Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Pistol shooters

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    I had a squib load in the early days, the second shot in a double tap went up the date of the stuck projectile and bulged the barrel just enough to jamb the slide bushing at the swelling. Both projectiles then left the barrel. I had the bulge turned down and kept that barrel as a spare. If it had been a nine mil or a 38 stupor, it would probably have written off the frame and injured me or the RO.
    Had a squib in a Glock 26 do exactly the same.... Just a bulge in the barrel. In South Africa the number on the slide, frame and barrel make up the license. Rather than wait 9 - 12 months for a new license, I just got the importer to get a new barrel with the same serial number in from Austria - problem solved

I used a G22 in Standard, Rescomp holster and pouches. Had aftermarket sights, as well as a magwell and Pachmyer grip sleeve, +2 shoes on all the mags - it fit into the box if you squeezed in is sideways, hehe.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Enjoying this thread, I forgotten most of my pistol shooting days with my Dan Wesson .357. Was in Taupo the other weekend on the range but didn't venture into the pistol club that was happening next door, maybe next time
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

STI 2011 in 38 super. Open class, Major power factor (175-180 as the gun reacts faster) fitted with a C-More sight.
    Robbie Donaldson built it for me.
    Its had a lot of parts replaced over the years but after 20 years and about 200k rounds at 175 to 180 power factor that's to be expected.
    STI / SVI are the most reliable, strongest pistols around especially when put together by a gunsmith who knows what they are doing.

Speed shooters belt, mag holders and holster. STI / SVI magazines 23 rounder's to 28-29 rounder's. You will need 4 mags min.
    Holster, mag holders and holster. About $1000, maybe more.
    Magazines $150-300 each depending on capacity and location purchased.
    Use to get all my gear from here.
    http://www.speedshooter.com/

Pistol.
    Second hand around $3200 depending on what its got in it.
    New, $5000 and up.
    Find yourself a friendly gunsmith as you can get a new one built for under $5K

If you are new getting into it, keep your eye out for second hand gear. A lot of guys sink $5k plus on a pistol them give up shooting and sell for $3k.
    Unlike rifles (in particular their barrels), good quality pistols will last ALOT of rounds.
    mikee and Uplandstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Currently looking at some of the Tanfoglio range, the Stock 3 seems nice(the Limited Custom even better). Cost a little more(around $2200 with 5 mags) than the Shadow, and a heap more than the Glock. They do appear pretty nice, but need to find someone with one to try, otherwise the shadow could be a good option. The CZ Tactical Sport looks nice, but again would want to put some rounds through one first, and same price as the Stock 3.

Have fired a few Springfield XD's and they didn't feel quite right, the same with S&W M&P's - these while all in 40S&W. Even the H&K USP I've used was nice, but not nice enough to buy. Yet to use a Glock and not holding my breath that it's the right answer, maybe a starter though due to price.

If 1911, the Witness or Para seem to be the right direction.

Weather it is rifle, shotgun or pistol, you need to feed them something. On going costs are just a part of most sports(particularly shooting sports). I did shoot clay's every weekend for a few years and the feeding cost are not to much different. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm getting myself into(the wife might to be quite sure yet).

Thanks all for the info so far.
    out of the tanfoglio range id have a stock 3 the one that is brought in isnt actually a standard stock 3 anyway its the stock 3 special that was made to order by someone i shoot with and tanfoglio adopted it as the stock 3 special pretty cool eh?

also the tanfoglio 1911 is awesome value and run awesome (next on my list )

and fyi ive shot the cz and the tanfoglio and id own the stock 3 all day long machining quality is far far better

Quote Originally Posted by jakesae101 View Post
    out of the tanfoglio range id have a stock 3 the one that is brought in isnt actually a standard stock 3 anyway its the stock 3 special that was made to order by someone i shoot with and tanfoglio adopted it as the stock 3 special pretty cool eh?

also the tanfoglio 1911 is awesome value and run awesome (next on my list )

and fyi ive shot the cz and the tanfoglio and id own the stock 3 all day long machining quality is far far better
    The Stock 3 Special is what hayes bring in and look pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Had a squib in a Glock 26 do exactly the same.... Just a bulge in the barrel. In South Africa the number on the slide, frame and barrel make up the license. Rather than wait 9 - 12 months for a new license, I just got the importer to get a new barrel with the same serial number in from Austria - problem solved

I used a G22 in Standard, Rescomp holster and pouches. Had aftermarket sights, as well as a magwell and Pachmyer grip sleeve, +2 shoes on all the mags - it fit into the box if you squeezed in is sideways, hehe.
    How common does this happen, the Squib load?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    STI 2011 in 38 super. Open class, Major power factor (175-180 as the gun reacts faster) fitted with a C-More sight.
    Robbie Donaldson built it for me.
    Its had a lot of parts replaced over the years but after 20 years and about 200k rounds at 175 to 180 power factor that's to be expected.
    STI / SVI are the most reliable, strongest pistols around especially when put together by a gunsmith who knows what they are doing.

