Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Which model of the 10 /22 ?

Yeah I did miss that bit @gadgetman, thats why it came with the caveat of if it was one gun. I wasnt actually slinging off at you, i really have had a guy tell me he shot 1200 rabbits ( on the west coast ? ) of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Yeah I did miss that bit @gadgetman, thats why it came with the caveat of if it was one gun. I wasnt actually slinging off at you, i really have had a guy tell me he shot 1200 rabbits ( on the west coast ? ) of all places.
    The good thing is that farm on a good night will now produce about 20 rabbits/hares and we cover a huge amount of ground to get that number. Finding that with the numbers down we often can't get close enough for the 22lr so now use a 223 more.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Back to the OP, I had the T model, awesome accuracy usually 1/2 inch at 50M, with win subs. Great trigger, but very forward heavy to shoot standing and not so flash as an all day carry gun.
    Sold it in a moment of silly, never got around to threading it and that may have altered their accuracy too.
    viper and csmiffy like this.

Back to the OP, I had the T model, awesome accuracy usually 1/2 inch at 50M, with win subs. Great trigger, but very forward heavy to shoot standing and not so flash as an all day carry gun.
    I remember them coming out not long after I got mine. I wasn't happy as I would've stumped up the extra cash for one.
    johnd likes this.

1000 rabbits plus a night
    If that is one gun ( shooter ) I always struggle with these claims.

Recently i had a guy that was trying to impress me, "oh yeah, best night I had was 1200 "

I did the math

10 hrs shooting lets say from 7 pm to 5 am (thats 10 hrs with NO breaks)
    1200 rabbits so...... lets see 1200 divided by 10 equals 120 (
    Thats 120 rabbits per hour Lets divide that hr into minutes

120 rabbits divided by 60 (mins) equals 2

Thats 2 rabbits a minute which equals 1 rabbit every 30 seconds. all night long.

Stop to reload you loose 1 minute, stop to open a gate / have a piss, get something to eat, change the battery on your light.

Yep I get it, that you can also shoot 10 rabbits in 20 seconds.

My best night back in the day was about 130. Anything over that sort of figure should have gotten poisoned.
    That included smoko. driving to the block and home, 6 hrs was a 8 hr day equivalent.
    Mostly all shot with a shotgun as you could line up 2.
    Yep that would be a marathon night alright ,my best night on my own was 364 Rabbits, was sick of the bloody things after night ( only until the next night then it was back to the grind stone)
    Even with the numbers I got you would spend over an hour in one paddock and shoot 60-70 rabbits before moving onto the next one.
    johnd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    If you take three shots to kill a Rabbit I suggest you may not be in the right game
    I agree with this when shooting rabbits. In my case I shoot mainly hares and then have a totally different perspective. I grow a lot of trees. I know a guy who lost 500 trees in one night to hares. At a planted cost of at least $2 each I say each living hare could cost me $1000/night, double that if you take into account replacement cost. So when I shoot hares (which are harder to kill than rabbits anyway) I pull the trigger three times each time I take a shot. If I hit it 3 times, fine with me. If I miss it twice, maybe I will hit it with the third. I use open sights as I've found rifles have a hard time in farm life and the scope was always getting knocked and next time I fired at anything I'd miss. Also I like the additional peripheral vision factor. I've been shooting with people with scopes and my 3 shoot rule means I am often hitting a lot more than they are with their more accurate scoped rifles. At a potential cost of thousands of dollars of damage a night the additional few cents for extra 22lr rounds is a very good investment.

This is my 10/22 which I've had for over 30 years. It's had a hard time but the only problem I've had was with the 10 round rotary mag sticking, and not chambering the next round. I grabbed a BX-15 mag as soon as they were available and since then it feeds perfectly.

The only non-standard thing on the rifle (apart from the bx-15) is the rear sight. The standard iron rear sight got broken off and I made a 10 minute patch up sight to keep it operational until I replaced them. I actually really like the ghost-ring effect sight. I kept it like this for a few years, then put a scope on, had endless problems, and went back to this diy aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    I agree with this when shooting rabbits. In my case I shoot mainly hares and then have a totally different perspective. I grow a lot of trees. I know a guy who lost 500 trees in one night to hares. At a planted cost of at least $2 each I say each living hare could cost me $1000/night, double that if you take into account replacement cost. So when I shoot hares (which are harder to kill than rabbits anyway) I pull the trigger three times each time I take a shot. If I hit it 3 times, fine with me. If I miss it twice, maybe I will hit it with the third. I use open sights as I've found rifles have a hard time in farm life and the scope was always getting knocked and next time I fired at anything I'd miss. Also I like the additional peripheral vision factor. I've been shooting with people with scopes and my 3 shoot rule means I am often hitting a lot more than they are with their more accurate scoped rifles. At a potential cost of thousands of dollars of damage a night the additional few cents for extra 22lr rounds is a very good investment.

This is my 10/22 which I've had for over 30 years. It's had a hard time but the only problem I've had was with the 10 round rotary mag sticking, and not chambering the next round. I grabbed a BX-15 mag as soon as they were available and since then it feeds perfectly.

