Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: long range 338 tests

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Not sure if this is aimed at me.
    No, not at all, I just missed a couple of pages on the cellphone. It was more a general comment; the forum will be a bad place if we create "gurus" and don't allow people questioning them.
    I think we agree fully, I just don't see the need to to bash El. Obviously I must be doing something wrong during teaching if people don't assimilate.

Hi Norway , thank you for your clarification and when I was told that you were paid for your good efforts it was in no way said with any negative conatation -just someone with incorrect info .
    Questioning and challenging the gurus or heavy locals is always a must as it inspires debate which in turn inspires new ideas and actions .
    I to have watch your wind video with much interest and constantly search for the like on the net including mirage -Im going to seach for wind on snow shortly so as to see the visible action of the wind through valleys and hills- if you have any other links for good wind stuff please post .
    Regards

I was thinking of something very similar as there is little info on the net about how wind reacts in different terrain -I seached the forum only thias afternoon and found a wind post which wouldnt help to many .I have though about filming smoke bombs but dont know if one is able to purchase these still -I think plumbers once used them .
    In particular how wind reacts in in mountainous terrain as it runs over the top of the ridges and then as it goes to the valley floorsand follows the valley.
    I recently one an annual 1km contest that Harry Hoover son near Hamilton and the thistl down help me win -I dont think the others were watching the increase i wind which caused the down to fly - I did and I won.This would make an excellent post -one that would help most more than any other subject

R93
    Then there is mirage. This has done my head in more than any wind. I have had it throw me out 3MOA before at 700yrds. Fired three rounds in a wafting mirage on a river bed. Nice wee group 3 MOA below my POA. Couldnt work it out at the time as the group was tight. Had a revelation after checking everything 20 times and shot the same target with the same settings on dusk and they were in the guts.
    Next day same target I added 3 MOA to my soloution in similar mirage and went a couple of inches low. Again that same day took 3 MOA off at dusk and was back on.
    Last edited by R93; 25-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.

hey, I still have the video of me dialing in 1300 meters and getting a first round hit over that flat ground, only 1 other rifle got those 1300m plates, a 7mm wsm.

I was using a 5-25 scope on 14 power because of the mirage.
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    hey, I still have the video of me dialing in 1300 meters and getting a first round hit over that flat ground, only 1 other rifle got those 1300m plates, a 7mm wsm.

I was using a 5-25 scope on 14 power because of the mirage.
    I was on 16x during my fiasco. I am guessing but sure different standards of glass can be an issue?