Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Odd, unexpected and interesting things you have seen out hunting

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    This one was not out hunting but only because we had other plans that day. We had ben hunting there before....

Many years ago in about the early 90s (More than I car to count) we were riding our trail bikes up fire breaks and generally having fun. we got to a steep dead end fire break (We knew the area pretty well) and knew it was a bit more challenging toward the top were the skid site was and a good spot to stop for a leg stretch. About 1/2 way up the break we got to a group from the local 4wd club. they were having a great time. Winches were out, ropes and chains were tied to trees and land anchors and they were generally enjoying tying to get stuck and unstuck as they climbed this dead end track. We zipped past (as you do one trailies) and got to the top for our breather. And there was a sight to greet us that will stay with us for ever.......There was a local pig hunter just getting back to his vehicle with his dog and a pig. He was loading it into the back of his vehicle and was about to head back down the track to head home. It was his vehicle that caused the laughter. And to this day I wish I could have seen the faces of the 4wd club as he passed by on the way down. He ad to go pas them the way he had come in as it was (as mentioned) a one way deal. There he was departing in his 20+ year old HILLMAN HUNTER sedan as he toodled off home happy with his morning.......

These guys were driving "proper 4wds" and here was a HILLMAN HUNTER having "been there, done that"......

For those too young to remember them ( probably anyone under 35?) this is what they looked like...
    Attachment 110068Attachment 110069
    I once had a drag race against a work colleague in his Hillman Hunter. It had a 1700cc motor, extractors and twin-throat webber carbs so was pretty fast. He was convinced he couldn't be beaten. I took him on in my ol' mans brand new 1985 Honda Accord which was a stock standard 1600cc. It was neck and neck for the first bit but I beat him in the last few hundred meters down Boundary Road in Papakura. The race was stopped by the need to brake for the S-bends before we hit the railway lines. We started on the straight at the gorge end heading towards town. No idea what speed we were doing when we got to the point of braking... i was just holding on for all I was worth. I think having 5th gear made the difference... the Hunter would have been screaming.

But I digress... back to Hunting stories.

Waiting for some ducks tonight and blow me down, a white swan comes swimming cooly down the creek past me and snuggles up to one of my goose decoys. Did'nt shoot it of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Waiting for some ducks tonight and blow me down, a white swan comes swimming cooly down the creek past me and snuggles up to one of my goose decoys. Did'nt shoot it of course.
    Well you cant once it is on the water beside the goose decoy.....

I saw it ladt year also. Has a tiny black feather on left cheek and the bill is pale yellow,not red. Might be an albino swan. There is also an old hen swan that nests every year in our swamp. Sometimes we see her flying with one other. Have never tried to shoot her or her mate. Just regard them ad resident old friends
    timattalon likes this.

And the buggers just kept on going

Was once out hunting goats with a mate whose a careful but not so confident shot.
    He was lying down shooting off a bipod laying into some goats 10 or 20 m away, when a nanny popped up onto the road just in front of him.
    He looked at the goat and the goat looked at him and it made a run for it towards us - jumped right over the top of my mate !
    He was lucky to escape with his virtue intact .

Was out with one guy and he was telling me of what happened last time. He had his rifle all set braced on a log and about to shoot at a pig some 200m away in a clearing. Just as he fires the scope goes completely black and after the shot the pig is still standing there. He reloads and drops the pig as though it had not heard the first shot. He stands up and looks down at the rifle and about a foot in front of the muzzle is a black goat in pieces strewn about in front of him. It appears that just as he was about to take the shot, a black goat that had been lying asleep in front of the log decided to stand up and check out the clicking noises on the other side of the log. .......My mate guesses that the reason the pig was not startled was because the goat took the whole force, muzzle blast and all much like sticking a pillow over the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Was out with one guy and he was telling me of what happened last time. He had his rifle all set braced on a log and about to shoot at a pig some 200m away in a clearing. Just as he fires the scope goes completely black and after the shot the pig is still standing there. He reloads and drops the pig as though it had not heard the first shot. He stands up and looks down at the rifle and about a foot in front of the muzzle is a black goat in pieces strewn about in front of him. It appears that just as he was about to take the shot, a black goat that had been lying asleep in front of the log decided to stand up and check out the clicking noises on the other side of the log. .......My mate guesses that the reason the pig was not startled was because the goat took the whole force, muzzle blast and all much like sticking a pillow over the muzzle.
    haha goats are the unwitting butt of so many hunting jokes

One of my mates used to put AC/DC on his shitty old boom box while out hunting. I though he was joking but No S*** they would come to have a look (much to their loss).

Walked up on to a flat and then around a hill into some bush. Crashing through thick forest bush and come across a small 2m squared area fenced off with that green plastic netting stuff, a bucket and a watering can. This place is handful of km's away from anywhere.

used batteries and drink cans everywhere. It ticks me off to find plastic bottles and drink cans in the bush. leave no trace fools!

crayfish in puddles in a couple of locations.

an old abandoned broken swing bridges down in the river at cross creek.

A single thick wire rope coming down about 5m from an escarpment and buried under the riverbed below it.

feral cats crossing river beds.

large feral sheep mob on DoC land (not in the places generally known about).

suicide possum teams screaming and charging at my tent just after dark.

Sat down in thick trees on a goat track talking to my friend a few feet below me as he's following a blood trail of a goat we think he clipped only to look to my right and see the goat in question sat calmy 5 feet away watching me. He casually got up and turned his back on me when I turned to notice him and walked off with an air of arrogance. This old goat was cooler than the fonze.

All of this stuff may be pretty standard but I've only been hunting for a year.

Yet to see:
    abandoned undercrackers
    fabled Swedish tourists washing clothes in a river.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    haha goats are the unwitting butt of so many hunting jokes

One of my mates used to put AC/DC on his shitty old boom box while out hunting. I though he was joking but No S*** they would come to have a look (much to their loss).
    Well there's something to try