Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: muzzle brake vs suppressor for 7.62x39

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post

Fun fact: back in the day before the buyback a bunch of SKKs got imported in to Australia before people started figuring out they could convert them to fully automatic extremely easily. Imporation was quicky banned but safe to say not many of them got turned in during the buyback.
    Yeah I've heard that too. Question is though, did they convert them to true automatic (ie a safe reliable firearm), or did they induce a slamfire-type malfunction (ie a dangerous accident waiting to happen)? From what I heard those rifles were more dangerous to the operator than to any potential targets, but maybe that was propaganda from the law. Not something I will ever try anyway.

Thanks for the replies everyone, is the Waitaki the suppressor to go for then? Not an unlimited budget unfortunately. Just to be clear, I'll be using ear protection every time I shoot no matter what I do (occupational deafness already), this question is for the sake of others, and not wanting to sound like WW3 is starting up in the hills.

Just to get a sense of what your rifle sounds like from a distance, is there anybody you could ask to listen or record at the edge of your property, or from where other people live?

northdude
    Ive got a mae on my ar they are heavy but thats because of the materials so should last better than a light weight one with strings fired through it im going to try a waitaki on partners ar as it looks like a good one that will handle high rates of fire

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post
    Rolling with a suppressor rarely has more downsides than upsides.

Fun fact: back in the day before the buyback a bunch of SKKs got imported in to Australia before people started figuring out they could convert them to fully automatic extremely easily. Imporation was quicky banned but safe to say not many of them got turned in during the buyback.
    yeah strange that. They always prattled on when I was there on how fucking amazing their gun laws were, but I also heard of bucket loads that went underground, were sold to others that didn't regard the new laws as important etc.
    funnily enough I had an acquaintance years ago that worked out how to do exactly what you suggested. loads of fun but I can see why the military go through so much ammo to shoot someone

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    yeah strange that. They always prattled on when I was there on how fucking amazing their gun laws were
    Amazing good or amazing bad? I lived there pre-ban and in those days it was wild west all the way in some areas. My in-laws new farm on the NSW Central Tablelands is the kind of place you really need an SKK, my father-in-law is too old to watch all his crops getting wrecked while he is limited to a bolt action .223 to control pests.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Amazing good or amazing bad? I lived there pre-ban and in those days it was wild west all the way in some areas. My in-laws new farm on the NSW Central Tablelands is the kind of place you really need an SKK, my father-in-law is too old to watch all his crops getting wrecked while he is limited to a bolt action .223 to control pests.
    The authorities and media say how amazingly good they are.
    NZ didn't do what they did and we are even allowed silencers.
    The sky didn't fall, mass shootings didn't keep happening and assassinations didn't multiply.
    It was a knee jerk reaction to go as hard as they could while the port Arthur tragedy was still raw. While they may have required to have some better regulation, it was a few steps too far and some of the muppetry ideas are making their way into our police hierarchy.

the wee Waitaki muzzle forward suppressors for this cartridge look to be just the ducks nuts.....as a bonus using suppressor you MIGHT well get off a couple or four shots BEFORE goats work out where you are shooting from...now if you get all flash and use a subsonic round first up they definately wont know where you are...piece of piss to load them up. mightnt cycle the semi but for a single goat would be ideal as the others around the corner wont hear a thing.