Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Look for a farm around auckland to do target shooting. happy to pay 200 per hour

If you get really stuck I could help you out in a small way, maybe one or 2 rifles not the whole safe in one sitting
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

For that sort of cash you could join the Tokoroa Shooting Sports Complex and do a day run down there when you need to. I take a day off work and take a number of rifles down there for the day sometimes. Nobody there on a week day so you have the whole range to yourself. You can sleep at the clubrooms so you could make it a two day shoot fest if you like.
    Kscott and 19Badger like this.

+1 for Tokoroa, it's a fab setup, concrete sighting in benches for 50m, 100m, 200m (next to the pistol silhouette range) plus covered 100m, 200m range with wooden benches, nice warm large club rooms and tons of parking. Worth the drive - I go there about once a month for the day, great fun !

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    +1 for Tokoroa, it's a fab setup, concrete sighting in benches for 50m, 100m, 200m (next to the pistol silhouette range) plus covered 100m, 200m range with wooden benches, nice warm large club rooms and tons of parking. Worth the drive - I go there about once a month for the day, great fun !
    Do they have a website? I've never heard of this place.
    Are they open 7 days a week and so they only go to 200m?

It's the Tokoroa Shooting Sports Complex, you need to be a member or shoot with a group that has access. Some weekends some ranges are booked out for certain clubs so expect a bit of give and take for range access. Yes it only goes to 200m, most of the range is geared for competition shooting but there's 2 x concrete benches for sighting in just past the pistol silhouette range, which gets a 1st come 1st served basis.

The web says :
    Postal Address P O Box 468
    Tokoroa
    Main Contact Title
    Phone (Day) Sandy Curreen
    Phone (Evening) 07 8837802

I don't know how up to date that is though, I shoot with a club which books one of the ranges each month.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Krameranzac View Post
    For that sort of cash you could join the Tokoroa Shooting Sports Complex and do a day run down there when you need to. I take a day off work and take a number of rifles down there for the day sometimes. Nobody there on a week day so you have the whole range to yourself. You can sleep at the clubrooms so you could make it a two day shoot fest if you like.
    +1 Fantastic set up.

PM sent. I might have just saved you a packet haha.

Replying 12 years later, but is this still an option for newbies like me with only an Air Rifle?

I Will Take note of this if i find a Kind Farmer who would let me some fun target shooting on their land and some food

With the current status of clubs & ranges regulations in place, you cannot ‘target shoot’ on an unauthorised private shooting area, without it having certification as a range. However, you can do ‘sighting in’. So be careful with the wording of your enquires, and the explanation of your activities, and you will be fine once you’ve found your location.

That being said, the clubs & ranges regulations may not be a thing for much longer, all going well.

Funny how its in the wording. Sighting in? What are you sighting in on...targets, so your shooting at targets, which is basically target shooting. Where I go I just shoot in a different place each time as my interpretation (which my possibly be totally wrong) would be a range would be in a fixed place to be designated a range. I shoot in a paddock not a range.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Funny how its in the wording. Sighting in? What are you sighting in on...targets, so your shooting at targets, which is basically target shooting. Where I go I just shoot in a different place each time as my interpretation (which my possibly be totally wrong) would be a range would be in a fixed place to be designated a range. I shoot in a paddock not a range.
    Should be a rule that it the grass is taller than ankle height it's not a range.
    Theres no way I'd pay to use a range that had the same shooting conditions/obstacles as found in the paddocks I use.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Yes, it is odd but that’s how the legislation works. Sighting in means shooting at a target, as long as you fiddle with your sights occasionaly you’re adhering to the letter of the law.
    Unfortunately your interpretation of moving around doesn’t negate you being on an unauthorised ‘range’ if the authorities suspect you’re target shooting, instead of hunting or sighting in. Their definition of a range is anywhere that shooting activities are conducted. The FSA stamped out the interpretation of ‘primary use’ as a farm paddock.
    I don’t want to sound like a stickler for rules, (I think it’s all nonsense and can’t wait to see it all repealed) but I’d hate to see any of the fine folk on this forum get stung by the authorities through misunderstanding the rules.
    Corn Beeph likes this.

Not trying to start a fight or any thing but what would be the requirements it has to have to be conclusively considered a range?
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Banned
    Permanantly fixed target stands would be the main criteria , I think.
    Corn Beeph likes this.