Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 6x47
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By woods223
  • 1 Post By NZ32

Thread: Long range Hawkes Bay

Long range Hawkes Bay

Evening all, I met another forum member today who was saying there is somewhere to do a bit of long range shooting in the bay out to 1000 yards. Was wondering if anyone knows any more about this and could point me in the right direction? I'm pretty keen to have a crack and start learning to read wind etc. Also wondering if a 280ai is too big as he mentioned it may be limited as far as calibers and projectile size etc.

Interested to know if there is a local club also to meet some like minded people and learn some stuff!

You need to make contact with Les, the Secr of the HB Rifle Club. He's 027 316 0960.

The club shoots at three distances: 300, 600 and 1000, the latter at least once a month. Most shoots are on Sat afternoon but some on a Sun morning. Shooting is on electronic targets so you can see your hits on a screen right beside you. Most tablets and phones are fine.

As for gun size limits, a .280 AI is about the limit of ?5000 Joules and 3200MV. The big 7s and 30s would be out.
    NZ32 likes this.

Greetings All,
    Went out to the 1,000 yard shoot on that range with my son a couple of weeks back. Shooting is all prone and there are three classes. My son shoots FTR using a .308, bipod and rear bag. .308 and .223 are the calibres allowed in FTR. FO class allows any calibre up to about .30 and any cartridge up to the ME limit. .284 and 6.5 PRC and possibly others were in use. Some shot prone with a sling and .308. I had a look in my rifle cupboard and discovered I had suitable rifles so may give it a crack if I can persuade my aging body to bend in the right places.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Danny and Ruawai like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    Went out to the 1,000 yard shoot on that range with my son a couple of weeks back. Shooting is all prone and there are three classes. My son shoots FTR using a .308, bipod and rear bag. .308 and .223 are the calibres allowed in FTR. FO class allows any calibre up to about .30 and any cartridge up to the ME limit. .284 and 6.5 PRC and possibly others were in use. Some shot prone with a sling and .308. I had a look in my rifle cupboard and discovered I had suitable rifles so may give it a crack if I can persuade my aging body to bend in the right places.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Good info, so is there a class that one could shoot a 284 win prone with bipod and rear bag? And are muzzle brakes allowed?

F-PR rules copied from NRANZ Site.Muzzle Energy is set at what the range is certified to.
    POSITIVELY IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT
    NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION 0F NEW ZEALAND INC
    Seddon Rifle Range, cnr Messines Ave and Alexander Road
    Trentham, Upper Hutt, New Zealand
    PO Box 47-036, Trentham 5143
    Email: secretary@nranz.org.nz www.nranz.org.nz
    Phone +64 4 528 4843
    17 August 2020
    F-PR Rules
    A. Rifles shall not exceed a calibre of .308 inch
    B. Barrel length shall not exceed 715 mm (28.15 inches) measured from the bolt-face to the
    muzzle. Barrel length excludes the length of a suppressor if used.
    C. The rifle and ammunition combination used must be capable of maintaining projectiles
    velocities above the speed of sound from the firing point to the target.
    D. Rifle weight with bolt, bipod, suppressor, scope and magazine* (*if detachable) shall not
    exceed 9.6kgs.
    E. Any rifle scope may be employed
    F. The action and the stock shall possess a magazine cut-out
    G. Rifle can be fired from either a bipod or from a bag placed under the forestock.
    H. The width of the forestock shall not exceed 66mm (2.6 inches).
    I. Bipods must be of a commercial folding leg design (e.g. Harris, Atlas, Accu-Tac or other
    similar commercial design). Bipod spikes are permitted. Other forms of front rests, joy-stick
    style bipods (ie SEB joypod), and mechanical front rests are not permitted.
    J. A rear bag or rear mono pod may be used.
    K. Suppressors are allowed. Muzzle brakes are not permitted.
    L. Triggers are to comply with ICFRA rules F2.11, F2.12 & F2.13
    1. F2.11. Triggers will be manually operated: electronic, set or “release” triggers are not
    permitted.
    2. F2.12. The weight of the trigger pull is unregulated but must be safe and conform to
    the requirements of rule F2.13.
    3. F2.13. A trigger will be deemed “safe” if the sear engages on each occasion when the
    bolt is slowly and gently closed three times in succession with the barrel pointing
    upwards. Any failure will lead to the trigger being deemed “unsafe” and the rifle may
    not be used pending rectification.
    M. Ammo muzzle energy level shall conform with NRANZ range limits
    N. Use of Magazines. Some rifles may require the use of a magazine. Magazines may only be
    used as a loading platform. Ammunition is not to be fitted into the magazine for multiple
    round firing capabilities.
    O. Rifle: May be built around any manually loaded action designed to safely fire permitted
    cartridges.
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Good info, so is there a class that one could shoot a 284 win prone with bipod and rear bag? And are muzzle brakes allowed?
    Yep, you can shoot F-Open with .284. Some of the guys at the club have them. No muzzle breaks, suppressors allowed.
    GWH likes this.

The new/approved NRA shooting classes are rather confusing. Traditional F-TR now has two additional divisions, the one above being an example.

The HB Club is -probably- only going to run one of the three for reasons of simplicity and small numbers. Well that's my latest understanding.. In general terms, if you have a heavier .308 on a bipod that shoots well, you're probably competitive.

Muzzle brakes come down to club/range rules. some clubs will allow them.

Quote Originally Posted by blair993 View Post
    Muzzle brakes come down to club/range rules. some clubs will allow them.
    Neither of my clubs tolerate them. Ends up with only one person squaded on a multi target mound, due to blast.

Hi
    Some friends and I are looking for like minding members that are interested in Long range shooting and ELR in Hawkes Bay
    Does anyone already do this or have a area setup - Happy to contribute.
    7mmsaum we spoke once before - Are you still stretching your rifles out ?
    We are running 28 Nos, 338 Lapua, 375 Cheytac and a 50.

Look forward to replies or PM's .

Thanks