Speed shooters belt, mag holders and holster. STI / SVI magazines 23 rounder's to 28-29 rounder's. You will need 4 mags min.
    Holster, mag holders and holster. About $1000, maybe more.
    Magazines $150-300 each depending on capacity and location purchased.
    Use to get all my gear from here.
    http://www.speedshooter.com/

Pistol.
    Second hand around $3200 depending on what its got in it.
    New, $5000 and up.
    Find yourself a friendly gunsmith as you can get a new one built for under $5K

If you are new getting into it, keep your eye out for second hand gear. A lot of guys sink $5k plus on a pistol them give up shooting and sell for $3k.
    Unlike rifles (in particular their barrels), good quality pistols will last ALOT of rounds.
    The STI's seem to be the higher end for race guns. Price is certainly higher, but every thing I've heard has been positive. Maybe in the future after a couple of years in the game. Definitely not rusting out to get one first up.

I've looked at purchasing a standard pistol that I could upgrade to open at lower costs than purchasing a race gun outright. It looks like this would certainly be the right direction, especially if the original gun is nice and reliable and feels good to shoot.

The STI's seem to be the higher end for race guns. Price is certainly higher, but every thing I've heard has been positive. Maybe in the future after a couple of years in the game. Definitely not rusting out to get one first up.

I've looked at purchasing a standard pistol that I could upgrade to open at lower costs than purchasing a race gun outright. It looks like this would certainly be the right direction, especially if the original gun is nice and reliable and feels good to shoot.
    Unfortunately a good quality 1911 Std Pistol in 40S&W does not make a good base for an open gun (I looked into this) Mag capacity is less for a start
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Unfortunately a good quality 1911 Std Pistol in 40S&W does not make a good base for an open gun (I looked into this) Mag capacity is less for a start
    I'm sure a double stack 40 could work. Maybe Para double, add and comp and dot.

What I've considered a Tanfoglio Limited in 40S&W or 38Super. Or a CZ Tactical Sport, with the same mods. But this would be something to look at more down the track a bit.

Def the best approach. Chances are though that if you're wanting to upgrade, you'll be wanting to upgrade to something specific rather than replacing bits and pieces - just like rifle shooting - and that way you'll end up with the right tool for the job IMO.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    I think it's a risk with home-loads and is equipment or process related. I never had it happen again, after switching to a Dillon 650 press from my old Lee turret. I would guess that I short-charged it, either through spillage or not a full throw of the powder tosser handle. Can't really go wrong with the Dillon.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    I think it's a risk with home-loads and is equipment or process related. I never had it happen again, after switching to a Dillon 650 press from my old Lee turret. I would guess that I short-charged it, either through spillage or not a full throw of the powder tosser handle. Can't really go wrong with the Dillon.
    I guess a powder check die with buzzer would be a good prevention measure? I started another thread on Progressive Presses on the Reloading section a while ago.

Had one in Belmont 9mm club ammo a couple of months ago. Also had a couple when first setting up my progressive, Now got a powder check die and things running smoothly.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I had a couple in 45 when I 1st setup for it.
    Had a faulty part in the hopper that was causing it to bind.
    All fixed and no issues. Do run a powder check on that setup now.
    It's pretty obvious when you get one, round sounds REALLY different, and the recoil impulse is different.
    I've seen a number of people fire another round after the prior one was obviously under charged.. Without checking the barrel.. I usually move to the other side of the range.
    Have loaded over 10k 9mm and never had any issue on that setup

I started out with a Beretta M9 with some cheapie mag pouches. I've upgraded gear as funds allowed, CR speed belt, DAA mag pouches and just upgraded to a S&W M&P in 9mm with warren tactical sights, in a bladetech black ice holster. The gun was $1200, the holster was around $100 when you allow for shipping etc from the states.

The Beretta was enough to get me started in IPSC, and I've done reasonably well with it, but realistically it's got nothing on the CZ shadows and the striker fired guns. The D/A, S/A trigger means you have to get used to two very different trigger pulls and it was too easy to flick the safety on when racking the slide under pressure.

The first choice to make is which division you want to shoot in, I started shooting before leaving school so production was the easy pick. I was only working part time so I didn't have too much money to spare, my full setup, gun, mags belt etc was less than $1500. Wheras for standard or open you'll likely need to front up a bit more to get going.