Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: long range 338 tests

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I was keen to do the Ginslinger this time, many people have asked me if I was going or told me I should do it.

Then I found out the price hike this time & the 5km climb up a hill with all your gear, as if you would chuck it on a trailer behind a quad for the trip up the hill driven by ??? ....
    Yes I could get a lift up the hill in a machine, another $140......
    But what really did it for me was the event is capped at 338 & 1 gun for 1 shooter.
    To further the sport you need to be able to accomodate bigger toys as has been possible in the past.
    There will be a few disappointed would be larger calibre shooters around, just as well most of the 375s aren't built yet or there would be more.

I would much rather invest my time & $$$ to go shoot steel with mates in either Island as I have done many times in the past.

I believe there is a steel shoot on the coast on the same weekend
    It's practical shooting... You don't carry 2 rifles hunting, do you? And I think you just demonstrated the problem with the larger rifles: No-one wants to carry them anywhere, they're not practical.

I'm all for shooting in a practical competition format occasionally rather than a casual shoot as it will tell you a hell of a lot more about your ability than a casual shoot. You can't compare the 2 things.

Gimp +1 me to

Yes the barrel wear is certainly another consideration .I have just seated my projo out after I lost some accuracy after around 800 rounds and well see when this happens again -great things single fed actions as you just keep pushing the pill out further and further

cost =case $190 pill .90c primmer .8c powder .40-50c a round -more or less using a shell 5-6 times $1.79 a shot
    plus .57c barrel were per shot say 1400 rounds per barrel =$2.26 per shot in reality

Lapua -farkkk $5 a case I dont know the rest to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    It's practical shooting... You don't carry 2 rifles hunting, do you? And I think you just demonstrated the problem with the larger rifles: No-one wants to carry them anywhere, they're not practical.

I'm all for shooting in a practical competition format occasionally rather than a casual shoot as it will tell you a hell of a lot more about your ability than a casual shoot. You can't compare the 2 things.
    So when you go hunting/shooting you carry one rifle to shoot out to 1600 + yards ?.........

As I understand it, it use to be shot in two parts long & really long courses.

Then a few guys used two rifles.

You can still learn a lot from a causal shoot, possibly a lot more as you aren't restricted to shots fired so you can figure out where your shots are going if you are having trouble spoytting them, which has happened in the past.

So when you go hunting/shooting you carry one rifle to shoot out to 1600 + yards ?.........

I don't shoot that far when hunting, and frankly I don't think it's possible to make any sort of consistent first round hits at that range. I have yet to see anyone make consistent first round hits at ranges much closer than that. Besides which I have no interest in doing so. I don't count shooting to 1600+ yards as "practical" shooting.

I think it's possible to learn a lot less from a casual shoot if you don't apply ruthless self-assessment as there's no incentive to make first round hits, and no "score" so you have no realistic summary of your performance at the end of the day. There is also no time constraints etc, so there's no incentive to learn efficient habits. It's very easy for people to get false confidence from shooting a small group or making a hit at a very long distance - they tend to suddenly forget all the misses that came before it.

There are now two division of shooting long to 1000 yards and the other longer to 1760 yards .One can pick either both or one devision to compete in .
    Gimp I am in agreement on the casual versus a timed string of shots under pressure even if your own trying to asses and vanquish the conditions as you see them .I prefer to shoot as a team with one other to talk aboutwind , mirage and hits or misses .The pressure change the ball game for sure and I have gone from hero to zero more than once and back again .
    One doesnt need the most fancy gear to compete but it does help although in the second to last contest Andy off this forum won with great wind judgement and shooting out to 1000 yards with his Tikka 6.5x55 as mentioned earlier on .
    Deffinatly different than a casual shoot and barbq with beers

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I don't shoot that far when hunting, and frankly I don't think it's possible to make any sort of consistent first round hits at that range. I have yet to see anyone make consistent first round hits at ranges much closer than that. Besides which I have no interest in doing so. I don't count shooting to 1600+ yards as "practical" shooting.

I think it's possible to learn a lot less from a casual shoot if you don't apply ruthless self-assessment as there's no incentive to make first round hits, and no "score" so you have no realistic summary of your performance at the end of the day. There is also no time constraints etc, so there's no incentive to learn efficient habits. It's very easy for people to get false confidence from shooting a small group or making a hit at a very long distance - they tend to suddenly forget all the misses that came before it.
    I understand what you are saying, the good old my "gun shoots 1/2 moa", when it might have done it for 1 group once......
    Its about being honest with yourself, your abilities & trying to improve them.
    With the bigger claibres you have a "better chance" of getting 1st round hits at extended ranges, all things being equal
    Inside 1000 starts to get boring fairly quickly in good conditions.

I understand what you are saying, the good old my "gun shoots 1/2 moa", when it might have done it for 1 group once......
    Its about being honest with yourself, your abilities & trying to improve them.
    With the bigger claibres you have a "better chance" of getting 1st round hits at extended ranges, all things being equal
    Inside 1000 starts to get boring fairly quickly in good conditions.
    Anything up to and including 800 is boring in good conditions with a 223 (as you saw on the coast) WOuld be doubly boring with a 338

223 in other than still conditions is a nightmare to spot and even then hard!

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I agree on all counts, competitive practical LR is a cool thing.

We will be running it through the forum at some point, as we have always intended to.
    Good idea........ We have the perfect range for that... Ive plenty spare time through winter to run/help put together such an event....

But I wouldnt ever compete in such a thing..... I dont want my cock to shrink......
    I struggle to get sex as it is
    Grim, sneeze and tui_man2 like this.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Classic...

Sent from my cellphone...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

changes to where ever, always south island
    Yes unfortunately while some good competition rocks upto these events the great relitive or great on the hill shooters dont show at this kind of thing. Its a pity really.
    Last edited by tonka; 19-04-2012 at 12:58 AM.

I do

So he comes here to deer hunt and takes some time out to teach a few of you in the south the finer points ?I had heard via the wind of rumours you guys in the south comensated him to be here and teach but obviously I wrongly informed .

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    So he comes here to deer hunt and takes some time out to teach a few of you in the south the finer points ?I had heard via the wind of rumours you guys in the south comensated him to be here and teach but obviously I wrongly informed .
    I dont mean to be rude but the way you show up on this site and throw around obsenities and rumours towards much respected members leaves much to be desired..

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    If you call giving Norway a book (Davey Hughes book) for a day of tuition paying for his services, then yes he was paid. Norway was over on holiday, not hunting at all and ki.dly offered to instruct for a day (off his own back as I understand). Cost us $31 each for the consumables and lunch... I personally got a lot of value from this, it was a basic, stripped down course, no electronic gadgets or flash harry gear. Bloody good day!

Sent from my cellphone...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more