many shoots, seen and used all the fancy gear, had meals and beers and done it all for free.

Shane has done f*ck all for long range shooters in NZ. He has given his ego a boost though......
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

An actual competition of the style that Shane runs would be interesting to run and see, because it's a much more realistic and honest test of your skill than a casual shoot.

I'm planning on running one sometime for free or a minimal cost under the forum banner.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Two weeks in June, probably be fairly hectic, then back for good in October. I will have time on my hands (uninjured fingers crossed) to set up a shoot. Gimps looking at a fun shoot, semi competitive run as a course which I will help with too. Be easy to run a small shoot at my place on the original range.
    Good as, let me know if you need a hand with organising it. We should put the practice into practice and go for a look for an animal (rabbit, wallaby, tahr maybe) the next day or 2 after the shoot ...

Sent from my cellphone...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Shane has created a nation wide contest platform unlike what you are doing with friends .To set up a contest scene takes alot intial investment and alot of personal input especially finding farms and having all things prepared for the shooters when they arrive .
    It would be better to hear you say that he is doing a great job and service to the LR shooting community who have an interest in matching their skills against other enthusiasts and meeting to talk about their kit
    We will always have tall poppy cutters who want to knock the very good work of others but thats the life is

Shane has created a nation wide contest platform unlike what you are doing with friends .To set up a contest scene takes alot intial investment and alot of personal input especially finding farms and having all things prepared for the shooters when they arrive .
    It would be better to hear you say that he is doing a great job and service to the LR shooting community who have an interest in matching their skills against other enthusiasts and meeting to talk about their kit
    We will always have tall poppy cutters who want to knock the very good work of others but thats the life is
    You want me to arse lick??

He has a big enough ego now thanks
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

Arse lick no ! Just give credit where credits due and maybe join a crew in a compition , allways interested to see the skills of others and either teach or learn from them as happens at these events
    Last edited by el borracho; 17-04-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Norway comes from the other side of the planet to run free LR courses.

Not keen to pay $120 to gearwank and shoot steal when I can do it for free with my friends.

From what I heard Norways ticket is paid for or he has a fee? I am not promoting Shanes shoots as such just making comments on their value to the LR shooting community who like to compete.Shane himself is very down to earth and an absolute gentleman !
    The is a big difference to the occasional contest on your home grounds and one that is run nationally -nationally the commitment is alot greater as is the on going effort .As far as gear wank -I have it all Terrapin LRF , Trimble Nomad running patagonia ballistics plus several other programs , S&B 5X25 , Kestral 4500 amd a great rifle platfrom built around a Barnard single shot .284 wildcat this shit helps me win stuff ! I guess part of the type of shooting I do involves great gear where possible .
    The Takapo contests I am going to attend next moth is $190 and I havent a problem paying that for what will be a great event -I guess some do

I was keen to do the Ginslinger this time, many people have asked me if I was going or told me I should do it.

Then I found out the price hike this time & the 5km climb up a hill with all your gear, as if you would chuck it on a trailer behind a quad for the trip up the hill driven by ??? ....
    Yes I could get a lift up the hill in a machine, another $140......
    But what really did it for me was the event is capped at 338 & 1 gun for 1 shooter.
    To further the sport you need to be able to accomodate bigger toys as has been possible in the past.
    There will be a few disappointed would be larger calibre shooters around, just as well most of the 375s aren't built yet or there would be more.

I would much rather invest my time & $$$ to go shoot steel with mates in either Island as I have done many times in the past.

I believe there is a steel shoot on the coast on the same weekend

I imagine the 338cal and below may be about the strength of the frames and steel with the larger calibers possibly able to drill or break the gear -not cheap to replace as I am sure you would be aware with the harder steels prices.
    The copter ride up the hill is about $70 plus with your gear following up behind in a quad .
    I believe the one gun policy came out of certain people shooting the same gun one after another once the first guy had winded his rifle in giving that team an unfair advantage.
    It is a shame KiwiGreg that you cant use your 375 as I for one would like to have seen how you and the rifle shoot .
    I am tossing a 180 gr berger down the course which will stay supersonic out to around 1800 yards if I remmeber correctly - 7mm great caliber and much cheaper to shoot giving similar ballistic to the 250gr pill in 338lm
    Last edited by el borracho; 18-04-2012 at 10:11 AM.

I imagine the 338cal and below may be about the strength of the frames and steel with the larger calibers possibly able to drill or break the gear -not cheap to replace as I am sure you would be aware with the harder steels prices.
    The copter ride up the hill is about $70 plus with your gear following up behind in a quad .
    I believe the one gun policy came out of certain people shooting the same gun one after another once the first guy had winded his rifle in giving that team an unfair advantage.
    It is a shame KiwiGreg that you cant use your 375 as I for one would like to have seen how you and the rifle shoot .
    I am tossing a 180 gr berger down the course which will stay supersonic out to around 1800 yards if I remmeber correctly - 7mm great caliber and much cheaper to shoot giving similar ballistic to the 250gr pill in 338lm
    Don't forget your spotter

I'm not getting into a calibre debate, but a small 338 with 250s or 300s wouldn't be much dearer to shoot than a 7mm, if anything, especially as you get out beyond 1000.
    The closer the 7mm gets to the 338s ballistics the shorter the 7mm barrel life is & the more expensive it is to run by the time the comsumables are factored in