The only non-standard thing on the rifle (apart from the bx-15) is the rear sight. The standard iron rear sight got broken off and I made a 10 minute patch up sight to keep it operational until I replaced them. I actually really like the ghost-ring effect sight. I kept it like this for a few years, then put a scope on, had endless problems, and went back to this diy aperture.
    Good shit. have you tried washing the mag out? The wax/lube on the 22 along with a bit of powder fouling can gum them up.
    Bit odd about the scopes. My good mate who shot heaps of rabbits used to do a lot bouncing around on the bonnet/roof of a landrover. Even had a chain fitted between the stock and mag so you didn't drop it. Never had issues. Possibly get one of those cheap polymer recoil pins and try again.
    A good scope doctor in CHCH reckoned they can be hard on scopes with the original one. Maybe it wasn't you or the scope but if you like how it works now why bother.
    Where are you, I could come over and help shoot some of the pesky varmints for you lol?

1000 rabbits plus a night
    If that is one gun ( shooter ) I always struggle with these claims.

Recently i had a guy that was trying to impress me, "oh yeah, best night I had was 1200 "

I did the math

10 hrs shooting lets say from 7 pm to 5 am (thats 10 hrs with NO breaks)
    1200 rabbits so...... lets see 1200 divided by 10 equals 120 (
    Thats 120 rabbits per hour Lets divide that hr into minutes

120 rabbits divided by 60 (mins) equals 2

Thats 2 rabbits a minute which equals 1 rabbit every 30 seconds. all night long.

Stop to reload you loose 1 minute, stop to open a gate / have a piss, get something to eat, change the battery on your light.

Yep I get it, that you can also shoot 10 rabbits in 20 seconds.

My best night back in the day was about 130. Anything over that sort of figure should have gotten poisoned.
    That included smoko. driving to the block and home, 6 hrs was a 8 hr day equivalent.
    Mostly all shot with a shotgun as you could line up 2.
    the best night I can remember doing was with K.O. we shot and recovered 450+ for a brick of power point . we got into the groove and driver had a spot on windscreen where he would stop with bunny in or near it...eg mid point on wiper blade....shooter would be lined up out window and fire,we drove the 10-30 yards opened door and threw onto back and kept going,had spotlight on T bar through roof shooter found rabbit then got on rifle and driver took over....very very efficent system. we would stop and gut when had 15-20 on back. the best the guys doing search n destroy were getting was 1200ish for a night. Ive shotgunned skinned n gutted and packed out 50 for afternoon...pack was bulging and they getting plurry heavy by then.

I think you may have overlooked the trusty stirling bolt action .22. It can shoot the wings off a flys back at 50metres. I average a bucket of bullets annualy.This rifle lives on the gun rack on my quad in all weather.
    Name:  picture 01 1353.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  164.4 KB
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    I think you may have overlooked the trusty stirling bolt action .22. It can shoot the wings off a flys back at 50metres. I average a bucket of bullets annualy.This rifle lives on the gun rack on my quad in all weather.
    Attachment 92451
    it was the first 22 i ever had, it was a good rifle considering its price. i even still have the manual.
    Dundee likes this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Older 10/22 tend to have all metal parts, all cast. modern 10/22 has more polymer parts. I am not sure about the drop in accuracy, but generally sentiment has been that modern polymer parts are has better tolerance, Kidd trigger kit is said to only work with polymer trigger group.

To answer the question of the thread, this is what I would do:
    Either - buy a full Kidd, second hand is tight on budget, brand new if feeling like to be indulged.
    Or - buy a old secondhand 10/22, sell the trigger group, barrel and stock. Buy a Kidd trigger, a Kidd or a Whistle-pig barrel, a stock of your liking.

None of the fancier factory models are that good.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    it was the first 22 i ever had, it was a good rifle considering its price. i even still have the manual.
    Still have my stirling. great little gun. Redid the stock years ago and made it a little more ergonomic on the wrist just in front of the comb.
    Always considered shortening it a little back to 16" for when it has a silencer, but don't want to in case it doesn't shoot as good lol.

Thanks for the input guys, the response has been amazing with all but a couple of posts very helpful and made for some interesting reading.
    I purchased a gun over the weekend in a bout of frustration over not being able to find what I really wanted.

I may regret the purchase but time will tell. Just to throw a spanner in the works despite the heading of the tread on which 10 /22 to buy I brought a new Savage A22 LR.
    Reviews look very good. Receiver and barrel are screwed in rather than pinned, has accutrigger , good sized plastic stock set up for optics and weaver base's via factory.

I haven't had a good run out of Savage to date so this is a bit out there from past experiences.
    Initial impressions are mixed.
    Stock nice shape but cheap,rifle is light .
    Mag is a rotary mag like the 10 / 22 , shit to load but it's new to me after nothing but box mags and I should adapt.
    Trigger is pretty average but consistent.
    Barrel for some reason has been cut from 20 inch's to 15 !!!!, discovered this when I got home so we will see how it shoots over the weekend. Seems strange on a brand new gun ?

I will give a test report further down the line once it's sighted in and has some rounds under it's belt.Name:  A22-First.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  89.7 KB
    gadgetman, rossi.45 and Fawls like this.

Be very interested to find out how it performs over time.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

The 15" barrel wont hurt it at all. as long as its mechanically reliable and accurate it will be fine.
    If I was buying a 17hmr these would be on the shortlist especially for a semi.