Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Which model of the 10 /22 ?

Which model of the 10 /22 ?

So after two blistering nights spotlighting my thump is looking raw and sore from constantly reloading a 5 round mag in my JW15. Also being a leftie I am getting sick of reaching around the spotlight and cranking the bolt.
    I am thinking seriously about going down the Ruger 10 / 22 track .
    I had a mate who had one and it was a total piece of shit and it;s put me off them for over 30 yrs.

I know they all share the same action but stocks and barrels vary, is there a certain model that seems to perform accuracy wise better than other versions.
    The basic barrel band type never floated my boat but they maybe ok.

Feel free to jump in and let me know your thoughts.

And yes the Marlin 795 is also on the list and any other suggestions on Make and models will be taken on board.

i have 2, a stainless with a hogue stock and an older blued one with a drag stock. both shoot very good with cci ammo but they dont like powerpoint or the (horrid, filthy) remington ammo
    viper likes this.

Father in law has a 50th anniversary blue/wood one without the barrel band that's a real shooter
    viper likes this.

just remember to get a trigger job on it, 10/22 factory triggers are awful.

Remember which side the spent casings get ejected from. Not really an issue for a righty.

I flicked off my 10/22 after spending way too much on trying to get it to shoot well. 2" groups at 50 was as good as it could do without dropping serious cash on a better barrel (note - the Guncity carbon tension barrels were worse than the factory sporter barrel). Had the trigger changed to a VQ one which made a massive difference over stock.

Got myself a CZ455 and was punching 1/2" groups at 50m from day 1. Would never look at a 10/22 again unless it was a Kidd one, which to be honest has no ruger parts in it.
    Reaching over to cycle the bolt might be a pain, but at least you will be able to hit what you are aiming at.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    So after two blistering nights spotlighting my thump is looking raw and sore from constantly reloading a 5 round mag in my JW15. Also being a leftie I am getting sick of reaching around the spotlight and cranking the bolt.
    I am thinking seriously about going down the Ruger 10 / 22 track .
    I had a mate who had one and it was a total piece of shit and it;s put me off them for over 30 yrs.

I know they all share the same action but stocks and barrels vary, is there a certain model that seems to perform accuracy wise better than other versions.
    The basic barrel band type never floated my boat but they maybe ok.

Feel free to jump in and let me know your thoughts.

And yes the Marlin 795 is also on the list and any other suggestions on Make and models will be taken on board.
    I have a marlin 795. It seems to run without problems. The trigger was a bit heavy to begin with, but lightened up after some use.
    gadgetman, Wollywog, Tommy and 1 others like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Ive had 2, still got one it shoots 1 inch at 50 m with winchester pp. In an ati stock with barrel mounted pencil spotlight its a good night time wabbit wifle. However I prefer my unique as a semi during the day, or the sportco 62 that ive got 2 10 round mags for. Having had trigger work the ruger is still pretty agriciltural same as the unique to be honest but it suits me ok, and the amount of aftermarket bits for these things is truly eye watering along with their price
    viper likes this.

I prefer my Unique as well but the work load / volume down here is too high. The Unique is to rare and valuable to get knocked around and it deserves better.
    I just need a work horse.

northdude
    Marlins have a good rep had a 10/22 it wasnt very accurate had a reminton 597 it was a pain to get running properly but way more accurate than the ruger then had a stirling it was accurate as fuk with whatever ammo you fed it one i should of kept now got one of those bullpup walthers im a lefty so you can swap parts over to make it left handed and made a stiffer trigger bar for it and that thing although a bit funny looking is a tack driver
    viper likes this.

Name:  ruger 001.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  749.3 KB
    viper likes this.

I've had two of them, stock standard blued wooded one which was a great little shooter.

Now I have a stainless 50th Anniversary model. One of those Burris 3-9 Droptine scopes, hardy can and a Timney trigger I got off here second hand. Great little package.

Accurate little rifle and you don't have to worry as much about the elements with it being stainless. I have thought about getting one of the AR model .22's but for me the 10/22 is accurate, reliable and there are loads of parts options so no need to change.

I find CCI ammo works best. Maybe the Ruger 10/22 are like the Mini 14 etc - used to be inaccurate 30 years ago, now not so much.

Name:  20180217_223203.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  4.78 MB
    viper and North guy like this.

Name:  10-22 ..JPG
Views: 615
Size:  43.5 KB

It started life as a 50th anniversary 10/22
    Steve123, viper and Square22 like this.

I bought my one years ago on the advice from a couple of people who shot them heaps in the late 70's- 80's.. The 10 shot mag is as reliable as (usually), and I have found it as accurate as reports would've indicated back then. As good as anything else for the money although it sounds like quality has dropped of markedly. I'd never sell it unless it shit out somehow. Maybe that hints at an older one?
    Back in those days the parts weren't available but after getting the hint from Richard Wilhelm after talking about how they could wreck scopes, I took out the hard recoil pin and turned up my own nylon buffer. That was a PITA. Buy them cheap as chips now.
    I may have played with the recoil spring to get it to cycle subs, but I could be getting that confused with my uncles 22 (not a ruger).

2.5 turns off the recoil spring is about right for good cycling of subs, fit a polymer pin and do away with the factory dovetail base and fit a weaver type

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    2.5 turns off the recoil spring is about right for good cycling of subs, fit a polymer pin and do away with the factory dovetail base and fit a weaver type
    One better-control rings and base. Good deal at the time with my scope-never moved a millimetre and look good even with the skinny barrel and shit cheap ass stock lol