Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Pig eradication from chopper video

I need to send this video to my father-in-law. Old boy in his late 70's, shot over 600 pigs in a single season in the big drought a few years back with his b/a .223 on his dead flat NSW Tablelands farm, meaning he had to stalk them all for hours before getting off the shot. He had lots of other work he woul dprefer ot be doing but the pigs destroyed every crop he'd put in and were moving on to eating the newborn calves.
    Micky Duck likes this.

picked up a buckshot empty cartridge recently..fiochi brand blue plastic...it had the specs on it and it definately wasnt 00buck..THINK it said 17ball or something similar...we used to get a 32ball 20calibre buckshot load in Timaru...havent seen it in years,was deadly on wallabies,didnt improve on std #BBs all the same.I imagine it would be devastating used from a machine,enough penetration and a filled out pattern.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    The guys I knock about with are heli shooting insane numbers of reds in the CNI. They’ve ditched the ARs because the rifles get too hot and jam, so they use the Benelli semi-autos with 12ga buckshot. Similar to Brad’s video above. Plus the 12ga through the back of the head / neck / spine between the shoulders is a more reliable DRT than the .223 REM, so there’s a lot less time circling back to finish off wounded deer. The circling back is the killer on fuel / time / money.

If I told you the numbers shot per hour flown, you wouldn’t believe me.

They use a MD500, so they can carry two shooters and the farkin’ ridiculous great big box of 12ga shells which weighs a bloody tonne. An R22 isn’t efficient.

In Aus when we were working on the Station in NT, the guys were flying the R22s chasing camels, donkeys, pigs and scrub bulls. The pilots were looneys and I don’t know how the fuck the shooters could handle the stunt flying between the tall eucalypts. I know I couldn’t!
    Where we used to shoot, my cousin was stock manager. He was helping gut on the drop area when the WARP guys were brought in, out of 100 deer for the day, only one wasn’t neck or head shot using buck shot. I didn’t realise how effective it was, always thought it sprayed everywhere.

it does spray everywhere.....but it does so over range..something like an inch of spread per yard of range..so at 24 yards its a 2 foot wide pattern with X number of balls/pellets inside that 2 foot circle..different loads will be better or worse spread wise.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

You just chuck a tight choke on the gun and away you go

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    picked up a buckshot empty cartridge recently..fiochi brand blue plastic...it had the specs on it and it definately wasnt 00buck..THINK it said 17ball or something similar...we used to get a 32ball 20calibre buckshot load in Timaru...havent seen it in years,was deadly on wallabies,didnt improve on std #BBs all the same.I imagine it would be devastating used from a machine,enough penetration and a filled out pattern.
    Yeah fiocchi have #4 buckshot here in NZ that has 27 pellets.
    Falcon also bring out a very economical round which I believe is #4 buckshot, it has 19 balls from memory. We use it a bit on goats to good effect.
    Micky Duck likes this.